Good news, pita bread lovers.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
For those of you who were paying high price for american brand pita bread packages, here is a good news. Now we have another locally baked pan pita company in the market, "Moulin d' Or". Its 100% natural without preservatives. Its baked and packaged in santo domingo. The good thing about this bread is that its thin and huge. You can roll wrap sandwiches, excellent for shish kebab type wrap sandwiches and shawarma type rolls. You can eat it with indian food as well. Its much better than pan Libanesa because its bigger size. I used to buy Ali baba's pan pita but they were think and too small in size. This one is in perfect size for shawarma type sandwiches because its thin and huge in diameter. The price 42 pesos and change. It says each package comes in with 6 breads, mine came in with 9 and the other package has 7 inside. So I see that they are employing 100% dominican labor force. Great for a change. hahahahahah

www.moulindor.com.do

enjoy it
AZB

P.S. Bought the bread in Super pola on bartelome colon, santiago.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, my mistake. The promotion says 50% more so thats why I had 9 instead of 6. But make sure you get the highest number of breads inside because one package had 9 and the other had 8 (previously thought to be 7).
Great taste and good value. Buy a whole bunch now and freeze them.

May 12, 2005
Have to agree with AZB. Pitas are great. You can put lots of quality meats and other stuff inside. Also pitas are low in carbs if you are carb conscious. I'd take a pita over crappy white wonder bread anyday. I used to live in Paterson, NJ and there was a large arab population and freash pitas were readily available.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
hehehe, wonder bread .... I wonder where the bread is!

Thanks AZB - I'll be sure to stop by and pick some up, we're big pita fans :D

Stay well,
Amy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Does Playero have this Pita bread, or do I have to bring down my own supply?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tamborista said:
Does Playero have this Pita bread, or do I have to bring down my own supply?

The big Playero has frozen Pita bread in packages of 5 in the frozen food section in the rear part of the store. They have white and intergral (ie. whole wheat) It is in one of the cases that are lengthwise. It is usually on the side of the case where you need to stand facing the front of the store.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Ken!

I will bring 3 packages from home and freeze 2!
We are neighbors, I will look for you next week.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
AZB...why don't you tell us how to use those pita breads. You should know some nice recipes. I just had an excellent and easy dish with them. I toasted them in my toaster. I made a simple salad....lettuce, cherry tomatoes cut up, celery. I then made a curry sauce using mayonaise, milk, curry, pepper, and lemon. Put the pita on a plate...cover with salad....cover with sauce. Pick it up and eat it. It's messy but great.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tamborista, I checked when at Playero this morning. The pita bread was in the frozen food case that is crosswise in the store and closest to the soaps, paper towels, etc. They were on the side of the case where you need to stand facing the back of the store.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This may be asking for a lot, what about Hummous or or Tabouli at Playero?
I found both in Supermercado Nacional last year in Santiago.
I may have go "food" shopping for the day!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I got a better idea

Snuffy said:
AZB...why don't you tell us how to use those pita breads. You should know some nice recipes. I just had an excellent and easy dish with them. I toasted them in my toaster. I made a simple salad....lettuce, cherry tomatoes cut up, celery. I then made a curry sauce using mayonaise, milk, curry, pepper, and lemon. Put the pita on a plate...cover with salad....cover with sauce. Pick it up and eat it. It's messy but great.
Snuffy, why not I simply invite you to my BBQ, the next time I would have one in my house. Deal?
AZB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tamborista said:

Good grief! Now I am over my head.

Don't know if they have them, but I do know thatthe owners, Gino and Rosi Valconi are very interested in feedback from customers about products they want but are not presently stocked. If you don't find them, Barbara and I will help put you in contact with them.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Who's Arguing With That...Not Me...Deal

I consider myself invited...thank you. Those are great pita's and we have used them with salads, meats, and other dishes.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
If you cand find it....try this recipe

Tamborista said:

Hummous is made from ground chick peas (they?re known as Garbanzo beans in the Americas, North, Central and South. but I shall call just them chick peas in this recipe.) It can be made from dried chick peas or if you want a quicker to prepare version, (10 minutes from start to eat) the canned precooked variety can be used.

INGREDIENTS
20oz(or)500 grammes Dried chick peas,
5 tablespoons tahini or extra vergine olive oil
3 large cloves or
5 small cloves garlic, peeled and sliced lengthways thinly or minced/crushed
1 teaspoon fine salt (more if you like...)

Method
If you?re using dried chick peas start here:
1. Soak them overnight in lots of water then drain and rinse well.
2. In a large pot put the rinsed chick peas in 2 liters (4 pints) water and boil
3. Keep cooking until the chick peas are soft right through - about an hour unless you're using a pressure cooker.
4. Sometimes the chick peas have a light skin which comes off during the cooking. If so, take the loose skins out of the water after cooking.
5. Pour off the water but keep about a pint (500ml) of the cooking water to one side with also a dozen or so peas on a plate.
6. Rinse the cooked chick peas ? this will remove some more of the skins but don?t worry if some remain.

If you?re using the canned precooked chick peas start here:
Drain the can/s but keep the liquid to one side with also a dozen or so peas on a plate.

7. Put the chick peas in the blender with a little of the liquid start slowly
8. Add the tahina (or oil) salt and garlic and continue blending
9. Add more of the water slowly and gradually until the mixture is smooth and there are no bits of chick pea or garlic floating around.
10. Put in a tub or bowl and leave to cool. When cool it solidifies slightly.
11. Garnish with parsley or mint and ground sweet red pepper, a spoon of olive oil and the dozen whole chick peas.

Personal touches:
I like the texture a little grainy so I don?t blend it too much or too fast.
I like a woody taste so I add some chopped peanuts or other nuts when I?m blending it
You can increase or decrease the quantities of garlic to suit your taste but garlic is one of the essential flavours of hummous, without garlic it's not hummous!
If there's a Levantine grocers nearby, go in and ask for some za'atar (wild thyme) this goes great with all Levantine dips and foods

If, like me, you like an exotic taste - add a dash of an aromatic like anis, arak, ouzo, pernod or raki. Keep the rest of the bottle to slurp with the hummous......

And the pita is great.....

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
Good grief! Now I am over my head.

Don't know if they have them, but I do know thatthe owners, Gino and Rosi Valconi are very interested in feedback from customers about products they want but are not presently stocked. If you don't find them, Barbara and I will help put you in contact with them.
Ken,
Please ask if they can get some Heinz Baked Beans.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks for The Recipe, it looks Yummy.

I am on vacation and and the most cooking I will do may involve brewing coffee or toasting an "Everything" Bagel that I brought down from H & H!

I will stock up from Supermercado Nacional on anything I can not find in PP or Sosua!

http://www.oceanbeauty.com/brands/2sheiks.htm

Ken if you get really ambitious, here is the link to the Biggest Wholesaler!