USDA Grade A Beef - Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is there a good butcher shop in or near Sosua. I would also like to know where to purcchase "fresh" seafood. I will be staying in an Apart Hotel with cooking facilities. I love to cook for me and my guest.

I know there are great restaurants of which I will also dine at, but it is nice to have a relaxed evening at the hotel cooking, relaxing, sipping some wine, etc.;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The German Butcher is supposed to be the best in Sosua.
Signs all over the place, plus has ads on Rubi 92.5, so I'm sure he is very easy to find :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Robert is correct, the German butcher, Danielle, has the best meat. He is located in the small shopping area next to the Stars Car Wash. This is East of Sosua on the South side just before the Producto Sosua coming form Cabarete. He is closed Sundays.

Also, you can eat there. He has a special everyday.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Gracias,

German butcher it will be. Now if only I knew more spanish than gracias;)

Seafood, donde comprar?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Chris said:
Ask him to age your steaks for you...

Just curious, does Danny have a hidden supply of aged beef? If so, it would be worth the extra pesos. Ahhhhh, Broiled aged steak, baked potatoe with sour cream and chives, sauted mushrooms and onions, red wine, pretty Domincan chica, all served in the Apart Hotel. Wow, 43 days to go. I can't wait.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Robert said:
The German Butcher is supposed to be the best in Sosua.
Signs all over the place, plus has ads on Rubi 92.5, so I'm sure he is very easy to find :)
I beg to differ.
It's been my experience that he buys from the same suppliers as we do and is nowhere near as fussy about quality as we are, then he has to mark it up a fair bit, and he will sell you products that are too old and sometimes have gone bad.
I know it's difficult to get any decent meat from the supermarkets, but I would guess that you have a better chance of finding good fresh tender cuts from Productos Sosua and Playero, and at a better price, as well.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
bigbird said:
Just curious, does Danny have a hidden supply of aged beef? If so, it would be worth the extra pesos. Ahhhhh, Broiled aged steak, baked potatoe with sour cream and chives, sauted mushrooms and onions, red wine, pretty Domincan chica, all served in the Apart Hotel. Wow, 43 days to go. I can't wait.

Not as far as I know. I've from time to time asked him to age beef for me and he has done that well.

Rockys comment is also valid. If you do not check the quality well, you may be unhappy. His normal unaged steaks are really not tender (that goes for the whole of the Dominican Republic) and you have to marinade and do all kinds of stuff to make it into a steak.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Chris said:
Rockys comment is also valid. If you do not check the quality well, you may be unhappy. His normal unaged steaks are really not tender (that goes for the whole of the Dominican Republic) and you have to marinade and do all kinds of stuff to make it into a steak.

Maybe I will take my chances and bring a box of frozen Omaha Steaks with me. I guess the worst thing that could happen would be for immigration to confiscate them.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are places in Santiago, where you can buy imported steaks, as well.
Pricesmart and Super Polo, to name a couple.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Rocky said:
There are places in Santiago, where you can buy imported steaks, as well.
Pricesmart and Super Polo, to name a couple.

Pricesmart is kind of nice because like costco here in the US you can buy the beef cryopacked and then cut the steaks to your preference.

Bob K

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I’m told you can purchase "fresh" seafood in the Charamicos (sp?) section of Sousa. I'm not sure exactly where, but I believe it's where the fishing boats dock. You'll have to ask around.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
DO you mean .. prime beef?

bigbird said:
Is there a good butcher shop in or near Sosua. I would also like to know where to purcchase "fresh" seafood. I will be staying in an Apart Hotel with cooking facilities. I love to cook for me and my guest.

I know there are great restaurants of which I will also dine at, but it is nice to have a relaxed evening at the hotel cooking, relaxing, sipping some wine, etc.;)

If so,you will not find that in the DR ..unless shipped in.

My butcher i use here in U.S cost's 16.00$ LB for aged prime with beautiful marbel in his strips, porterhouse, and Del Monaco's which I prefer due to fat content for flavor, so I doubt people there will pay the price.

The US only produces 2% of prime meat in the whole country and that's why it is so expensive. Aged prime four to six weeks is even more due to loss.

Never had a steak in the DR... maybe you can find choice meats their.

I hope you find what you're after.;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
easygoin said:
If so,you will not find that in the DR ..unless shipped in.

Never had a steak in the DR... maybe you can find choice meats their.

I hope you find what you're after.;)

I will take my chances bringing in some Omaha Steaks. If all goes well then next trip I will bring some aged prime beef from Allen Brothers.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I understand what you're getting at

QUOTE=CyaBye3015]I think the OP's intent was for personal use.[/QUOTE]

My point was, the supply and demand for quality meats is not there.... so in essence will be hard for him to find.;)

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Omaha steaks

bigbird said:
I will take my chances bringing in some Omaha Steaks. If all goes well then next trip I will bring some aged prime beef from Allen Brothers.

Are great for 99%.... I just happen to be the 1%;) and I'm sure you're the same, no flavor.

Allen Brothers, what can you say...... other then you pay for what you need or want.;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
easygoin said:
Allen Brothers, what can you say...... other then you pay for what you need or want.;)

I guess you understand why I wouldn't want to risk bringing them the first time. I would hate to have my steaks confiscated. This would definetly be a time to slip the inspector a few pesos.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Can you bring beef into the country?

bigbird said:
I guess you understand why I wouldn't want to risk bringing them the first time. I would hate to have my steaks confiscated. This would definetly be a time to slip the inspector a few pesos.

I'm a huge STEAK FAN and would love to bring in some for people... dry ice carry on, is that possible even paying them some money?

Status
Not open for further replies.