dominican/ visa to the us ?

yankeefan

Sep 30, 2005
Just a question here, if a dominican citizen goes to santo domingo to apply for a visa for the United states, what do they need, and will they be able to get one. What kind of paper work is involved.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
yankeefan said:
Just a question here, if a dominican citizen goes to santo domingo to apply for a visa for the United states, what do they need, and will they be able to get one. What kind of paper work is involved.

You need to give some more info. Is this a relative, wife, fiancee or just a friend? Different procedures apply to different people. For example, if this is your fiancee, you have to fill out the I-129F form to petition her to the US. If it's just a friend, that friend must have strong ties to DR in order to receive a visa. The US wants to make sure that your friend plans to go back to DR once his trip is over. He would either have to own a house, have a bank account, a job...etc. things of that nature.

yankeefan

Sep 30, 2005
well its my fiance, but i do plan on going back to marry him, i have the I-129F form all filed out. but my question is he had a visa to england for 3 months, never used it, now can he go to santo domingo to get one for the united states.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
yankeefan said:
well its my fiance, but i do plan on going back to marry him, i have the I-129F form all filed out. but my question is he had a visa to england for 3 months, never used it, now can he go to santo domingo to get one for the united states.
What happened? Did his British fiance reneg on sending him a plane ticket?

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
yankeefan said:

If it were only that easy. God knows I wish it was. I am also trying to bring my fiancee to the US. I am going to send the I-129F petition in January 2006. Now, the visa to England is no good because it's a totally different country with different entry rules and regulations. What you have to do, since you already filled out the I-129F form is send it your nearest regional service center (there should be a list in your packet). After that, all you can do is wait until its processed and sent to Santo Domingo. Now here is were it takes some time. The petition usually makes it to Santo Domingo in a month or so, but waiting for the interview could take up to 8 months. Your fiance should receive something in the mail regarding his interview and what documents he needs. Good luck, and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Immigration ain't stupid--

They may be slow and lazy, but they aren't stupid. You think that you can convince them that you are in a stable, long-term relationship with a resort worker that you met 9 months ago and have spent a grand total of a few weeks with. You want them to issue a visa with the hope of an impending marriage?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
What happened? Did his British fiance reneg on sending him a plane ticket??

HOWMAR said:
They may be slow and lazy, but they aren't stupid. You think that you can convince them that you are in a stable, long-term relationship with a resort worker that you met 9 months ago and have spent a grand total of a few weeks with. You want them to issue a visa with the hope of an impending marriage?
This is the legal forum, she asked a legal question. Can we all just please TRY to answer her questions and save the relationship criticisms for the other forums?

FYI, the US INS doesn't require you to be in a stable, long-term relationship. They only want proof that the relationship is real, that you can support your spouse once they get into to the US, and that they are drug and disease free. They don't care if you met six months ago or six years ago, as long as you have proof of the relationship. The don't grant visas on the basis that they think the marriage will last. It is rare that K1 visas are denied.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
They don't care if you met six months ago or six years ago, as long as you have proof of the relationship. .
The operative words being "proof of the relationship". Tell me how you can prove a relationship when you've visited here three times, including the initial meeting. Am I missing something? Who is going to pull Charlie McCarthy's strings at the interview? For example. will he remember how many siblings you have, if asked? Oh, I forgot, you do have proof. You have copies of three tourist cards.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
The operative words being "proof of the relationship". Tell me how you can prove a relationship when you've visited here three times, including the initial meeting. Am I missing something? Who is going to pull Charlie McCarthy's strings at the interview? For example. will he remember how many siblings you have, if asked? Oh, I forgot, you do have proof. You have copies of three tourist cards.
I will send you a PM.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
HOWMAR said:

All she has to prove is that she has seen her fiance at least once within the last two years. A plane ticket and some pictures will prove that. A long with phone logs and emails that they still stay in touch.

yaidani

Feb 23, 2005
The Voice said:
What you have to do, since you already filled out the I-129F form is send it your nearest regional service center (there should be a list in your packet). After that, all you can do is wait until its processed and sent to Santo Domingo. Now here is were it takes some time. The petition usually makes it to Santo Domingo in a month or so, but waiting for the interview could take up to 8 months. Your fiance should receive something in the mail regarding his interview and what documents he needs. Good luck, and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Currently the wait to get an interview in Santo Domingo seems to be taking upwards of 12 months. I have been waiting for longer than 7 months now and there are still more than 8,000 people waiting ahead of me.

You will have plenty of time to solidify the relationship and make plans for the wedding.

Feel free to PM me.