Ever Wonder Why Dominicans Seem So "Thick"(I Think!)?????

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go read the DR1 "Daily News" for today.
Only 50% make it to the 4th. grade,
22% finish "Grade School",
and only 10% are still around at the end of "High School"!

No wonder no one ever seems to "Get It" when you try to explan some basic ideas to them!

I guess that is why they make such a big deal out of anyone with a college degree,calling them "Licenciado" and all! They must be only a few percentage points of the total population!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
CCCC quack go fix the title before someone tells you, you're thick. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Excuse me, it's thicker than maple syrup and old motor oil combined, CC

Yeah CC, fix it, you're thinker than a can of Mug Root Beer

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Criss Colon said:
Go read the DR1 "Daily News" for today.
Only 50% make it to the 4th. grade,
22% finish "Grade School",
and only 10% are still around at the end of "High School"!

No wonder no one ever seems to "Get It" when you try to explan some basic ideas to them!

I guess that is why they make such a big deal out of anyone with a college degree,calling them "Licenciado" and all! They must be only a few percentage points of the total population!

CC, do you want food for thought? consider the fact that the DR has about 45,000 lawyers...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Mirador said:
CC, do you want food for thought? consider the fact that the DR has about 45,000 lawyers...

My husband Angel's cousin Suzie has a boyfriend who is studying to be a lawyer, and I was always speculating on how wonderful that is. Suzie is in University studying Education. My husband, who doesn't like her boyfriend, used to mutter something like, "anyone in the DR" can be a lawyer, and thought it far more intelligent for Suzie to be a teacher than her boyfriend to be a lawyer. I was always thinking "whatever" and didn't want to debate the topic with him, because I'm accustomed to lawyers here making far more $$$ than teachers, plus you need a double degree in Canada to be a lawyer. I guess he can't be too far off the mark on this one!

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:

You beat me to it. Being a lawyer here is not very challenging. There is also no Bar exam or quality control. In the DR you go directly from high school to "law school" which is a three year program. The first year is spent in general studies and basics and then only two years of actual law. That's why we have so many 20-21 year old "lawyers" here.

Overall, the quality of professionals in the DR is very poor. I used to teach with a girl who finished her psychology degree and immediately had a practice on the side. She was "licenciada" with a three year "degree" and a half ass thesis.

With the exception of UNIBE and maybe PUCMM the quality of universities is questionable as well. Entry is not competitive and passing is easy.

The news from today is not shocking but always depressing. 50% make it to 4th grade? The future does not look too bright.

Scandall

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Criss Colon said:

Actually,

A person attaining a college degree (depending on the university and the major and how good he/she retains what he/she learned, of course) gets a few extra "points" towards social class and status. Thus, the high emphasis on titles towards a person who finish university.

The percentage of college educated people here, though they are many in pure numbers compared to some neighboring countries, is rather low (good professionals, if we want to talk about mediocre professionals, its much higher). I'm not too sure of the exact number, but a wild guess of 10 to 15% of total population might be around the vicinity.

Since we do compare ourselves to the US alot, and we do admire that north american country from time to time, the percentage of that country's population with a college degree is around a quarter or 25% plus or minus. The perception is much higher among people there, but the fact is that its a relatively small minority of all Americans who have college degrees, so one could only expect much less percentage here.

-NAL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Go ask randomly a few americans anywhere, streets or university campus grounds.
1. capital of canada
2. prime minister of canada
3. capital of brazil
4. show them an american map without states labeled and ask them to guess where is california and other famous states. this will give you a quick idea where american education stands as compared to some 3rd world countries.
AZB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
Since we do compare ourselves to the US alot, and we do admire that north american country from time to time, the percentage of that country's population with a college degree is around a quarter or 25% plus or minus. The perception is much higher among people there, but the fact is that its a relatively small minority of all Americans who have college degrees, so one could only expect much less percentage here.

-NAL
The Census Bureau actually pegs it at 28% for a bachelos degree in the US, but you were close and you have a point -- a completed college degree is still not as common in the US as many think.

Regards,
Keith

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/004214.html

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
AZB said:
1. capital of canada
3. capital of brazil
4. show them an american map without states labeled and ask them to guess where is california and other famous states. this will give you a quick idea where american education stands as compared to some 3rd world countries.
AZB
Yeah, my wife tells a nice story about visiting a cousin at Cornell not long after she emigrated to the States in the early 1970s. She and her cousin were sitting up late one evening chatting with other girls in the dorm, when it was decided to play a trivia game. When the subject turned to US geography, my (future) wife beat the Midwestern girls in identifying capitals of US states and major rivers. Go figure!

I must say, however, I cannot count the number of times a supposedly educated Dominican has asked me what part of "New York" Washington DC is in... :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keith R said:
The Census Bureau actually pegs it at 28% for a bachelos degree in the US, but you were close and you have a point -- a completed college degree is still not as common in the US as many think.

Regards,
Keith

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/004214.html
Thanks!

The census link also shows that the 28% is a record high! That only means one thing, historically the US has had a much lower percentage of college graduates in its labor force. Interesting.

-NAL

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Keith R said:
I must say, however, I cannot count the number of times a supposedly educated Dominican has asked me what part of "New York" Washington DC is in... :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:
Well,

To be fair, you should know that New York does not always means the state, but the entire country to many Dominicans.

Much in the same way that the name Santo Domingo is not always exclusive to the city, but to the entire country.

How often have people said to you "En Santo Domingo xyz" and the information has absolutely nothing to do with the capital?!

Point in case.

-NAL

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
AZB said:
1. capital of canada
3. capital of brazil
AZB

Nice try AZB. With 300,000,000 people the USA will always have more of everything, including idiots. But to say that the education does not compare to the third world is nothing more than fulfilling your own little "I hate America and all Americans are dumb" campaign. :) :) But for me it is all part of your unbeatable Pakistani charm.

I have actually taught in the US and the DR. Both have very bright kids and some not-so-bright. But on the whole the US society is much more educated. ex. ability to read and write etc.

I have taught in 4 different public high schools in the Boston area and 2 different private schools in the DR. I think I know what I am talking about. But then again maybe I am just another "dumb yankee".

Scandall
"edumacated"

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I guess that explains it then

Nal0whs said:
Well,

To be fair, you should know that New York does not always means the state, but the entire country to many Dominicans.

Much in the same way that the name Santo Domingo is not always exclusive to the city, but to the entire country.

How often have people said to you "En Santo Domingo xyz" and the information has absolutely nothing to do with the capital?!

Point in case.

-NAL

New York is the United States to most Dominicans, that explains why the teacher at Carol Morgan was telling my daughter that Florida was part of the STATE of MIAMI.:classic:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I'll take a stab at it

AZB said:
1. capital of canada
3. capital of brazil
AZB
1. Who Cares!!
2. Who Really Cares!!
3. Rio de Janeiro
hahahaha

p.s. if the Capital of Brazil is not Rio, then it should be:laugh: :laugh:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ricardo900 said:
1. Who Cares!!
2. Who Really Cares!!
3. Rio de Janeiro
hahahaha

p.s. if the Capital of Brazil is not Rio, then it should be:laugh: :laugh:
Whoever says the capital of Brazil is Rio de Janeiro, has an outdated understanding of Brazil by a good 40 or so years!

At least they can use that excuse to cover their awful geographical knowledge!

Here is another one...

Can anyone tell me where the island of Diego Garcia is located? Hint, it's not in Latin America.Diego Garcia is a US Bomber base in the middle of the Indian Ocean

Oh boy, this will take a while.... he he he

And if 15% of Dominicans are "Professionals",you are counting all the prostitutes TOO! CC

-NAL

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Nal0whs said:
Well,

Point in case.

-NAL
Well, then, they do not know/understand what the United States really is, or they would understand how it could offend a non-New Yorker to ask them what part of New York is Chicago, Seattle, Houston or Washington in. [Yes, I have actually heard Dominicans ask all of these!] That reflects, as my Dominican family and friends, falta de educacion! If they actually know better, Dominicans should not say it that way.

-K

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
bienamor said:
New York is the United States to most Dominicans, that explains why the teacher at Carol Morgan was telling my daughter that Florida was part of the STATE of MIAMI.:classic:
Well....

there are some people who don't know what they are saying.

And this was at the famous Carol Morgan school?

Bueno....:nervous:

-NAL