Where are the Rifles in the DR?

LUMUMBA

Nov 14, 2005
Hola,

I'm a Colombian living in New York. I spent a few months in the DR two years ago and noticed that while pistols seemed to be in abundance, I rarely seen any rifles (only a few in the hands of what seem to be very incompetent soldiers - one even had the barrel stuck down in the mud while leaning on the butt) and only the occasional beat-up shotgun strapped to the back of some poorly paid "watchiman". I was just wondering what the deal with this was. I never really thought about it until after I left.

Your comments are appriciated.

P.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The answer is the government prefers to have itself better armed than the populace. You can figure out the rest.

Regards,
PJT

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
LUMUMBA said:
Hola,

I spent a few months in the DR two years ago and noticed that while pistols seemed to be in abundance, I rarely seen any rifles (only a few in the hands of what seem to be very incompetent soldiers - one even had the barrel stuck down in the mud while leaning on the butt) and only the occasional beat-up shotgun strapped to the back of some poorly paid "watchiman". IP.

Did you notice that the watcheymen hardly ever have their rifles loaded? I guess they could always say " Stop or I'll shoot!! ... if I had any bullets"

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
LUMUMBA said:
Hola,

I'm a Colombian living in New York. I spent a few months in the DR two years ago and noticed that while pistols seemed to be in abundance, I rarely seen any rifles (only a few in the hands of what seem to be very incompetent soldiers - one even had the barrel stuck down in the mud while leaning on the butt) and only the occasional beat-up shotgun strapped to the back of some poorly paid "watchiman". I was just wondering what the deal with this was. I never really thought about it until after I left.

Your comments are appriciated.

P.
I suppose is due to the lack of Hunting (i.e. Large Game, etc.) in the DR and the only need for a firearm is for personal or property protection and if that's the case, then a handgun would be the weapon of choice or a shotgun for home and property. The need for a rifle is not there.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
as with everything in the dr , its a matter of who you know. From what my firends tell me, it is illegal to have rifles. the goverment doesnt want the populace to have things that represent the image of rebellion...and as someone said if they keep the people less armed than themselves the better off the goverment is, in their mind. That said anyone in the goverment or the national guard can have a rifle. we hunted wild boar with police sniper rifles, ak47's and m-16's....the general prohibition against rifles is probably one reason iar rifles are so popular down their. It is common to see those paint ball gun air tanks converted and installed on air rifles. I certainly hope most of those watchmen have their shotguns unloaded....I have seen way to many sitting with their shotguns across their lap and their finger in the trigger guard!!!!!!!!......many times I have had my girlfirend and myself move off to the side, because they really dont care where the barrle of their shotgun is pointing.... dont be in the line of the barrel is the best advice i can give anyone!!!!! ha ha ha. I went one day to Santo Domingo when my buddy had to get his pistol permit renewed.. the line was HUGE.... and thats just a normal day I guess.......so pistol are more prevelant than many think.. and it is a certainly not a poor person thing...they hardly can legally afford a pistol. the price is about 3 times what they cost in america.. then the ammo costs more than most could afford. then there is the cost of the permit. I think it cost my buddy about 3000 pesos although there many have a fine in there , because he was late getting it re registered..........bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
and it is a certainly not a poor person thing...they hardly can legally afford a pistol. the price is about 3 times what they cost in america.. then the ammo costs more than most could afford. then there is the cost of the permit. I think it cost my buddy about 3000 pesos although there many have a fine in there , because he was late getting it re registered..........bob
Your right bob,
I am a member of West-Side pistol range in Manhattan and usually buy my ammo through them. I pay appx. $3 for a box of Winchester(.22); $10 for a box of (9mm) and a whopping $25 for a box of (.44):nervous:

p.s. The nose and lungs full of soot and lead is free of course.

Sep 19, 2005
then figure the that the ammo cost that PLUS 25-50% more down in the DR... the cheapest stuff is sually cases of shotgun ammo, and you can probably do ok on bulk .22 ammo, but a box of 45auto down there!!!!!!! whoa!!!!. that would feed a poor family for a week or more.......bob

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I seem to remember

laurapasinifan said:
then figure the that the ammo cost that PLUS 25-50% more down in the DR... the cheapest stuff is sually cases of shotgun ammo, and you can probably do ok on bulk .22 ammo, but a box of 45auto down there!!!!!!! whoa!!!!. that would feed a poor family for a week or more.......bob

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that a private citizen could legaly not own anything larger than a 9mm. Any body know for sure.

Sep 19, 2005
well I just use the .45 ammo as an example...but i have been in the gun store in Santiago, and I am pretty sure i saw all kinds of pistol ammo there....actually my buddy has a .40 glock thats larger than a 9mm!!!!!!...bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
interesting?

bienamor said:
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that a private citizen could legaly not own anything larger than a 9mm. Any body know for sure.
It's interesting due to the fact that a 9mm round is somewhat equivalent to a .38 round (measured differently), therefore a tad bit smaller than a .357, but a .357 Magnum can use the rounds of a .38 Saturday Night Special.

Now bob, Is it safe to assume that due to the cost factor of ammo that the police and military would sacrifice training because of cost. Since a box of ammo would probably be equivalent to a days pay?

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
Ammo

If I recall correctly, I paid about US$24.00 for a box of 9mm ammo in Santo Domingo a few months ago.
However, you can buy the cheaper shells that come apart in the magazine and fill everything with gun powder, which, fortunately I noticed before firing the gun.

Sep 19, 2005
I doubt the goverment worries about ammo costs......and in reality the 9mm is a few thousands of an inch smaller in dia than the 38 cal round....but I think people are carrying .40 calibers!.....9mm ammo has to be one of the cheapest ammos to buy for a pistol outside of the .22's . there is just soooo much of that ammo made....but I bet few in the DR actaully practice their markmanship!!!!!!!! so a box will last a long time! ha ha ha....bob

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Back in April, I went to a gun shop and shooting range on Bolivar Ave. in Santo Domingo. They had all sorts of weapons in there but the owner is 'in' with the government and gets the hook-up with those "special" weapons. I paid $550 pesos for a box of 9mm ammo. So it's more or less $20-odd dollars for that, expensive compared to anything I can get here in Virginia. But then again, this place has a high number of NRA members......can't wait til the XM-8 comes out, hahahahaha

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
That thing expired, man. The thing about gun control is that it forces people that can't obtain a weapon to go 'underground' by illegal means. So gun control sucks a$$.......responsible gun ownership is what people need. Educate the people..........

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Jon S. said:
That thing expired, man. The thing about gun control is that it forces people that can't obtain a weapon to go 'underground' by illegal means. So gun control sucks a$$.......responsible gun ownership is what people need. Educate the people..........
If that's the case let me know when one of those military-issued XM-8 falls off the truck;)