Kids Auction - eBay

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have looked at this and it's just too hard to make work in an easy way.
Having 2 auctions running simultaneously, one online and one live, is almost impossible to coordinate, especially with the eBay constraints etc.

Plan B...

We will open the DR1 Live Chat and people will be able to bid via that.
As each item comes up for auction, we will post the bids as quick as we can
via 2-3 people that will be connected at Eddy's and in the live chat.

Yes, I know it's not the best solution, but it's the best we can do, considering the nature of the task. Plus I'm sure it will be a lot of fun

So...

As of Thursday, 24th Nov, the chat room will be open from 8.45pm for the auction.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
By Chat room? Our DR1 chat room?

Who's going to man such big job? How will money be collected?

Why not do the whole thing on ebay. It might get a bigger audience.

I'm thinking that most Americans are going to be with their families on Thursday night and may not be in front of the PC

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just a suggestion

We have how many active members? End the action Wednesday and whatever doesn't sell do that at Eddie's.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
By Chat room? Our DR1 chat room?

Who's going to man such big job? How will money be collected?

Why not do the whole thing on ebay. It might get a bigger audience.

I'm thinking that most Americans are going to be with their families on Thursday night and may not be in front of the PC

As each item is up to put bids on at Eddies, one person will be online and moderate/handle/offer the bids there as well by a computer as Eddies.
Not very complicated at all.

The issue with Ebay is that last bid counts.. and then to make the 2 at the very same time..that can be difficult..

Of course, many Americans would be at dinner.. But then again, the world is big.. and same would have happened on Ebay as they would have to follow up on an item before bidding ends if they really wanted it.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Whatever! I'm not biding in a chatroom

Is it a better idea or possibility to put up threads so people can start bidding here on DR1 already now? I mean and then put bids, up to the auction starts at Eddies?
It would be possible.. I see your point about chatrooms.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
eBay isn't going to happen, period. I have looked at it and it just doesn't work when you try and sync it with a live auction.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Whatever! I'm not biding in a chatroom

Fine, nobody is forcing you to.
But hey, thanks for the constructive feedback ;)

I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this.

Last edited:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Is it a lot of work to open up a temporary sub-forum for this auction? Then it's in everyone's face, and perhaps Carina's suggestion of starting a thread and posting on it would work. I'm not sure what other way to handle this?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I like the idea of Ebaying the items with auction ending Weds. PM then having anything that doesn't sell going to live auction at Eddies.
I also don't object to bidding in the chat room but then the issue of how to make payment comes up.........
A sub forum or individual item threads also works for me.....
Like Anna said......

Whatever!!!!

BTW......I'm willing to put up a container of MommC's famous Bolognese Sauce for four for auction.....the kicker is it would have to be picked up in JD AFTER I arrive!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
I'm open to suggestions on how to handle this.

I'm for opening a thread on each donated item in a subforum. I'm sure Anna would and I would moderate it for you to keep all the posts to bidding posts only. Amount in US Dollars and method of payment only. DR1 is able to take credit cards?

This will also give people a few days to get their bids in and at Eddies, the auction can continue and people can continue bidding in the respective threads, if they choose.

At a prearranged cut-off time, we can close all the posts. If Anna is willing, we can be on the phone to one another for any last minute hitches. The last post before closing is the winning bidder. But I'm not for bidding in a chatroom.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ok, I think a sub forum with a thread for each item is the best way to go.
I looked at installing an auction script, but people would need to register,
learn how to use it, plus we still have some of the same eBay issues.

So this is what we are going to do...

1. Create a new forum called "Kids Auction", this will be available within the next 48hrs and closed after the auction. This will give posters 7 days to get in their bids, plus it will give the auctioneer some min starting points for the live auction.

2. Each auction item will have it's own thread.

3. Only US$/RD$ amounts will be allowed to be posted in a thread.
Any other text, chatter or questions will removed, regardless of the poster.

4. Bidders will be updated live via the message board and live chat of the current bid amounts. Yes, it's open to all sorts of errors and problems, but hey, it's going to be fun! As soon as an item has been auctioned, the corresponding thread will be closed. I'm sure we will have enough people on hand with laptops to do this, especially as Eddy's has wireless.
We will not except any compensation claims for RSI due to excessive use of the "refresh" button :)

5. Payment can be made after the auction via PayPal, bank transfer, credit card, cheque or cash. Anyone that fails to "pony up" their bid amount, will be assigned as CC's personal "Gimp".

If I have missed anything, let me know, thanks.