Why So Many More Americans in the North?

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
This statement may be completely wrong, but to the casual observer, there appear to be many more tourists and ex-pats (particularly American) on the North coast instead of the South. First, is this statement true and second, if this statement is true, why so?

Thanks,
Helpmann :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sort of true. But there are tons of Americans in Santo Domingo and La Romana. And I mean tons.
The group in the North is numerous, for sure, but there are probably even more in the South and Southeast...Different types of people....Different strokes???

N ee way, most of them are pretty nice folks...no kiddin', easy to get along with and neighborly.

HB:p:p:p

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
helpmann said:
This statement may be completely wrong, but to the casual observer, there appear to be many more tourists and ex-pats (particularly American) on the North coast instead of the South. First, is this statement true and second, if this statement is true, why so?

Thanks,

True or not? I dont know the answer to that however I can tell you that it is considerably cheaper to travel to the north Coast from the UK compared to the south....perhaps one reason why you get more tourists travelling to the north of the island.

Also - the north coast attracts those watersport enthusiasts - travelling to Cabarete......there's the whale watching in Samana at the beginning of the year.

In terms of living there - is it cheaper up north?

Daydream

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
helpmann said:
Thanks, Helpmann :)

Not so at all, not anywhere, North, South, East, or West, and not all that are there are, nor all that are are there. Not long ago, upon returning from Azua with my family, and stopping at the obligatory bus/truck stop known as El Cruce de Ocoa, I approached an American-looking couple sitting a few tables away, and after a formal introduction I asked them where they were from. The said they were Peace Corp volunteers, on the last leg of their tour of duty at a remote village close to the border with Haiti. I asked them what was the most outlandish encounter with the culture. They said it was Dominican voodoo. After a brief explanation on this folk religion telling them that Dominican voodoo actually went by the name of La Veintiuna División", I asked them if they could help me finish a nursury rhyme for my young children. They agreed, and I proceeded to recite "little miss muphet sat on her tuphet eating her curds and whey..." then they enthusiastically jumped in and proceeded in unison, but stumbling on the words, breaking into laughter. We all laughed. However, I suspect they were not Americans.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Mirador: I really want to have some of whatever you're having...Wow

As HB noted there are also many Americans in the south (Santo Domingo area). It's just they are not as visible as Sto. Dgo. is a large city so you're not going to run into them at every turn. In addition the ones in the south are probably mostly on business or actually live there, instead of just visiting as tourists...

What you'll find in the north are way more Canadians and Europeans. This has to do with travel package availability more than anything...

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
helpmann said:

Thanks,

I don't think there is that many Americans in the North coast. There are more Europeans and Canadians than anything else. You probably find more Americans living in or around the Santo Domingo area.