Guitar Purchase and Lessons in Puerto Plata

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am asking for a friend who has a 15 year old daughter who wants to learn how to play a guitar. Any information that anyone can give me on the price and availability of guitars, and the availability of instruction will be appreciated.

Price is a consideration.

Information on the purchase of guitars in Santiago would also be helpful.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
For god's sake buy your guitar in the US and bring it on the plane. Every guitar for sale in the DR is overpriced, and just about worthless at any price.

I have been playing guitar for 30 of my 34 years and am sort of a collector.

Well OK I have seen some OK entry-level Yamaha's for sale around but the prices are outrageous.

Why don't you order from musiciansfriend.com and have it sent through business mail?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
MrMike said:
For god's sake buy your guitar in the US and bring it on the plane. Every guitar for sale in the DR is overpriced, and just about worthless at any price.

Well OK I have seen some OK entry-level Yamaha's for sale around but the prices are outrageous.

Why don't you order from musiciansfriend.com and have it sent through business mail?

I agree. I visited several music stores in La Capital (SDQ) and not just tha the prices are outragous, there is little variety and much is junk. Fly into MIA... check out Sam Ash or Guitar Center and the flight will most likely pay for itself.
I am even bringing my congas! Imagine, bringing congas from Europe to El Caribe!! :nervous: ... and then, there's my electric bass, my steel guitar, and my amps.

Best way to learn to play guitar, is to go out and play with a band.

... J-D.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
MrMike said:

Yep I wandered into Sam Ash in Miami on a recent trip and it's only the power of God and credit card limits that ever got me outa there.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MrMike said:
Yep I wandered into Sam Ash in Miami on a recent trip and it's only the power of God and credit card limits that ever got me outa there.

I went in there for a set of strings once. Never never again! It near killed me to walk out!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Tamborista said:
The world's best handmade Tamboras are home grown in El Cibao.

That's great news... but all the ones I saw for sale in stores in SDQ did not appear much different than my cheap ones I go in Europe and I doubt they were the ones you mention.
BTW, do you play? Do you people who give lessons? I'd be interested once I settle there.
Thanks for the info... J-D.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
JD:

Try the music stores on 27 de Febrero for Professional new/used Tamboras.

I have been a percussionist for over 25 years, mainly bateria.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
MrMike said:

i agree with this gentleman, buy your instruments in the states, also you can ask for a receipt from the seller in the states to be written with a more favourable price.To decrease any taxes you may have to pay bringing it into the DR. ive seen over priced rubbish sold in a house goods/ furniture store in pop. Still if all you need is a $100 acoustic guitar and shes a beginner it may be worth your while to buy it here. It probably becomes more financially advantageous for you to buy in the states when she starts to want shure microphones and $800 amplifiers ect.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I don't want to break anybody's budget here, but if you have any hope that your 15-year old will ever be a decent guitarist you need to spend at least 300 bucks in the states for a guitar.

Buying her a 100 dollar guitar is most likely just going to turn her off to the whole excercise, 100 dollar guitars don't stay in tune, some never get in tune and are generally very hard to play and sound crappy even when they are in tune.

Spend 300 and if the girl decides not to play guitar after all at least you can get your money back out of the guitar, it's worth alot more money here in the DR and should sell rather quickly for 300, you may even turn a profit if you connect with the right buyer.

billyidol

Banned
Feb 9, 2004
MrMike said:
I don't want to break anybody's budget here, but if you have any hope that your 15-year old will ever be a decent guitarist you need to spend at least 300 bucks in the states for a guitar.

Buying her a 100 dollar guitar is most likely just going to turn her off to the whole excercise, 100 dollar guitars don't stay in tune, some never get in tune and are generally very hard to play and sound crappy even when they are in tune.

Spend 300 and if the girl decides not to play guitar after all at least you can get your money back out of the guitar, it's worth alot more money here in the DR and should sell rather quickly for 300, you may even turn a profit if you connect with the right buyer.

true, i remember beginning to play guitar....all i can say is that it was one frustrating experience after another. looking back i wished i had bought a better guitar at that time