Help ship Baseball Equipment for Kids

M

Mike Martin

I have the baseball equipment and jerseys, many new from Canadian youth team ages 10 to 15 that I want to donate to a charity in DR to be given to a local school or charity. This equipment is repaced every season and is in excellent condition and many of the jerseys have not even been worn. Can anyone suggest a way to have it shipped to DR since funds are not available to pay air freight. Do any airlines offer help? I have one charity in mind but will donate to any group working with needy kids

L

Lori

Try contacting Air Transat. They have helped with charity things similar to your cause before.

C

curious

Suggest you donate them directly to a Church down in the DR, to ensure that they get to the children and don't end up being resold.. This is a very nice thing you are considering. On previous trips of mine to the DR I've brought baseballs and an occasional glove, these are things that Dominican children very often cannot afford. I suggest you ask around in the Dominican community in your town, if there is one and try to find a way to ship these equipment and jersey's.. You might try to contact Dominican churches in NYC if you can track one down, I frequently see Dominican priests returning on flights I take to/from the DR and they appear to stay connected to their churches back in the DR.

Nice of you to do this!

D

Dianne Christy

I am sure your donation would be well appreciated. Several weeks ago, in the Chicago Tribune there was an article on how the possible baseball players were so poor they could not afford gloves or any other equipment. Their ages were 14 to 16. The possibility of practicing with equipment would be such a joy for them. Since we are leaving to the DR in several weeks, I have been looking at garage sales for used gloves with no success. But as my husband had advised me, boys and young men do not like to part with their gloves. I agree, a church is the best place to donate them, where they will be distributed and not sold.

M

Mike Martin

Thanks for the good suggestions. I have also received 3 suggestiond by E Mail which I will follow up ....sounds very promising. I will post a follow up to this board when I have more information. Does anyone have any personal knowledge about Integracion Juvenil Inc, a charitable organization working in Puerta Plata. I have a Brochure that states it is a non profit organization founded in 1978 to improve the conditions of streetchildren ages 8 to 14. A Canadian woman I respect has collected and arrange shipments for this group and has a Canadian Charity licence but is unlikely to be able to ship befor next summer and I want to get this baseball equipment moving... sooner ....it reqiures a lot of storage space.

N

noelle

Depending where you are located... you may contact Air Transat... They have sent shipments here ... POP free of charge. If you need more information, please e-mail and I will try to get you a contact.

Re Canadian woman... involved with Integration Juvenil... I know her and I think that she has done a super job.. unfortunately, she is missing back up help to really complete her endeavour. This past summer met couple of volunteers who are thinking of helping with the project. Anybody interested in volunteering time would be welcome. This is a great project.

Noelle Sofy's B&B