Words of wisdom for a first timer welcomed

Sunshine and Raine

Nov 21, 2005
Hello, I am hoping to visit DR for the first time this Feb or March. I would like to bring my young son and an adult friend. I live in West Virginia in the US, and expect to be in many feet of snow by then, and needing a break and beautiful weather... From what research I have done, it seems DR is affordable for us, me being a single mom, is this true? I saw the hostels on line, where do you suggest we stay? There or elsewhere? We love nature, hiking, also heard there is rock climbing which we really love. Any safety concerns or suggestions for us? He and I would really enjoy the whales- where for that? But mostly I want for us, especially him, to be able to experience diversity and another culture. Here in the mountains of WV, the color and culture is very limited!!! And, we love music- where can I bring my son with me to hear/ dance to live music? Are there any bars/ discos that would be okay to bring him with me- like on the beach or something? Is there Guiness? Expensive? Lots of questions, and I would GREATLY appreciate your input. I haven't been on a vacation, well a GOOD one, since 1999. Want to make the most of it. And I want it to be a meaningful learning experience for my boy. Thanks a lot! Sunshine and her Raine

casi84

Jul 21, 2003
North coast is for you

hey, i used to live in puerto plata and im going back to visit soon, the dr can be a dangerous place but i mean so can anywhere. Puerto plata is a decent sized city with all the other elements of nature you seem to be looking for close at hand. I wouldnt recommend a hostel or resort, id look into furnished apartments, some i know of are puerto plata apartments by a man named jeffrey ashill and another man named larry cooper has some as well. Also you can find reasonable ones while down there. Just keep looking around and asking and check out debbie's dominican travel website.
good luck

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How long will you be here. If just for a week or so, you don't want spend a lot of time traveling from place to place.

To see the whales, you have to go to Samana. February is a good month, probably even early March. But you need to be within that time frame or the excursions will have ended because so many of the whales have started the migration back to the northern waters where they feed. The best person to whale watch with is Kim Beddall. See her website at http://www.whalesamana.com/

If you just have a short time, Samana would be a good choice. The whales are there and there is plenty of space for walking. If you go to Samana, ask Kim Beddall for suggestions. She is a naturalist, has been living in that area for 2o+ years, and can give you all the information and suggestions you could hope for.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, I live in Puerto Plata and I agree with Ken.
If you want a vacation, i.e a week or two, Samana is a wonderful choice.
You can still have an active vacation if you chose any of the all inclusive hotels available in Playa Dorada, or any of the hotels in Sosua for example.
Book at trip, you´ll have a great time!

Sunshine and Raine

Nov 21, 2005
Everyone, thanks for the info. I will definately contact Kim Beddell. I am concerned about getting ripped off, getting the "gringo" prices, etc. I need for this to be a cheap vacation, honestly. Do you think an all inclusive resort would really be cheaper? I am certain that I want to venture out to more local spots to eat, hang out, etc. The idea of an apartment sounds interesting, but again I have to worry about price. We were even talking about camping out- one of my son's favorite things in life- for part of the time. Is it safe? Allowed in the National Parks? I am worried a little about being an American with a blond haired son- some government web site (American) said some US visitors to DR are targeted strictly for being American. Is that common or propaganda? I also love to rock climb- anyone out there into climbing? Thanks so much!!

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Ken is right about Samana. You want to go to Las Terranas and I think we paid $25 per night in a great little hotel on the beach. I can get you specifics if you want. You would fly into Puerta Plata. I am not sure if there is a bus to Las Terranas but someone else here will set you straight on that. If you don't want to go all the way to Las Terranas then go to Caberate. I know a great little hotel there also.

Now let me set you straight on a few things. Someone said this place can be dangerous. This place is not dangerous unless you are drunk on a dark street in the middle of the night. All you have to be worried about is getting ripped off and cheated on prices. Since you will be in a tourist area don't give money away to anyone. No matter how sad a story they tell. Put your money in a safe place on your person if you are carrying a lot and have a little in your pocket that you pull from. Be aware of your surroundings. Don't feel that you have to tip a lot. A little is fine. And in some restaurants the tip is already factored in. If you are at Las Terranas then don't feel like you just have to try the restaurants. They are overpriced and not that good. In Caberate there are some nice restaurants. But you are not going to Thailand. The DR is not known for its cuisine. It is basically a one taste cuisine. So don't feel that you have to eat in the restaurants in order to know the local culture through food. You can just as well eat at a small little streetside buffet. I'm not saying the food is not good. I'm just saying this is no Thailand, Greece, India. Eat from the roadside vendors. Buy food in supermarket and prepare in room. In both Las Terranas and Caberate you can take your son with you to the beachside bar/restuarants. Perfectly safe and tame. You may find Guiness but it will cost you. You will be fine with Presidente beer or some other local beer. Forget the rock cliimbing. And I will bet that whale watching is during specific times of year and I don't know when that is. Hiking...NO. But long walks on the beach...YES. No camping....forget that. But nights with a campfire may be possible. The culture of this place can be found in the music and dance. And there is plenty of that. Culture is also found in the mountains where the best people live. My advice is to come here and take it easy on the beach and let come what may. But soak up the beach, the water, the sun. Because from the sound of it you will not be back for some time. ***Always ask the price up front on everything and then decide if you want it or not. They will always try to charge you more if you don't ask up front. Don't carry your purse full of money or other important items unless you strap that baby to your body. Don't wear gold necklaces or bracelets that can be easily snatched. And MOST OF ALL...Don't have some sweet talking young stud make you fall in love with him. Well, yes you can do that as long as you know it is only for a week and you are going to treat it like you are sleeping with a known thief. Best of luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Over in Kanawah County, not far from Belle and Cabin Creek, we used to say: "Never buy a pig in a poke."

Yup, I'm from West by God, too, but tempered by years in the big cities and decades here in the Dominican Republic.

Look, if this is going to be a "once very 8 years" vacation, so's you and your boyfriend and son can get outta the hollars, let's do it right.

Do me a favor and send me an e-mail or a PM and tell me this:

What do you want to do most?
How old is the boy?
How much time do you have.?
Would you like to "rough it" a bit?

I'd be happy to assist you, as would each and every member of this board, believe me.

Have no worries about safety, being ripped off or not enjoying yourselves.
Go out and buy a small first aid kit for the scrapes and cuts you'll have from doing all the stuff you want to do....:D:D:D
Buy sun screen, OFF with DEET, some Pepto and maybe some aspirin powder for the hangovers...:p

Get ready...you'll have a blast.

Get back to me, hear?

HB :D:D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Snuffy, great posting. The OP should read through it a couple of times.

To the OP:

You said "I saw the hostels on line". Did you mean hotels? As far as I know the DR doesn't have any hostels. I'm sure someone (Hillbilly) will correct me if I'm wrong. Take Hillbilly up on his offer, he been living in the DR forever and know just about every family oriented nook and cranny in the DR.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Well, if you are coming to Santiago then you definitely want to stay at Hillbilly's Bed and Breakfast. Very nice and a great price. You basically get a small apartment in the best part of Santiago. Hillbilly will become a very good friend to you and an incredibly interesting host. He can arrange the hiking, rock climbing, etc.. So you may want to divide your time up between Santiago and the beach. Then you could do most everything you want to do. You can trust him 100% to guide you right.