PUJ Airport Bandido's the scam starts again

They seem to be back at it again it PUJ, the Skyservice check in people at the airport bilking many for overweight luggage. People complained to no avail, I saw as many as 5 in our line hit by their scam.

My daughter was nicked for $45 US, she was 2kg overweight leaving Toronto and was not charged, they had 3 seats on the plane so 60 KG allowance. She had a 3 year old and eight month old, loads of diapers, 3 cans of baby formula, a case of baby food (30 jars) two boxes of cereal and yogurts. Along with a supply of crayons, coloring books etc which she gave to her maid.

All of this food was used up and she purchased 2 small gifts that might have weighed 1 pound tops for both, she had left over about a dozen diapers (lightweight) and a couple of bottles of formula for the flight home.

They insisted that she was 8KG overweight and did not want to give a receipt for the overweight payment, she insisted and finally got one. This is an absolute scam as I saw what she took and watched as the employees toes was on the backside of the scale behind the luggage. My protest fell on deaf ears.
I then spent the next 2 hours speaking to people in the terminal and found more than a dozen in the similar situation.

Emails will be flying into Skyservice very soon about this scam. They were through it before now again it begins.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Take note

That "Wud" stated the employee had her toe on the backside of the scale. Nothing wrong with the scale!

Skyservice replied and will investigate, 6 to 8 weeks is what they asked to wait, I will be back there in 8 weeks but will fly another airline.
Anna you are correct 20 kg per person, may daughter had 3 paying passengers 60 kg. She was 2 kg over in Toronto and they let it go. While in Punta Cana she used all the baby food, diapers etc as esplained, this was quite a bit of weight and replaced it with small souvenirs (1/2 kg tops) and was told she was 8 kg over

8 x $7 is 56 Canadian so they asked her for $45 US, close to exchange rate

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Don't expect great service from Air Transat either however. They are all cut from the same bolt.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Actually.....I've always found SkyService much better

than Air Transat anytime I've travelled.
Given a choice I'll always book SkyService over AT if fares are the same....

Hmmm....maybe that;s why I like commercial so much nowadays!;)

BTW....just booked AA YYZ to SDQ for Dec. 8th..$551. plus taxes return in April!

Its_where_I_Belong

Nov 5, 2005
Re: Hlywud

People at PUJ airport are not employees of Skyservice, neither employees, of Air Transat etcc.. They are aprivate firm contracted by those airlines to check you in at local destination airports: "Handling Company"

The airlines are liable, but the problem is with that local staff putting money in their pocket. the biggest Handling Company in DR in a Division of Aerodom, with whom you should also try to file your claim.

Cheers

AR

They responded

Well LMAO my six to eight weeks are not up but they responded to my daughter in about2 weeks with a cut and paste of the weight regulations from their website.

My god! someone in their employ knows how to cut and paste, they deserve a raise. Point being I can read and have read their regulations. They point out that overweight cost is $5 US per kilogram, well that must be new math because 8 kg over time $5 US = $40 not the $45 she was charged.

"Our baggage policy, the free baggage allowance is determined together with the Tour Operator and we believe this is sufficient for leisure travel"
I guess the point is that this responent missed the boat, or should I say plane, on this one!! How could she possibly come back 8 kg heavier than she left when her 8 month old son consumed all that baby food, water, formula, etc. Obviously, this person has never had to travel with children.

They end their email with :

"We trust you understand our position in this matter and thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. We hope to welcome you aboard another Skyservice flight at some point in the future, under more pleasant circumstances"

Hardly

Swissport is their handling company and they have been notified!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hlywud said:
Well LMAO my six to eight weeks are not up but they responded to my daughter in about2 weeks with a cut and paste of the weight regulations from their website.
Did you mention in your email that the guy had his foot on the scale and refused to move it?

email mentioned the gal had her foot on the scales, next time I will have my video ready to run and have hard evidence. There were more than my daughter who got hooked, some for $100 US and they told me they bought nothing and their luggage was the same as when they departed YYZ.

She ( a school teacher) says it does feel good to give to the dominican children at the school in El cortecito but she didnt want to help an employee at the airport have a very nice Christmas. Theft is theft no matter how you look at it, next time I will take another air service, it will be a snowy day in Punta Cana when I use them again.

If I had my camera or video ready which I did not, I certainly would be taking this to the national press but without hard evidence other than our word it is kind of tough thing to do. They are bigger than I am and have more corporate finances available to fight the issue.

I posted more as a warning to others, we will not die without that $45 US.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wud did you book through a travel agent? Maybe you could complain to them since they will be directly hurt by you going through someone else.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hlywud said:
My T/A will not hurt, he will still get my bookings but with a different Tour operator, there are many ways to Mecca or should I say the DR.
Did you ever hear anything from the airline?

Also, you may want to complain to you Travel Agent. If they know about the problem, maybe they will stop using the airline.