A RIDE ON OMSA

E

ECH

My ride on OMSA today. I want to share my experience on my public bus ride today. First. OMSA is the greatest thing that has happened in the DR in a long time. Good public transportation. I will say they missed the boat by not air conditioning the big Mercedes busses, especially when it rains and the windows must be closed. I was traveling on Kennedy and standing near the rear door. The door opened to allow a pregnant lady to board. They can't go thru the turnstile AT THE FRONT OF THE BUS. She was GREAT with child (thought she would deliver any minute) and had difficulty boarding the bus. Six young "juvenile" Dominicans between the ages of 16 and 22 were sitting in the back section of the bus. They were dressed to the max with designer jeans, Reeboks, gold jewelry, rings, chains and watches. Not one moved when the lady got on. They just looked at each other as if they knew what they should do but was not going to be the first to do it. An elderly gentleman got up and offered the lady his seat and began a tongue lashing of the young men and their lack of manners. They replied they paid their money for the seat. Which proves what my grandma always said, "money can't buy class!" But wait, there is more. One the very same bus a few stops away an elderly gentleman (80+ years old) fell to the pavement while trying to board the bus. Many stood up and oh'd and ah'd but it was a young Dominican man, who was about 30, sitting near the front that saved the day. He literally VAULTED over that stupid turnstile in the front of the bus and assisted the gentleman to his feet. Then he helped him board the bus and finally gave him his own seat. Of course, the bus driver was sitting there all the while with his finger up his ass doing nothing but thinking of driving in the Indianapolis 500 or operating a thrill ride at Disneyland. It has been my experience after living here for over ten years that the poorer the Dominican the more likely he is to exhibit good manners. Maybe it is because he has no money to try to impress you with and good manners is all he has and all his mama was able to give him. I am far more impressed with good manners than with money and material things. I don't know who the young man was but my hat is off to him for being a GENTLEMAN. Almost an extinct breed any more!

C

C. Stering

Young punks aren't exclusive to the DR, here in California you see the degradation of basic polite manners all the time, your Grandmother was correct, money can't buy class. . .

. . . CES