Moving for internship in January

tourismstudent

Nov 28, 2005
Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie here! Thank goodness there are websites like this. I am moving to Puerta Plata in January for two months to do an internship. Can you guys give me some advice on living there? I am looking into a bed and breakfast called Gite De Anges. Does anyone know it at all? I am also wondering about safety issues, being a single women living there alone. Also, do water and electricity go out a lot there? Thanks!

Stef ;)

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hi, do you know where this place is located? I have lived here for years and years and never heard of it.. Learned something new!

Water goes off only when electricity goes off, if it is connected to the electricity.
Electricity is not too bad lately, but that changes all the time, one week fine, next week crap...
Last weeks we have had electricity more or less all the time.

There are many threads on this site you can read, do a search on moving to DR, moving to puerto plata etc.
As an intern you will be well taken care of, I am sure.

tourismstudent

Nov 28, 2005
kind of freaking out...

Do you mean where is the bed and breakfast? I think its in Costambar...and the resort is in Cofresi Beach. I am a volunteer intern, so I still need to find my own apartment and pretty much live on my own. I am actually feeling VERY freaked out right now! I have been reading all of these negative things about living in the D.R...even though I'm just going for two months, I don't know whether I can do it on my own. I have never ever been there before, so I don't know what to expect. I have been reading a ton of these posts and I just don't know what to think!!

Someone PLEASE tell me...is it a mistake for me to be living as a 21 year old woman in Puerta Plata by myself...your responses can really ease my decision (though I already told the resort that I am coming for two months..)

Stef

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Relax Stef.:classic:
Most of the distressing posts here concern women who somehow need to find a way to make money and worst of all is they have a sankie boyfriend.:eek:
Just use the same practical common sense that should be used everywhere and you will be fine.
Mix with the right crowd and they will make sure you are fine.:classic:
Please don't tell us your boyfriend works at the resort.;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
tourismstudent said:
Someone PLEASE tell me...is it a mistake for me to be living as a 21 year old woman in Puerta Plata by myself...your responses can really ease my decision (though I already told the resort that I am coming for two months..)
No, you are not making a mistake*. You've picked the right area of the island to go for a two months stay. Due to the large expatriate community, there are more English speaking people on the North Coast than any other part of the island.

The expatriates in the area are especially helpful, I'm sure some of them will chime in offering you helpful advice.

* I should add some caveats
  • As long as you don't get involved with a sankie (I can't believe I've used the 's' word in one of my posts), You don't need to be overly concerned for you safety.
  • Whether or not you've made a mistake may depend on your level of expectations. The basic necessities don't flow as easily as they do in the US/Canada/UK. However, if you allocate enough money for an apartment with a backup generator and air-conditioning you should be fine, otherwise, be prepared to rough it.

tourismstudent

Nov 28, 2005
thanks

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your advice....hehe no my boyfriend lives here in Canada, and I wish he could come with me! it might drive some of those "sankies" away..though apparently they don't give up too easy. As for my expectations, I have done TONS of research on these forums and I know not to expect much...I really hope to have electricity and adequate water though..I am fine with no air conditioning...I am quite happy being hot rather than cold! I don't want to be 'roughing it' too much, but I expect not to have everything as easy as it is in Canada..that might be kind of refreshing in a way! Please post any other advice you think I may need...
Thanks!

Stef

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Relax einh! You will love Costambar, it is close to the beach and many foreigners around. If you're a Canadian tea drinker, bring a box, hard to find and also expensive here! Ohh..ohhh and of course Kraft peanut butter! :nervous:

tourismstudent

Nov 28, 2005
hahah thanks for the suggestions everyone! You made me feel a little more at ease now.

Keep em coming! hehe

Stef

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
If you don't mind me asking i was wondering how did you found out about that job?? As i am interested in the same sort of thing?