Shipping from Canada to DR

GordonS

Nov 6, 2005
We recently shipped some personal effects to our daughter who is living in DR. After many phone calls searching for someone doing this to DR, we were able to contact Alexander Santos in Toronto. Alexander is a consolidator (collects individual shipments together until there is enough for a container) We shipped one barrel with his company - La Hispanola shipping in September. The cost was fairly reasonable and his group took care of the shipment entirely - picking up the barrel at our home, paperwork both here in Canada as well as in Puerto Plata and then final delivery to the door in Puerto Plata.

Today we had to send some more of my daughter's teacher's text books and teaching aids (she teaches Grade 1 ) and Alexander sent that part of it at no charge. As we only had a small shipment and not enough for a complete barrel, he agreed to ship it along with some other smaller shipments he charged a very minor amount for the other two boxes. Just thought I'd share a good experience. If anyone would like to contact him about shipments, please send me a private message and I'll give his phone number in Toronto.

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
Shipping from Toronto

I'm glad your shipment went well with Alexander Santos. We made arrangements with him and he dropped off an empty box at our house. The box is 24'' by 24'' by 24" and the final weight is not a factor in the price of $200 + GST per box. Toronto to Santiago door to door. He never made contact with us again. He was a little unclear on the actual shipping process and the time frame and was working out of his car. So when he didn't bother to call or pick up the carton I looked for another person. I called Peralta Bros Shipping in Scarborough. He came by our house and dropped off two empty boxes of the same dimensions of much higher strength than the previous one. He has lived in Canada for almost twenty years and is well connected in Puerto Plata. He answered all our questions directly without hesitation. He picked up the boxes in a large truck that had their company name on the side. The cost was $150 each tax included.
They are in transit and I will post when (if) they arrive at their destination about Dec 15.

if)

GordonS

Nov 6, 2005
Fairly reasonable?

ricktoronto said:
How much is fairly reasonable? One man's reasonable is another mans fortune.

What is reasonable?

Good point. The barrel was a very large heavy duty poly barrel which we purchased for $20.00. It was about 36" tall and 24" diameter if my memory serves me correctly. Shipping was $230.00 and the weight was not a factor. He said that small barrels are $180.00. The small barrel is about 35" tall and 20" diameter.

We shipped some electronics in the barrel which Alexander very carefully reviewed with us. He required a complete detailed listing of the contents as he said that by experience DR customs was very hard on people who did not declare all items.

The shipment took about 2 1/2 weeks until delivered to the door. Alexander gave detailed instructions on what to could be packed and how and when the pickup and delivery would be made.

I'm sure that others will have other experiences such as debajoelsol but our experience was good.

debajoelsol

Jan 23, 2003
Our shipment was delivered to the house on Dec 17. They called ahead to make sure someone would be home. The boxes had been opened in the aduana but only the surface items were disturbed and nothing was missing.