What will happen in 2008 ?

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
I have thought of starting this thread since early this year and actually started a while back but was interrupted and had to step away from my PC.

I am new to the new thread business, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

In May 2008 DR will elect a new president. The most interesting and definitely different thing about this election will be that none of the 3 usual suspects (PLD, PRD, PRSC) has a buzz candidate. In fact I believe it is safe to say that Dominicans are pretty skeptical of anyone positive coming out of these parties. But since 2000 a few of the countries richest men have been quietly promoting Candelier. Some would say that they started before that but a like 2000 because it was clear when HIPO was not permitted to relieve Candelier of his duty by one of these businessman. Now they have the same man that handled Hipolitos first presidential campaign (2000) and 6 other Latin American presidents. This man is very sought after in LA but he chose to handle Candelier for free, stating that he knows this is a sure thing.

I agree with him in that Candelier with, 72% of the population thinking is better than fried chicken, has a very good chance especially when you take into account that the men behind his candidacy control a good part of media and can get the biggest names in TV and Radio to back him publicly.

I am a bit uneased by this because I believe that these businessmen think they will be able to control Candelier but, will they ? Also Candelier was chief of police for years do not remember any of the big drug dealers in Santiago going to jail. So how honest is this guy? Also is it beneficial for DR to elect a president that is pushed by these three men (one did die recently but most believe that his son will continue their political project)?

I would like to know the views of my fellow DR1er's. And for the record I believe that Candelier will be just like PLD, PRD, PRSC but with his style of governing(remember his days at foresta).

Also I would like to hear some of your thoughts, from your particular expertise, of what impact this would have on DR from an economic, social and political angle.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
thepiper said:
I have thought of starting this thread since early this year and actually started a while back but was interrupted and had to step away from my PC.

I am new to the new thread business, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

In May 2008 DR will elect a new president. The most interesting and definitely different thing about this election will be that none of the 3 usual suspects (PLD, PRD, PRSC) has a buzz candidate. In fact I believe it is safe to say that Dominicans are pretty skeptical of anyone positive coming out of these parties. But since 2000 a few of the countries richest men have been quietly promoting Candelier. Some would say that they started before that but a like 2000 because it was clear when HIPO was not permitted to relieve Candelier of his duty by one of these businessman. Now they have the same man that handled Hipolitos first presidential campaign (2000) and 6 other Latin American presidents. This man is very sought after in LA but he chose to handle Candelier for free, stating that he knows this is a sure thing.

I agree with him in that Candelier with, 72% of the population thinking is better than fried chicken, has a very good chance especially when you take into account that the men behind his candidacy control a good part of media and can get the biggest names in TV and Radio to back him publicly.

I am a bit uneased by this because I believe that these businessmen think they will be able to control Candelier but, will they ? Also Candelier was chief of police for years do not remember any of the big drug dealers in Santiago going to jail. So how honest is this guy? Also is it beneficial for DR to elect a president that is pushed by these three men (one did die recently but most believe that his son will continue their political project)?

I would like to know the views of my fellow DR1er's. And for the record I believe that Candelier will be just like PLD, PRD, PRSC but with his style of governing(remember his days at foresta).

Also I would like to hear some of your thoughts, from your particular expertise, of what impact this would have on DR from an economic, social and political angle.
Even though its never too soon to think of anything, 2008 is 2008 and we are at the end of 2005!

Can we have a break?!

-NAL;)

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Hey Nal0whs. I do not want to make it into a 2008 thing, maybe I should have thought a little more about my title. As I stated in my opening post I have been thinking about this for some time now. But I came to the conclusion that this was the right time for a couple of reasons.

First one is that I believe this is the biggest thing going on in politics right now, its bigger than the metro and artificial isle put together. This unprecedented(in modern DR Politics) move by Mr. Corripio, Grullon and Rodriguez has the potential of impacting all of our lives in a huge way.

Second reason for posting now is that, I would think we would all like to reach 2008 with the best informed opinion of this situation. I know that I am really at a lose for words on this subject because I just don't believe they will go Through with it. I think they will back down at some point. I cant imagine a person like Pepin Corripio at odds with a government. This Will eventually happen, as the time of the elections near.

So Nal0whs no, if it was up to me you can not have a BREAK !!!!!!
Get off your butt and and let me have it.

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
What do you think this guy will do different than any of the former dominican presidents? Do you think he'll be better?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
What will happen? Chaos and insanity, the usual. I'd prepare for the worst but hope for the best if I was living down there.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
Hmm..

pimentel79 said:
What do you think this guy will do different than any of the former dominican presidents? Do you think he'll be better?

This was on my original post.

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
No chaos.

Jon S. said:
What will happen? Chaos and insanity, the usual. I'd prepare for the worst but hope for the best if I was living down there.

I don't know how honest a president he'll be and I doubt that he will be honest at all, but the usual he is obviously not.