soldering kits?

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Hi, I will soon need a soldering kit.

Anyone know if they're readily available for somewhat comparable prices somewhere between Sosua and Santiago?

I must decide whether or not to bring one with me from the US. I know little about soldering, but would like to make some decently strong welds on light metal. The finished 'thing' needs to hold up in transit, carefully packed of course.

Anyone know what temp gun I will need? Any other suggestions much appreciated as well.

Thanks!
dawnwil

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
Paul and I bought a soldering kit a while back at a local shop for a little over 10 bucks when we were "fixing" our x-boxes. Iron, soldering braid, solder... all very cheap. Not a high quality iron, though... but it does the job just fine.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
tks!

kewl. Maybe I can lighten my luggage a little and not bother with it.

I just got a pm and someone else I met in Sosua was in the soldering business... now I'm waiting to hear about the technical details, lol.

Will post it here for the info.

2parrotheads

Mar 18, 2005
Dawn...

...I tried to PM you, but got an error message.:cry: PM me when you can accept further messages.

Thanks,

David (from Alberto's)

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
dawnwil said:
Hi, I will soon need a soldering kit...........
Anyone know if they're readily available for somewhat comparable prices somewhere between Sosua and Santiago?
dawnwil

Since I found out that you do bronzes I have been curious about several things.

I saw your pieces Scott had at the Thanksgiving bash. I have a friend here in Western Canada who is a very successful bronze artist and I have learnt a lot from him over the years about the whole process.

Seeing your post here concerning a soldering gun I wondered if it was in regards to supporting the clay form when you are sculpturing pieces.

He has had all his bronzes done in a Montana foundary also. I wonder if you use the same foundary. (John's place in Kalispel)

Are you familiar with the best wire to use to support the clay?

I don't mind sharing some of the tricks with you if you ever wanted to PM me.

No disrespect meant towards your abilities.

Kiwi Bruce

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am wondering two things:

Are you talking soldering--like tin or electrical soldering, where you heat the surface and put a little bit of flu on it and melt the hot solder? Or

Are you talking welding or brazing: Brazing is like soldering except that you use a torch and acetelene/oxygen and melt a bronze rod, using flux to ease the joining..

Welding is actually melting two metals and running a seam of molten metal to join the three...

I realize that these are not perfect explanations, so bear with me.

If you are talking about soldering, that is dirt cheap here. Solder is a little more expensive than in the states and you should be aware that thee are different types of solder for different uses.

Brazing and welding equipment here is expensive as he!!, but the tanks are cheap enough. In that case you need to get the correct nozzles for the work you want to do, plus the regulators and hoses. MUCH cheaper in the states where the fact that you will be making money with the equipment does not have an effect on the price--We have yet to reward the do-it-yourself market in the DR and this "professional " equipment is costly...

If I can help you let me know. It seems you have a growing fan club...

HB:D:D:D