Car Rental in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonS

Nov 6, 2005
I want to rent a car in Puerto Plata in mid-December.

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to rent a car at the Airport, Playa Dorado or in Puerto Plata?

Any hints, tips or warnings?

Thanks

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
HAve a two week rental through AVIS in POP airport for new years time. Was cheapest price by about 50%. Don't know about there service but will post after experiencing it...tom

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
GordonS said:
I want to rent a car in Puerto Plata in mid-December.

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to rent a car at the Airport, Playa Dorado or in Puerto Plata?

Any hints, tips or warnings?

Thanks

It is cheaper to rent in the townships from local car renting companies that from anyone else. However it takes local knowledge to make it happen.

I just rented a Susuki Sidekick for two weeks in Sosua.

The rate one pays for rental is directly related to how knowledgeable one is on the ways of the D.R. In my opinion that is.

I had read and studied the different opinions on this board over a long period of time.

The bottom line is there are many different rates and its what one is willing to pay.

I choose to rent for $34 a day including all insurance's. It was an older Sidekick but perfectly adequate for my requirements. I knowingly paid within that $34 a $4 premium kickback to the local person who put the deal together for me. I have no problem paying small amounts to learn the tricks that will benifit me in the future. I now have a company that knows me and will pick me up at the airport in the future and rent to me at close to a residents rate. Considerably less than the $34 a day rate. (somewhere around $22 thru $26 on a two week period, off season)

I rented in Sosua from L UND 1 RENT A CAR phone 809-571-2452 or Cellular 809-222-3255

I found the other companies rates in this ballpark were for a economy car and not a 4 wheel drive suv. I strongly suggest a 4 wheel drive even tho I never used it. The higher ground clearence is helpful as some of the beaches I went to may have been a problem getting out from in an economy car.

I had no problem adjusting to the driving in the D.R. however I have had a lot of experience driving in other countries. If your only driving experience is in North America it will be a big adjustment for you.

The best advice I could offer to anyone driving in the D.R. is wear your seat belt and try to never drive at night.

The best part of renting a car is that I never once had to ride or deal with the motorconcho boys.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.