Holidays

T

Theresa

I am looking for information on holidays in the Dominican Republic. My students need to identify a holiday, when it is celebrated, and at least five customs associated with that holiday. Then they have to make a picture that depicts that holiday. If you can help me with information I would be very grateful. Thank you, Theresa

D

DR One

HOLIDAYS

Stores, banks and most businesses close on: January 1, "New Year's Day;" January 6, "Epiphany" (not a holiday but observed by many companies), January 21, "Our Lady of Altagracia Day;" February 27, "Independence Day;" September 24, "Our Lady of Mercedes Day;" and December 25, "Christmas Day."

In the Dominican Republic, the following holidays will be celebrated on the closest Monday to the actual date: January 6, "Epiphany" January 26;"Juan Pablo Duarte's Birthday;" May 1, "Labor Day;" August 16, "Dominican Restoration Day;" November 6, "Constitution Day." "Good Friday" and "Corpus Christi Day" do not have fixed dates.

S

Santiago

I would suggest that they pick the February 27 Independence Day holiday since it is both historical and festive. February 27 marks the day in 1844 in which the Dominican Republic declared its independence from the invading Haitian forces. The independence movement was founded as a secret society known as "La Trinitaria" and headed by Juan Pablo Duarte, who is considered the founding father of the Dominican nation. While the date is commemorated for its historical importance, it also marks the celebration of Dominican Carnival. Dominicans throughout the country dress up in different costumes associated with their region of the country and have a variety of carnival celebrations, the most important of which are the parades in Santo Domingo, La Vega and Santiago. This should all provide your students with some interesting topics to explore for their project.