Hydro outages????

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
:ermm:

Can someone tell me about the power outages in Sosua/cabarete area? When I have been checking some accomodations out, they mention for instance: a/c, but when the municipal hydro is out, you only have ceiling fans. I guess I have omitted asking about the hydro situation. How often would this happen in a week on the average. Is it for a long time when it does.
Just curious, as I was not aware of it.

Thanks again

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If there is anything that you could call a sure thing it's the DR minus electricity 24 hours a day (or even 12 for that matter) . Pick a place with a planta or generator.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
We are currently in Santo Domingo and were in Santiago earlier and had no problems with power outages. It went out once for about 2 minutes at the hotel in Santiago. However...that may be the generator kicking in.

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Another quick question......what makes the power supply so fragile and could we be lucky enough to say the power is out when people are sleeping??
I had no idea you could lose power for that long. Like is it periodic, like an hour here and an hour there. The Blue Bayou is a resort that mentioned they did not have back up so air conditioner would not work when power was out. I wonder if they meant that there was power, but just not enough to power an air conditioner??? Sorry, but I am really green on this one!!!

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Blue Bayou is a condo complex with a small generator to run the water pump only. Without street power or a battery backup inverter in the individual condo, there is no power available so i'm told. Many condo complex's have back up generators so all you notice is a momentary lack of power.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not that the system is so fragile.
It's a question of economics.
Bad economics, I might add, but that's what it's about.
As far as Blue bayou is concerned, one might not refer to it as a resort, in as much as it's is a condo project in town, and a very nice one at that, but they don't have a big generator to back up the condos.
All they have is a small generator that can back the public ground's lights, so the individual owners all have inverters, and generally they are not powerful enough to supply AC's, not to mention the baterry drain an AC would cause.
Most actual resorts, condos and hotels have 24 hour power back up, AC's included.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
I have seen hotels with the A/C on one circuit and the lights and TV on another another so when the generator ran you had light but no air as the cost was too high, or the generator didn't have the capacity probably the latter.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ricktoronto said:
I have seen hotels with the A/C on one circuit and the lights and TV on another another so when the generator ran you had light but no air as the cost was too high, or the generator didn't have the capacity probably the latter.
I'm sure they exist, but it's a bit chintzy.
Either you have AC 24 hours, or don't bother advertizing it. How's a guest supposed to plan around power failures?

Gumby

Aug 3, 2005
power outages

The power supply will be different from one hotel/resort to another. It will depend if they have a generator, inversor and how good they work. It would be best for you to contact the places you are interested in stayng at to ask how their power is as this is the only way for you to find out for sure. I noticed in one of your other posts that you may be staying at the Windsurf. They have pretty much 24/7 power supply as they run on generators....if they go down it is only for a few minutes and will not disrupt your holiday whatsoever.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
Puerto Plata outages

what about outages in Puerto Plata? I just spoke to a friend and the power is out--does it happen often there and for how long at a time? I had no idea.