Which hotel in Santiago ?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am in Santiago for a couple of nights and plan to stay at Hotel Colonial. But a few posts mentioned that it is in a terrible street/area with all the drug dealers, hookers etc. and some question marks over the safety and security of the hotel. (I guess that is a trade off for being in down town !)

It's my first time in DR and very little Spanish so all I want (for 2 nights) is to make sure when I get back to my room I can still find my suitcase and I am not robbed in the middle of the night (in the hotel or that street) ! So is this hotel OK in that respect (I can cope with anything else for 2 nights).

The alternatives I've heard are Hotel Platino or Hotel Aloja Sol, any recommendations ? (best be central, though not sure where that is ! I heard El Monument is nice to hang out and I need to get to Caribe Tour terminal.)

Thanks,
A.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Unless things have recently changed, you don't need to worry about robbed in or around the Hotel Colonial. While it is in the bad part of town, I didn't notice drug dealers or street walkers when I stayed there. The Hotel itself is kind of dingy, but what can you expect for about $500RD.

The Hotel Platino is in a much better part of town, and is a much better hotel, but the basic rooms are tiny, and the rate for a basic room is more than triple that of Hotel Colonial.

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Colonial and Monterey are great, cheap, no problems whatsoever...

Camp David, in the mountains, is really nice as well, but it's far away from everything...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It's safe in that area at night, have not been approached by any drug dealers, a few hookers and laborers hanging out at Hotel Lima on the corner and the rooms are secure with a guard to let you in at night.
If you can afford or want to spend more for comfort, then Aloha Sol might be a better option. You get what you pay for, nada mas.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I like hotel platino. Its clean and situated in a much better area than colonial.
AZB

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the replies,

I wouldn't mind paying more if the place is more comfy (and possibly safer and more secure, although someone wrote that his stuff was nicked from Platino !).

Where about are the Platino and Aloha Sol ? As long as they are fairly central it's OK, and how much should I expect to pay these days?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Aloha Sol is on Calle del Sol
http://www.alohasol.com/default.htm
It's closer to the monument and on a busy street with a lot of shopping and banks(ATMs) expect to pay 3x more than Colonial appx. 8 blocks away
http://bocachicabeach.net/images/maps/map_santiago_low.jpg

Word of advice, they are doing construction next to the Colonial and I was awaken bright and early to the sounds of trucks, drilling and other heavy equipment, due to the fact my room faced the parking lot.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Uzin said:
Where about are the Platino and Aloha Sol ? As long as they are fairly central it's OK, and how much should I expect to pay these days?
Below are links to each of those hotels. Aloha Sol doesn't post their rates. The rates for the Hotel Platino do not include the 26% tax. The rates might be slightly higher then posted on the website. I believe I paid about $1650RD for their standard room (about the size of a postage stamp).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Show your business card to platino desk girl and tell her you are here for business, a conferance in santiago Ex: in granalmirante. Then ask for a corporate discount rate. They don't care what story you give them, just fill out the form and put in whatever you like. I made reservation for a friend of mine, wrote down that he was here for a seminar by Hewlett packerd company in hotel granalmirante (or anywhere you choose to write down). They gave him a nice discount.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hello????

Remember me?

Come on fellows, help the local guy.........hint, hint, hint!!

HB :D:D:D:D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Hello????

Remember me?

Come on fellows, help the local guy.........hint, hint, hint!!

HB :D:D:D:D
ohhh, I recall you posting something about a bed-breakfast you are opening. Am I right?:classic:

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
The Aloha Sol and its surroundings felt very safe when we were there. We walked all around Calle de Sol, up and down Sanchez and all over near the monument and never felt any threat, even when we were walking back from dinner at dusk or at night.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just remembered, how can I forget?
Send Pm to hillbilly. He has clean rooms available to rent to responsible folks for very good price. His place is located in a very good neighborhood and I hear the price is unbeatable. He is also a good source of guidance.
contact Hillbilly.
AZB

May 12, 2005
I have to agree with AZB about Hotel Platino. I've stayed there twice and would reccomend it highly. Although, if it's only 2 nights, then try out Hillbilly's B&B. Enjoy your trip.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks everyone for great info...

I now have a few options and can decide later...

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Look no further

;) Just pm HB.Stayed there two weeks ago and it was great.

Just be respectable, low-key at night.... you may even get rewarded by a great breakfast in the morning. Good luck in your travels.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Amber

I have stayed at Hotel Amber twice. Nothing special, but clean and reasonalby priced.

They also have no problem with you bringing guest in for the night.

Chuckuindy

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Stayed at Aloha Sol for two nights, rooms were small but clean and had everything. The safe is not much of a safe (a screwdriver would suffice to open it !) - that quite worried me, at the beginning of my holiday with all the cash....

Very nice buffet breakfast on Sunday morning (eat as much as you like) but Monday was a small plate.

Generally quite pleasant, air conditioner very good and it is specaillly only 5 min to Monumento. But it is quite expensive and would expensive for long stay (1400 pesos per night for a single incl Breakfast). Not sure about their bringing guest policy (wan't that lucky !?).