First trip...two 17 year olds from Maine...Amazing.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
I am a 17 year old guy from Maine who began sponsering a child through Children International this past summer. Children International gives the sponserer an open invitation to come visit the child and as soon as I signed up, I wanted to go visit my child. His name is Ronny, he's an 8 year old boy and he lives on the outskirts of Santiago. This summer, as my friend Mary and I were driving over the Casco Bay Bridge, we decided we were going to make the trip to the DR.

A few months later and we were off. Our first solo trip international. We were there November 19-25 and we stayed in Santiago and Santo Domingo. In Santiago, we stayed at the Aloha Sol on Calle de Sol and in Santo Domingo at the Hotel Palacio. We enjoyed both hotels, especially the Palacio. We got around by taxi and Caribe Tours. One day in Santo Domingo we took a taxi to Boca Chica for the day and enjoyed the beach and sun...(as well as the constant nagging to buy fake cuban cigars and hair braids for Mary)...But hey! It's all part of the awesome experiance. We ate at local resturants, experianced many adventures (like having a tire blow out on our taxi on the way back from Boca Chica on the highway), and saw my sponsered child. That was probably the most amazing aspect of the trip. I am already planning my next trip down hopefully in early June. I want to see more of the Dominican Republic...Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, Sosua, La Romana, Samana and more. I will post the link to all of our pictures as soon as I finish cropping, editing, exc.

Thanks to everyone on this board who helped make this trip a little easier with advice and ideas. (Hillbilly, all your posts on Santiago were VERY helpful)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself. I have seen the commercials for sponsering children for many years. I have always thought of them as a waiste of money due to the fact that the child only gets a very small portion of the money that is donated. What is your opinion on how the money is spent? You are also the first person that I have ever heard of visiting the sponsered child. Do you reccommend this to others? Another question, how much do you spend a month on this?

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
331342924_l.jpg

Me and my sponsered child Ronny

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Children International (www.children.org) is a great organization. From what I saw, my 18 dollars a month goes to a great cause. For my 18 dollars a month, Ronny gets access to doctors, dentists, school supplies, food and much more he normally wouldnt have access too. If he needs work on his teeth or needs to see a doctor, because of my sponsership, he can see a good doctor with no problems. On his birthday he gets a birthday celebration at the office near his house. And most importantly, they make sure he always has access to good food. Children International makes sure your money goes to your child. I really recommend it.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hello nlove88, :)

I admire and respect you a lot.

You sound like a very kind, generous and mature 17-year-old. I am very proud and happy for you!!! :classic:

While many 17-year-olds wait in line for hours to buy a stupid X BOX 360, you decided to help a child. Cheers to you!!! ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear "nlove88": I am quite impressed with your "beyond 17 maturity, believe me.

I am glad I was of some assistance, but why didn't you let me know about this trip?? There is a nice guy on this board: St. Louis MIke-- that has sponsored 4 kids here throught Children International, and he has been hee a couple of times. It is always good to see adventuresome folks..

Congratulations on a successful trip and you are welcome here upon your return.

HB :D:D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I also applaud you for the unselfish giving to others. You are very mature for your age and will achieve tremendously in your endeavors.

Salute

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Congratulations on for your efforts. I love hearing about young people doing things for others.

Keep up the good work.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I am also very proud that a 17-year-old, who probably has little to give, has decided to give it to a child of the Dominican Republic. Congratulations and hats off to you. Your parents have obviously done good. Keep up the great work! I'm betting Mainegirl is grinning from ear-to-ear with pride...

Last edited:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
trina is right....

Mainers are a special breed.... :)

Way to go, Noah!

ETA We figured out last night that although we have never met we were on the same flight home from STI.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Kudos on you sponsoring Ronny!

Judging by your pictures, it looks like you've seen a lot more than most get to see on their first trip to the DR. (I'm guessing you parents didn't appreciate photo #3, 9, and 19).

I guess my comment in another thread about the legal age for drinking being 18, but you shouldn't have a problem being served beer unless you looked 15 was not correct; otherwise they wouldn't have served you.:)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
rellosk said:
Judging by your pictures, it looks like you've seen a lot more than most get to see on their first trip to the DR. (I'm guessing you parents didn't appreciate photo #3, 9, and 19).

He probably told them that was this pop (soda) that's very popular down there. It's called Presidente and it comes in a green bottle...

It's a great thing this kid is doing at his age...

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Haha surprisingly, they just told me to be careful when I told them we were heading out for a Presidente. They laughed at the pictures when we got home. Both my parents have a more European standard of drinking...everything responsibly and in moderation.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Very impressive, especially at your age. Must have been very rewarding to spend time with your "child".