what is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lovesthebeach

Can someone help me out?

What is the correct english translation for the following 2 words and in what context would you use them?

pachanga
chercha

I know both have to do with having fun...but I would like to understand more clearly as no web dictionary that I have tried translates either word.

Thanks to anyone who can shed a little light on this for me.
LTB:classic:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As I understand it,

- pachanga is like fiesta, a party
- chercha is lively conversation

L

lovesthebeach

That is sort of how I understood it too...

that chercha was similar to "hanging out" with friends and pachanga would be a more of a party..perhaps with loud(er) music, drinking & possibly dancing.

Thanks Chiri!
LTB

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Lovesthebeach...

You will not find these terms in an online dictionary since they are known as jerga (slang) or colloquialisms and if you do you have to make sure the context is what you are looking for. For example I found cherchar in the dictionary and it was not referring to the Dominican colloquial meaning.

1) Chercha is the noun from the verb cherchar, which is Dominican slang. In simple terms it means conversar or charlar.

2) Pachanga is slang for fiesta but very popular in many Spanish speaking countries. I don't think anyone would have a problem understanding you if you said: Voy a la pachanga esta noche. If you listen to salsa music you will hear pachanga used all the time.

LDG.

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
Lesley D said:
1) Chercha is the noun from the verb cherchar, which is Dominican slang. In simple terms it means conversar or charlar.

2) Pachanga is slang for fiesta but very popular in many Spanish speaking countries. I don't think anyone would have a problem understanding you if you said: Voy a la pachanga esta noche. If you listen to salsa music you will hear pachanga used all the time.

LDG.

1. In some places I've heard placticar? is this the same thing?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's platicar, and it means more or less the same as 'charlar' - 'to converse with', or 'to chat'. You hear it all the time in Central America. I've never heard a Dominican using it, though.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
What is the difference? (No es lo mismo...)

No es lo mismo decir un cura con sotana negra, que un cura en el s?tano con una negra.

No es lo mismo decir una pelota negra, que una negra en pelota.

No es lo mismo decir un p?jaro de alto vuelo que el p?jaro de tu abuelo.

No es lo mismo decir tuberculoso que ver tu culo hermoso.

No es lo mismo decir calentar a ba?o maria, que calentarse en el ba?o con la Maria.

etc, etc...

"No es lo mismo" (1,640,000 hits in google)

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Dos mas...

No es lo mismo una chica embarazada que una chica asada en bara.
No es lo mismo una chica caprichosa que una choza chica en Capri.

Status
Not open for further replies.