Fernando Villalona in nyc ...

Sep 19, 2005
I heard Fernando Villilona will be playing in queens in early dec. not that i want to make it any more crowded than it is going to already be!..Just thought Id pass that on.....FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD......some place that starts with a J..I think........bob

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
if anyone finds detailed info about this, where and when, please post the info because I would love to go see him!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Funny how villalona can't even fill up small bars in santiago, even if the tickets are given away for free.
Anyone wants to see him for free, come to santiago.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
azb he played ab1 in santiago in july this year. I was there...it was packed. and standing room only on the dance floor...and i was scolded for leaving my camera at the house instead of in the SUV........wheres the chopo line?????????ha ha ha.....you dont like him huh?......of all the music i have been listening to lately, that my girlfriend has asked to to make CDs of...I guess I like him one of the least ....or better put I like others much more.........bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
azb he played ab1 in santiago in july this year. I was there...it was packed. and standing room only on the dance floor...and i was scolded for leaving my camera at the house instead of in the SUV........wheres the chopo line?????????ha ha ha.....you dont like him huh?......of all the music i have been listening to lately, that my girlfriend has asked to to make CDs of...I guess I like him one of the least ....or better put I like others much more.........bob
I like him but let me tell you why ambis1 was all packed. the same reason anthony santos (with krisspy) packed madison square garden. The dom york chopos love these types of muscians and ambis1 is the #1 spot for all dom yorks.
You will see that most serious type santiageros don't go to ambis. All the beautiful single girls in the bar at the back are all hookers. they all cater to dom yorks. Ifyou ask any serious type santiaguero to take you out, chances are, you will not end up in ambis, montebar or andy's ranch. these are all chopo dom york hangouts.
AZB

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Laurapasinifan... About Fernando Villalona

Regarding Fernando Villalona and his dwindling popularity just to give you some background info this is a merenguero who almost through his career away due to his addiction in the midst of great popularity in the late 80's and 90's. In my opinion he has what I call an 'on and off' career and I think his popularity today is only due to what he built for himself in the past. His merengue is a softer style and for the most part closer to one of traditional variations of Dominican merengue. Depending on where he performs he may or may not sell out. One who has followed Villalona's career from the 80's will definitely want to pay tribute to this merenguero. Modern day merengue followers probably know very little about Villalona and his legacy. His name is mentioned among merengue greats and as I stated before it's because of the career he built for himself in the past. Where he's going now- 'qui?n sabe' but I enjoy is older music.

His comeback album in 1996 rejuvenated his spirit for life and willingness to sing and that album 'Soy un hombre feliz' is my favorite followed by 'Confundido' and 'El ni?o mimado'. I also like some of his hit singles like Feliz cumb? and Carnaval...baile.. la calle de noche.

If you like Fernando Villalona go see him in concert. You should not have to rationalize your music taste. How prosaic the world would be if we all liked the same music.

Do enjoy!

LDG.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Knowing well that he didnt play much of his vast number of songs...I didnt like him that much.....I have since aquired many more of his songs and there are some i do like, but not nearly as much as others i have found...like Jose jose, alex ubago, luis miguel, luis fonsi, franco devita, Los temerarrios, just to name a few........but I am guessing they are playing a little different music.....I wasnt overly fond of El Prodigio when i saw him either.....I mean If you have a dance partner thats one thing...but just for listening...whole different ball game......bob

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
Knowing well that he didnt play much of his vast number of songs...I didnt like him that much.....I have since aquired many more of his songs and there are some i do like, but not nearly as much as others i have found...like Jose jose, alex ubago, luis miguel, luis fonsi, franco devita, Los temerarrios, just to name a few........but I am guessing they are playing a little different music.....I wasnt overly fond of El Prodigio when i saw him either.....I mean If you have a dance partner thats one thing...but just for listening...whole different ball game......bob

Obviously, you do not know about merengue. Do more research about Fernando Villalona and then give an opinion.

Sep 19, 2005
I have known about merenge for less than 6 months. I met a girl and i wanted to dance with her , she wanted to dance, but was worried about a poor partner..so I went out to learn. I didnt seek out songs just the way to dance merenge.....its nice because i get to dance with a girl i am crazy about....I ask her all the time...Bachata?...or merenge?... when ever a song comes on...she has to tell me which....either one is fine..salsa is out of the question at the moment.......do i need to learn more about merenge?......cant I like any song i want? Jose jose is on now.....something about a paloma...sounds great ...........for sure........ha ha ha...Hey i aint affraid to learn though!......bob

Sep 19, 2005
the club is the Jubilee near laguardia airport...actually its the gran rancho jubilee... and the date is the 23 rd of nov.....so much for my buddys even coming close on the date! huh?........have fun...Ill be in the DR....bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
the club is the Jubilee near laguardia airport...actually its the gran rancho jubilee... and the date is the 23 rd of nov.....so much for my buddys even coming close on the date! huh?........have fun...Ill be in the DR....bob
Ihave been to this place. an interesting joint. the owner of restaurant is from santiago but the owner of the building is a pakistani guy. I almost felt like I was back in DR. there is a disco up stairs. 3 beers set me back 30 dollars.
Nice place, I must admit.
AZB

Sep 19, 2005
no chopos?.......ha ha ha.....my buddy says they imported the materials to build the place or to decorate...which ever from the dr....I saw a picture of the outside and it looks like it belongs in the DR.....bob