Exchanging money

krand88

Nov 17, 2005
Is Canadian Money a good way to travel with for exchanging in the DR or would you suggest Us Money? I will be staying at the Bahia Principe in San Juan over the xmas holidays. Any help is appreciated thankyou.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you use money, US dollars better than Canadian because more in demand.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Bring US, skip the ATM's with their high fees from your bank back at home and exchange outside the hotel as they tend to give poor exchange rates.

Never buy at the airport BEFORE you leave as the rates and fees are criminal, and don't excahnge more than you need as if you get home with some extra pesos, the rates at the airport when you land are even more criminal.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
ATM cards

Be careful using an ATM card in the DR, a couple of years ago when I was in the there I used my ATM card several times. When I got home I found over $600 worth of unauthorized withdrawals.

Another person who I met on that trip had the same thing happen to him.

The bottom line is, the banks in the DR do not operate under the same set of rules as in the developed world.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
CyaBye3015 said:
Be careful using an ATM card in the DR, a couple of years ago when I was in the there I used my ATM card several times. When I got home I found over $600 worth of unauthorized withdrawals.

Another person who I met on that trip had the same thing happen to him.

The bottom line is, the banks in the DR do not operate under the same set of rules as in the developed world.
The majority of these cases occur when people use private ATMs located on the street or in small stores. As I won't use a private ATM located in a bodega in NY City, I won't use one here. I haven't heard of any problems when using an ATM at one of the local major banks such as Banco Popular. In fact, Dominican Society has become even more dependant on ATMs than the US. The majority of Dominican employers pay their payroll through direct depost into ATM (cash card) accounts.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
HOWMAR said:
The majority of these cases occur when people use private ATMs located on the street or in small stores. As I won't use a private ATM located in a bodega in NY City, I won't use one here. I haven't heard of any problems when using an ATM at one of the local major banks such as Banco Popular. In fact, Dominican Society has become even more dependant on ATMs than the US. The majority of Dominican employers pay their payroll through direct depost into ATM (cash card) accounts.

LMAO,

Banco Popular is where both of us got took!!!!

Do a search

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Gee, you are close - OK not close at all - it is actually about 84.7 cents US for one Canadian dollar significantly more than 1/2. It costs about $1.18 CDN to buy 1 US dollar. Not $2.00 which would be half. Learn your math.