Getting married in the Dominican Republic

MikefosterLondon

Nov 29, 2005
My Fiancee and I are getting married in the Dominican Republic. Do not know the actual date yet as we have to wait until we arrive before we can be given the date. We will arrive 21 May 2006 and staying at the Puerto Plata Village and Beach Club. As we have never ever been out of England before there are a few questions that need to be answered to make it a perfect holiday, marriage and honeymoon.

Although I have read the reports about the safety in the Dom. Rep. these were posted some time ago. I appreciate that things change therefore:

1. How safe is it to venture outside the hotel complex?

2. If it is safe, where can we go?
We like the countryside and meeting people, we are very friendly people
that like to have new experiences.

3. Again if it is safe, where can we book trips, rather than use the hotel?

4. We have read on-line that there is a lot of poverty, especially amongst
children going to school, therefore we intend bringing out school supplies
such as, pencil, pens and exercise books to be distributed amongst the
children. Where is the best place to take these supplies for the children
to ensure they get them?

It is important to me that this holiday, marriage and honeymoon goes perfectly well, so that my fiancee will have good memories of our wedding.l

GLEN WILLS

Aug 9, 2005
Get Serious Mate!

Me and my Mrs from London went to the DR for the first time 3 years ago. We stayed at all-inclusive resort outside Santo Domingo.

I have to tell you mate the all-inclusive resort we stayed at was the most sterile, boring full of overseas visitors who have no inclination or willingness to experience Dominican life and the wonderful Dominican people. Within 4 days of staying in the resort we checked out and moved into the city. We had the most amazing time. We have now been going back there regularly and plan to even retire there in 5 years.

Yes, crime does exist - but if you walk down the street in any town or even village in the UK you will find bad people. Do not overtly show off any wealth or jewellery. Don't forget a lot of the people in the Dominican live on the poverty line. Just by using a bit of common sense you can experience the most fabulous time on this amazing island. Please do make an effort to get outside the resort and meet the local people. Yes you will be hassled to buy gifts etc. but a polite 'no' and a smile is sufficient and carry on with your business.

Enjoy your arrival in paradise and congratulations to you both.

Two fellow Brits

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
1. Generally very safe but use normal traveller's precautions as you would in any unknown area.

2. Lots to do from Ocean World www.oceanworld.net to free rum factory tour to day trips to Sosua and Cabarete and the list goes on and on.

3. www.isairatours.com Martin Espinal may be reached at espinal30@msn.com and offers tours and taxi services and customized day trips with English speaking drivers if required.

4. www.beyondthebeach.org We recommend supporting a charity such as ours which minimizes the intrusion on precious school time and does not promote truancy or begging by Dominican children. Isaira tours is a drop-off location in Puerto Plata and Martin or one of his drivers can see that any and all non-cash donations are put to good use.

Gregg

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
I used to work at PPV so if you need anything please PM me and I would be glad to help. I used to be the Guest Service Manager and Wedding Coordinator.
Looking forward to hearing from you - Mazel Tov!!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I live and work in the Puerto Plata area. I can tell you it is very safe here when you use general precautions. Basically what you do to feel safe at home is what you do here.

The recommendations of Fireguy are excellent! Mr. Martin Espinall runs a very good company. Oceanworld is amazing. And Beyond the beach does really good work.

I also suggest you go on the Catamaran excursion. It is a fabulous day out on the water.

Definately get out of the resort and discover this country. It is full of amazing people, wonderful scenery and most likely a few adventures!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
RE: going outside the resort.

I've been going to the DR for a few years and always stayed with a local family until last year, when I stayed at my first AI. This year stayed at my second AI for convenience's sake. The taxi drivers at the hotel told me horror stories about venturing off the resort and wanted insane amounts of money to take me anywhere. Having been there before and not really buying it I flagged a taxi down off the main road in Cabarete and saved lots of money and had the same peace of mind. They will tell you anything to keep the revenue. Be cautious but adventurous. You'll be fine.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
MikefosterLondon said:
4. We have read on-line that there is a lot of poverty, especially amongst
children going to school, therefore we intend bringing out school supplies
such as, pencil, pens and exercise books to be distributed amongst the
children. Where is the best place to take these supplies for the children
to ensure they get them?
To answer question #4 above let me make the following suggestion. In playa Dorado you will see horse drawn buggy rides, in fact one is usually included in the hotel wedding packages. Contract for one of these drivers to take you up to the village of Munoz. About a fifteen minute ride into the mountain across from the hotel complex. There are two areas of Munoz. A poor Dominican village and then a very, very poor Haitian village. Many of the kids of the village will come out and greet you. I would suggest that you bring a few bags of candy and school supplies to distribute. You are totally safe. I lived in the village for a few months when I first moved to the DR. You can also make a stop at the school house. The young kids attend in the morning and the older in the afternoon.
Tell the driver you probably need him for 3 hours. That will give you plenty of time to stop in one of the local stores for a drink or two. You will see rural Dominican village life the way it really is.
Have fun and congratulations.

MikefosterLondon

Nov 29, 2005
Thank You

I would like to thank you people that have replied to my thread.

All of your comments will be taken into account by my fiancee and I, and know doubt we will be replying to some of them personally.

We hope to make this a very special occasion and with your guidance we will be able to ensure that it is a special occasion.

Once again thank you for your time in answering my thread.

If you wish to reply to me personally my e-mail is: mikefosre49@tiscali.co.uk

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sent you a chatty e-mail with a few ideas.

HB :D:D

And the darned thing got bounced back. So here it is:

Just a few things
1) Make sure you have the paperwork
a. Birth Certificates
b.Affidavit certifying that you are single
c.Certificate of Health would be good
2) The hotel will arrange for the wedding and the Justice of the Peace. If you want a church wedding I think you have to do more errands.
3) Do get in touch with BushBaby (He's a Brit, too! :p)
E-mail Address(es):
grahame@casabush.org
He works with a youth group that do handicrafts and such.
In the DR1 board, there is "La Profe" and she works with severely handicaped children in a project calle Mustard Seed.
Fireguy's group also does a lot of great work.

4)Bring strong sun block 30 or better. You don't need to have a sunburn ruin your time together (anyway you want to read that last bit!)
Also some good bug repellant with DEET. We have a set of little "no-see-ems" that can irritate the heck outta anybody.
5) Bring long trousers, socks and shoes for your forays into town and country. Khakis, jeans or just ordinary clothes. Shorts and sandals make you look "too" touristy. ..Also a light sweater for dining out at air conditioned restaurants. or travelling to Santiago to see the heart of the country--heck even to have a cuppa coffee (or tea) with Hillbillly & Clan...

I am pretty sure that this will come off pretty fair for you and your bride....so relax and enjoy..

Cordially,
Name omitted to protect the weak
---------
a.k.a. Hillbilly

Last edited: