Merengue/Bachata teacher in DC?

LDJ111

Oct 19, 2005
I am leaving for the Dominican Republic in three weeks. But I would like to learn merengue and bachata before I leave. I should not say learn, I know the basic movement but I do not know turns and combinations. I looked in the yellow pages, and internet with no success. Most of the dance schools want you to sign up for a six week or more course that includes salsa. I just want to learn merengue and bachata for now.

ElPulpo

Nov 1, 2003
I also live around this area and my advice is go to a club called Bravo Bravo its always full of people that I know wouldnt mine to teach you because theres alot of cool down to earth people there, especially if you buy someone a drink and start a conversation.

Sep 19, 2005
most clubs you would probably go to will be so crowded , it wont matter how well you dance merenge. As a matter of fact i doubt half the couples dance anything like each other. Some couple are flying all over the place, others look like the are having sex standing up. Some dont move more than 3 inches from the place they start. You got huge hips and skinny hips, how can it look that bad?. and if you feel insecure get in the middle and no one will see you. The really fast merenge can be tougher to handle , and keep your pace. I have only been dancing it for 3 months. Both are easy to learn. Now I am learning salsa.....my girl likes that the most.......bob