ok new question..technicality type

Sep 19, 2005
If an american man married a dominican woman, and they have a child together while she is still in the DR, and hasnt recieved any type of visa to that point....is the child Dominican, or can it be claimed as a us citizen of the father?.....I am thinking dominican, but also think that there has to be some fatherly rights attached to the child

LARRY calm down, its just a question!!!!!!!!..ha ha ha.....bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
If an american man married a dominican woman, and they have a child together while she is still in the DR, and hasnt recieved any type of visa to that point....is the child Dominican, or can it be claimed as a us citizen of the father?.....I am thinking dominican, but also think that there has to be some fatherly rights attached to the child

LARRY calm down, its just a question!!!!!!!!..ha ha ha.....bob
If You have a kid with a Dominican, then that kid can have US citizenship as long as you can prove he's yours.

When's the baby shower?:laugh:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
See:http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html
The pertinent sections are:

Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship By a Child Born Abroad
Birth Abroad to One Citizen and One Alien Parent in Wedlock: A child born abroad to one U.S. citizen parent and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth under Section 301(g) INA provided the citizen parent was physically present in the U.S. for the time period required by the law applicable at the time of the child's birth. (For birth on or after November 14, 1986, a period of five years physical presence, two after the age of fourteen is required. For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, a period of ten years, five after the age of fourteen are required for physical presence in the U.S. to transmit U.S. citizenship to the child.

Birth Abroad Out-of-Wedlock to a U.S. Citizen Father: A child born abroad out-of-wedlock to a U.S. citizen father may acquire U.S. citizenship under Section 301(g) INA, as made applicable by Section 309(a) INA provided:

1) a blood relationship between the applicant and the father is established by clear and convincing evidence;

2) the father had the nationality of the United States at the time of the applicant's birth;

3) the father (unless deceased) had agreed in writing to provide financial support for the person until the applicant reaches the age of 18 years, and

4) while the person is under the age of 18 years --

A) applicant is legitimated under the law of their residence or domicile,

B) father acknowledges paternity of the person in writing under oath, or

C) the paternity of the applicant is established by adjudication court.

With a legally recognized marriage the paternity is attributed to the husband unless contested and proven otherwise.

Sep 19, 2005
no baby in the works...the sangre flows this week as we speak! dont tell her I said it, but ..YEAH!!! for now..ha ha ha

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
We really did not need to know this fact.

Bob:

FYI, its called "La Luna" en Espanol!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I don´t know the "If & Whens" of US law but to give you a real life example:
An Ecuatorian girl who lived in my house in the US fell for an American guy.
The relationship got her pregnant.
However, as the boy did not have his act together by then, she followed my family to Spain, unwed.
He came to Spain for the baby´s birth and signed as the father, in Spain.
Two weeks later I personally drove the three of them to the US consulate in Madrid and the baby came out of the meeting with all the papers waiting for his US passport. The parents were still not wed.
They got married months later, in Spain, she subsequently got her visa and they now all live in Florida, just miles away where it all started.
BTW, she was all that time not a legal resident in Spain.
That was about 3 years ago.
So, my answer, based on that little experience, would be YES.

Sep 19, 2005
whoa!, this forum is strange....how did HOWMARS post squeeze in between the other posts?

in any case great info and thanks for finding it

bob