Better listen to Hertell

Porfirio

Aug 30, 2005
The US Ambasador, Hans Hertell speaks facts & truth. Fortunately for us living in The DR, Ambasador Hertell has prevailed as protector for the DR and us Citizens. Hertell is in a position to point his finger at the degree of illegalities perpetrated by those in power. The Director of the US FBI, Mueller,was here several weeks ago, and together with AMB Hertell a strong message was delivered to our delinquent leaders. Better behave, or else. The Drug Lord, Paulino would never have been caught if the DR Police stopped his truck loaded with tons of Cocaine. The US DEA made sure of an effective arrest and supervised the aprehension of Paulino, and a National Police Colonel. Amb. Hertell indicates dissatisfaction with the proposed subway, and fantasy island as obvious sources of currupted money that will fill the bottomless pockets of the greedy powerful individuals who are in favor of these fiascos. The Ambassador directs that those responsible for the Banking disaster be put in jail. The IMF is questioning wasteful expenditures that will not only waste money that could be used to elevate the quality of our schools, and hospitals, but will add to the smothering debt our Country is in, and will bury future generations of our children in economic despair. Now the the former President of Banco del Progresso departs the DR, as did Pepe Goico, Sam Goodson, Arturo Pellerano and other suspects who were able to suck the blood out of our economy and bankrupt many investors, while authorities looked the other way. Baez Fugueroa & his associates who caused the most catastrophic banking disaster to the DR still walk freely around town. Almost secretly a large building located on Mejia Ricart occupied by a Company called, Data Centro closes overnight. Investors lost millions, and no news of the former owners. Another mystery veiled in secrecy.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
all true, and consider this...

Porfirio said:
The US Ambasador, Hans Hertell speaks facts & truth. Fortunately for us living in The DR, Ambasador Hertell has prevailed as protector for the DR and us Citizens. Hertell is in a position to point his finger at the degree of illegalities perpetrated by those in power. The Director of the US FBI, Mueller,was here several weeks ago, and together with AMB Hertell a strong message was delivered to our delinquent leaders. Better behave, or else. The Drug Lord, Paulino would never have been caught if the DR Police stopped his truck loaded with tons of Cocaine. The US DEA made sure of an effective arrest and supervised the aprehension of Paulino, and a National Police Colonel. Amb. Hertell indicates dissatisfaction with the proposed subway, and fantasy island as obvious sources of currupted money that will fill the bottomless pockets of the greedy powerful individuals who are in favor of these fiascos. The Ambassador directs that those responsible for the Banking disaster be put in jail. The IMF is questioning wasteful expenditures that will not only waste money that could be used to elevate the quality of our schools, and hospitals, but will add to the smothering debt our Country is in, and will bury future generations of our children in economic despair. Now the the former President of Banco del Progresso departs the DR, as did Pepe Goico, Sam Goodson, Arturo Pellerano and other suspects who were able to suck the blood out of our economy and bankrupt many investors, while authorities looked the other way. Baez Fugueroa & his associates who caused the most catastrophic banking disaster to the DR still walk freely around town. Almost secretly a large building located on Mejia Ricart occupied by a Company called, Data Centro closes overnight. Investors lost millions, and no news of the former owners. Another mystery veiled in secrecy.

In recent weeks, the Dominican press has been pandering to the stubborn mentality of living in denial and hiding from responsibility. Specifically, El Nacional published an editorial in response to the now infamours New York Times expose of abuses against Haitians. Unable to make any plausible denials of the facts in the piece, El Nacional attempted to discredit the writer by citing a wholly unrelated set of questions about her journalistic integrity that came up years ago in Mexico. In the same editorial, El Nacional made inferences that the writer had not in fact reported the story from the Dominican Republic, citing the absence of any record of her entry or exit from the DR in immigration computers. This weekend a Digital 15 reporter on Nuria Piera's program cited sources that said the writer entered and left Dominican territory via Haiti.

With respect to Hertell, no government official or journalist has had the pantalones to deny any of the fully truthful facts he laid out. The local tendency to let false pride and childlike embarrassment cloud better judgment showed itself in an editorial in today's Listin that to my astonishment blamed the literal tons of drugs that flow through the DR on American drug users! There wasn't any explanation for the various people nabbed trying to board flights to Europe carrying large quantities of drugs, but that's another matter.

Net net, Hertell runs the country (if you doubt that, have a look at what happened after he expressed reservations about certain fiscal reform initiatives recently) and it greatly displeases the craven and cynical martinets on the government payroll. It further displeases the local press, who showed their true colors when they went after Alex Rodgriguez for - - guess what - - telling the truth by saying to a couple of Listin sportswriters at Yankee Stadium "Yo naci aqui." I was astonished when he was excoriated in the press and in the street for reminding us one of our "national treasures" is an American. In fact, he is only a little more of an American (because he was born there) than the previous two Dominican presidents, both of whom are U.S. citizens. The truth only hurts those who fear it.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
What all the denyers fail to mention is that-----

Ambassadors to a country are kept abrest of important developments/actions by the undercover endeavors of persons bassed in the country and of international developments regarding the country to which they are assigned. They are privy to information that never sees the light of day due to the security clearances attached to that information.
Should the Dominican authorities ever see their individual portfolios, they would be amazed at the "top secret" information they contain.
Each nation follows the same accord with regard to the public administrators and "big business" owners and managers.
I would imagine that the portfolio on Hipolito weighs very near a ton, if not more. All with times and dates of his actions. The same applies to incumbents of "other" politicians, etc., etc.
The Ambassador is perfectly within his rightful role to critisize and point out the error of their(public officials/ministers, etc.) ways with regard to their actions/activities, or lack thereof.
The local press can whine and twist facts all they want, but eventually it will all come to light and justice demanded, else the "silver spoon" of continuously feeding the coffers will cease and then where will the fault lie???
I imagine the "finger" will be pointed, erroneously, at the US since ther is where the funds originate.
There are times when I'd like to see ALL country' cut off these funds from the DR, but on re-consideration, the only people it would hurt would be the poor and naive.

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Where was Hertell while Hipolito's cronies were looting everything that wasn't bolted down (and a few things that were)? Oh, yea, I almost forgot. Hipolito had a "get out of jail free card" from the US Embassy. He sent troops to Iraq as part of the "coalition of the willing".

Hertell was a politically wired contractor back in Puerto Rico who contributed enough money to Bush to get appointed. The two "operators" - Hertell and Hippo - are good friends. You might remember that it was the Canadian ambassador and some European ambassadors that initiated action to stop Hippo from stealing the last election. Hertell had to go along or be left behind.

Now Hertell demands that Leonel, at Leonel's own political risk, rapidly clean up the whole mess that Hertell may just as well be considered a part of. Sorry, I don't see this guy as a moral voice of correctness. Rather, he's just another IMF hatchetman.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
IMF Henchman or no---

Ambassador Hertell has evidently been "given the word" to pursue the cases for Transparancy and Anti-Corruption within the DR Government.

At least, that is my take on the matter. Whether or not you might agree with me is beside the point. My statement above is nothing but a summation of the position an ambassador has within country and the facillities he has at his fingertips.

As to his activities, or lack of them before the last election, I would assume that his instructions were to "lay low" and pass the ball to other interested nations. Such is not without precedent in the annals of Diplomacy. Had the US shown TOO much interest, it could have very well alienated supporters of Leonel at the polls, considering the many Dominicans, such as yourself, who constantly point out that nations involvement in International affairs negatively.
Additionally, I think the State Department was unduly focused on Iraq at the time of the Election and didn't really pay much attention to what was happening in the time before the election.
Just my observations, neither for, nor against the actions of the US.

Texas Bill

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Where was Hertell while Hipolito's cronies were looting everything that wasn't bolted down (and a few things that were)? Oh, yea, I almost forgot. Hipolito had a "get out of jail free card" from the US Embassy. He sent troops to Iraq as part of the "coalition of the willing".

Another good point, Porfio. How quickly people forget that Hertell was part of the problem during Hippo's tenure. You also correctly point out that his motivation now is to protect the US$7Billion that the DR (politicians/corrupt businesses) owes the first world.

In a sordid sort of way....I am enjoying watching the international henchmen sweat....and also still enjoying what Argentina did to them.....why can't we get politicians like that?