Las Terrazas Sosua

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Suddenly a lot of the apartments at the new Las Terrazas in Sosua is put out for sale. Does anybody know if there is some problems or anything wrong there ?

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
you got it, many problems

I drove up into and all around Las Terrazas in Sosua two days ago (Tuesday). There is some serious problems with the one apartment complex there that had in the last month or so listing with there great view etc. Its just another classic D.R. situation where property encroachment is the issue, like half there grounds are not even there property but there neighbours etc.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds very serious. Anybody with more information ? This is a 100% Juan Perdomo / 21'th Century project, isn't it ?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
Sounds very serious. Anybody with more information ? This is a 100% Juan Perdomo / 21'th Century project, isn't it ?
I haven't heard anything to date but very curious. Either way, I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there anyway.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Why ? It looks like a great location to me. Very expensive though.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
Why ? It looks like a great location to me. Very expensive though.
Spend a Saturday night or Sunday on your balcony. Dominicans line up with their SUV's with radios blasting (Among other things). Ask Escott or Ken if they would trade places.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:
Spend a Saturday night or Sunday on your balcony. Dominicans line up with their SUV's with radios blasting (Among other things). Ask Escott or Ken if they would trade places.

I wouldn't move there from our quiet, upscale neighborhood.

For less money, you can get an approximately 120 sq mt, 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment with 24/7 electricity in El Neptuno in a very quiet, desirable neighborhood. It happens that several apartments are available now, but not because of any trouble.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy said:

I'll guess this is a major problem there. It would also be interessting to hear more about the problems Kiwicanuck wrote about.
Regarding El Neptuno, it's seems like a very nice place, but i'll guess most of the appartments there has none or very limited seaview, and there is probably danger that there in the future can be new constructions in front of it ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tor said:
I'll guess this is a major problem there. It would also be interessting to hear more about the problems Kiwicanuck wrote about.
Regarding El Neptuno, it's seems like a very nice place, but i'll guess most of the appartments there has none or very limited seaview, and there is probably danger that there in the future can be new constructions in front of it ?

The 2nd and 3rd floor apartments have sea view from the balcony. Limited by the trees across the street, but still viewable from most apartments. Regarding future construction, I suppose that is possible any place, but the homes across the street all belong to descendents of the Jewish families that settled here before WWII. They have been in these families for years. While I realize this is no guarantee, they are not people who are looking to make a quick buck by selling their property.

Consider the options: La Puntilla, which sold when opened for about US$100,000 or more for an apartment than you can get a comparable unit for at El Neptuno is in a fight with Piergiorgio and has ended up with a pizza cooker that sends smoke and fumes into many of the apartments and a high wall that has greatly limited the view (and, I believe value) of many of those apartments. Or there is Las Terrazas, which is in dispute over who owns what land. This will undoubtedly involve extensive litigation with no certainty of winning, and guess who is going to pay the legal fees.

Also, the street that passes in front is quiet. One reason being the people living in the neighboring homes have political clout in Sosua. I learned this when we were involved with the Voodoo Lounge in getting them to enclose the building with glass so that we wouldn't be bothered at night. Fortunately, one of the descendent families joined with us, and when a group of owners went to Santo Domingo to meet with the Tourism officials, it was the letter we carried with us from this descendent that got the most attention and positive response.

Re Sky's question, the maintenance fees this year are US$360/month.

If anybody is interested, I'll be happy to put them in direct contact with owners who have their apartment for sale.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
I made a mistake, need to correct it

Tor said:
I'll guess this is a major problem there. It would also be interessting to hear more about the problems Kiwicanuck wrote about. (QUOTE]

I had only been off the the plane 7 hours and had only 3 hours sleep when I wrote my previous thread regarding Las Terrazas. I got it mixed up with another property I had looked at, sorry about that.

I looked at over 20 different properties in the two weeks down there and could write an essay regarding the different wrinkles one and all has to them.