shipping a car

ada

Feb 2, 2005
I am planning on shipping my car with all my other stuff. I was wondering if there is a website where I might find how much in taxes I will have to pay for my car once it arrives in DR.

FYI it is a 2000 Lexus RX300 and I have 2 years with it already. (I understand if you have the car for at least a year the taxes are cheaper.)

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
This week customs began enforcing the ban on importing vehicles older than 5 years. Currently all pre-2000 are being excluded and will be returned to port of origin. Better check to see if in January this moves the acceptable date or not. Dee DR1 news:
A thousand plus cars to be reshipped
Over 1,100 vehicles are listed for reshipment to their ports of origin, according to the Director General of Customs (DGA). What's more, this does not include the vehicles docked at the port of Boca Chica, and the DGA is hurrying to gather the exact number of out-of-date vehicles, excluding large trucks and construction equipment, that are currently in the Dominican ports of entry. By Law 147-00, a tax reform law, no vehicle older than five years may be imported to the Dominican Republic. Yesterday the return of older vehicles began. There is, however, one more solution for those vehicles currently in port. By means of Circular 20024, the DGA authorized collection officials to clear vehicles of pre-2000 manufacture if they are revalued as if they were 2000 model year vehicles. This is a one-off opportunity and the only other result is that the vehicles will be shipped out. Any further imports of out-of-date vehicles will result in their seizure

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I believe the cheaper tax rate only applies to Dominicans.

Also, you need to check if a model year 2000 is considered more than 5 years old since they are now releasing the 2006 models. In previous posts people had said you can bribe someone to bring in a car older than 5 years, but in a recent DR1 news article it seemed like they are clamping down on that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
While checking into dates, etc., also see the archives of this board on "importing cars"