Best memories of the DR? (I)

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
Here are mine, from 1993-1996:

1. Sitting on my terrace in El Millon on a sunny day, drinking Presidente and eating "pollo guisado" with a close friend.

2. Coming early to a party and watching as the whole room went silent (one guy even cried) when someone put on "Por Quien Merece Amor" by Silvio Rodriguez.

3. Walking through the shady streets of Gazcue on my way to the Hellen Kellogg library (still open?) to get some English-language books.

4. Reading those books while lying in a hammock in my in-laws' beautiful backyard.

5. Driving to Constanza, marveling at the mountains and rivers ... stopping off to get real fried pork skin with limon ... entering the gorgeous little town.

6. Seeing Juan Luis Guerra in concert at Duarte Stadium (?) in 1995. Feeling pride (although I'm not Dominican) at seeing all the Dominican flags waving around.

7. Drinking red wine outside El Museo del Jamon in the Colonial Zone. Drinking Presidente at Cafe Atlantico. Drinking Presidente outside my local "colmado." etc. etc. etc.

8. Taking a boat around Samana and taking in the site of thousands of palm trees.

9. Floating in the crystal-clear blue water in front of the Hamaca. Thinking, "This is paradise ..."

10. Going to a show (at Casa de Americas?) called "De Trova a Trova," in which various musicians got up on stage and played the greatest songs of Silvio, Pablo Milanes and others. Later, we all went to a bar on the Malecon, where the musicians took guitars off the wall and played the most wonderful music in the world for us.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
since you have lived so many years in this island and still miss it so much, why not come back? The hell with getting married or supporting a family or a novia. Come here for yourself now. Buy lapela for 50 pesos and have fun the whole weekend with a young girl of your choice.
hehehehehe, me make a joke again.
AZB

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
You can't recapture the magic of youth. I made two trips back to the DR, and both were disappointing. One can't relive the past.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
That magic is a part of you silly - if you choose to forget/loose it then you're the only loosing out ..... no matter whether you're in the DR or not.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Millner said:
You can't recapture the magic of youth. I made two trips back to the DR, and both were disappointing. One can't relive the past.
You lived there less than 10 years ago. The magic of youth? I don't get it. You act as if it were 30-40 years ago.

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
Yes, "jruane" is right: It was only 10 years ago, but I'm now in my 30s instead of my 20s, which makes it much harder to just drop everything and go. Plus, for me , it was kind of like a once-in-a-lifetime experience - one that can't be recaptured (not because I'm too old, but because the initial excitement just wouldn't be there).

Chrimoya, I am the biggest Silvio fan in the world, and it's HIS music (as opposed to, say, Juan Luis Guerra's) that reminds me most of the DR. Listening to songs like "Companera" and "Casiopea" reminds me of sitting on my terrace during an apagon, with only my walkman, a bottle of Presidente and a candle as my companions. I would let my wind wander as I looked out over the dark neighborhood (El Millon) and let myself be lifted upward by Silvio's voice and guitar. It was a transcendent experience.

Funnily enough, we just had some week-long apagones here in Florida (due to Hurricane Wilma), so I was able to relive some of this. It was strange to hear the sound of generators again and look out onto total darkness. But the whole experience was missing something: heart, soul, depth ... things that I found in the DR and do not see here. Florida is sterile and dull; Santo Domingo is rich and vibrant and teeming with the "real stuff" of life. And that's why I miss it.

PJ White

Oct 25, 2005
Millner,
After living in Samana and Jarabacoa for the best part of eight years, I know exactly how you feel. The last paragraph of your post really hit home. Florida is boring and dull and too comfortable. Santo Domingo is where life is really being lived. I miss it intensely.
But, like you I struggle with my emotions and reality. And I'm probably stuck here tighter than you. My Dominican wife and I have two young children. She doesn't want them to grow up to be moto concho drivers. So, maybe now you understand.
But, I haven't given up yet and neither should you!

Millner

Nov 16, 2005
PJ,
Do you live in Florida now? At first, I thought it might recapture some of that special Latin American "feel" (which, in my mind, equals tranquility, a real zest for living and an easy acceptance of whatever comes your way), but it most certainly does not. Everything here is strip malls, chain restaurants and consumerism run rampant. Even with the big Latin population, there's no soul ... more like an "air-conditioned nightmare" (to quote some writer whose name I forget).

I, too, have a child, so I take your point about the moto-concho drivers. (The Dominican wife, on the other hand, is now an ex.) He's 11 now, so I suppose I can move back when he enters college here, which is just 7 or so years away ...