Hotel Howard Johnson in San Pedro de Macoris

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
A while ago there was a thread asking about the best hotel in San Pedro de Macoris and the Howard Johnson was mentioned as one of them. Yesterday I had 2 friends in need of a hotel room and I send them over there.
SURPRISE............. The room was RD 1900 for the two of them and they had no pesos to pay so they offered US dollars.
"Sure we take dollars, the exchange rate is 25 PESOS FOR 1 DOLLAR (At most of the places changing in town the exchange is 33 or 34, but at the Hotel Howard Johnson they offer you 25.
I don't think there is anything positive left to say with exception of AVOID THIS Howard Johnson in San Pedro de Macoris if you don't want to be taken for a fool.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Don´t worry, is the same in all hotels, always the exchange rate is under the exchange rates of the exchange houses, they have it pritty under, normaly is about between 3 to 5 pesos of diference.

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
I don't think don't worry is the right answer.

These are VERY, VERY BAD BUSINESS MANNERS and an INSULT to every client.
Certainly helps the public image of the country and his people.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Any time I have been in a foreign country all hotels and restaurants give unfavorable exchange rates. That hotel was decent when I stayed there and there sure aren't many better options in san pedro.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Well, the hotels are not an exchange agency or a bank, they aren't regulated, if that's their policy they could change it in a bank and pay the bill with local currency.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
HJ's in SPdeM and more

Well, the HJ in SPdeM does have almost everything that you may want provided that a few extravagancies like water, electricity, direct dialling and Internet are not on your list of requirements.

Hotel Delta on Sarasota near Churchill in SD always gives a good exchange rate for US$ & Euros far above par for usual hotel rates.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
kbf said:
I don't think there is anything positive left to say with exception of AVOID THIS Howard Johnson in San Pedro de Macoris if you don't want to be taken for a fool.

Actually the thing to say is to pay with pesos at whatever rate you can get, better than 25:1. They run a hotel and charge in pesos not dollars so if they want to give 25:1 get a better deal. Nobody is being ripped off - their sign, I bet, says Hotel and not Bank or Cambio. I can imagine buying pesos in San Pedro is pretty easy at many locations so 10 minutes you are back with pesos.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
Having spent a lot of time in San Pedro I would have to say that Howard Johnsons is the best hotel there. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff is extremely helpful and friendly. (If you do not like loud noise do not get a room overlooking the Malecon on the weekends. The place bustles and the competing music goes until well after midnight.)
As Rick said it is very easy to exchange USD for pesos. BTW you get a great exchange rate if you pay by credit card.