shag at o'shays

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i don't know if there is some in-joke (you know....got lost on the way to cork and ended up in the dom rep kind of thing), but what the bugger is so irish about jos? o'shays (not o'shea's?) irish pub in cabarete.

when i asked the waitress for a shag, not only did she not bring me any tobacco.................but she didn't get her kit off either.

anyway, almost four hundred pesos for three local beers and a coke is ridiculous..........so that's why i did a runner.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
bochinche said:
...almost four hundred pesos for three local beers and a coke is ridiculous....
Well at least they seem to be charging in pesos again...

too many pesos, but pesos nonetheless.

I'll stay at LAX - thanks.

Gregg

G

gary short

bochinche said:
i don't know if there is some in-joke (you know....got lost on the way to cork and ended up in the dom rep kind of thing), but what the bugger is so irish about jos? o'shays (not o'shea's?) irish pub in cabarete.

when i asked the waitress for a shag, not only did she not bring me any tobacco.................but she didn't get her kit off either.

anyway, almost four hundred pesos for three local beers and a coke is ridiculous..........so that's why i did a runner.
Well then aren't you Irish, doing a runner......haha...you'd have to explain what a shag was to anybody that twasn't Irish. Ha maybe she didn't get her kit off cause you didn't explain the fact that in Ireland only drunken hoes would have anything to do with you let alone serve you a beer.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
badpiece33 said:
Why pay their prices when anywhere else on the Island the prices are 70% less. They price like they are located in midtown manhattan not on a 3rd world beach. Go anywhere but Oshays is my advise and save your money.
Unless you want to be shagged with your clothes on.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
craigers said:
OShays is a great place - you get what you pay for.

but what is it you are getting that justifies the such a high price premium?

Fancy glasses and plastic fish decorations?......hmm....atmosphere??.....I personally think it's a rip off....but if the demand is there then I imagine the owner is one very happy man/woman! :laugh:

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
You get what you pay for

I had two beers there. Served by one ugly bartender, that I had to chase down to get any service at all.
If thats what you get for your money I'll pass.
When my beer is empty there should be another full one right behind it.
Now thats getting what you pay for.
Hifiman

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The owner DOES NOT care.
He is not looking for repeat business, and will continue to milk his one time customers.

Last edited:

tigre72

May 6, 2003
Yeah, very true that they rip people off...which is why I have a plastic bag full of little plastic fish in my freezer at home! Useful for when friends stop by for a cocktail.

:cheeky:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I had 1 drink there once.....ONCE! I will NEVER go to that place again. I sat at the bar and listenened to the owner boast to someone how he owned some bars in Philadelphia. He pretty much sat there and observed his son (the manager) ordering the staff around like they were slaves. He was reading Spanish from a manual and sounded like a fool. Then the bill came...well my 1 drink was the price of what I normally pay for 3 here. It was obvious that they are looking to rip off tourists who dont know better.

Then, later I hear so many stories of underhanded business practices like doctored up bills, etc. There was a long thread on here some time ago with dozens of people commenting on O'Shays in a negative light.

Stay away I say.

Larry

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A tourist attraction

Eye candy is all that it really is. It is an attractive place on a nice beach. All lit of at night with the music playing. It attracts the tourists like a magnet to metal. No, the owner does not care about return customers and he doesn't give a damm about Ex-pats either. There are enough of those airplanes coming down everyday to keep O'Shays going for a long time to come.

If you don't like the food, prices whatever...don't go there. I won't and I don't!

PEACE

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
DominicanScotty said:
Eye candy is all that it really is. It is an attractive place on a nice beach. All lit of at night with the music playing. It attracts the tourists like a magnet to metal. No, the owner does not care about return customers and he doesn't give a damm about Ex-pats either. There are enough of those airplanes coming down everyday to keep O'Shays going for a long time to come.

If you don't like the food, prices whatever...don't go there. I won't and I don't!

PEACE

That's the bottom line. The owner doesn't care about ex-pats or return customers. Thats why all the ex-pats don't like the place. He cares about tourists seeing his place and eating/drinking there. He knows tourists dont know any better, so he severely overcharges and provides poor service at the same time. He knows there will be another plane full of new tourists to follow.

Larry

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
DominicanScotty .....It attracts the tourists like a magnet to metal. ... PEACE[/QUOTE said:
...like bees to honey.

...like flies to carrion.

...like monkeys to pies.

-

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I should say....

I have to admit that I did go there to eat while there for 2 months. Some tourist friends wanted to take another friend and his Dominican "wife to be" out for dinner. I protested but lost out on my bid to go to another less espensive and better serviced restaurant. We had a large group however the bill was almost like a mortgage, 23,000 pesos and that was just for dinner. We then went out later. We tipped the waitress very well and thanked everyone.

Just as we were about to leave, the waitress somehow discovered that we were about 300 pesos short on the bill. She began slapping the palm of her hand with the other hand and nastily demanding that "someone better pay the 300 pesos". I looked around at the group and said, "I told you about how this place is".

Whewwwwww! Never again...