Men's Dress Shirt Size

BluKris

May 19, 2005
I need some help.I 'm trying to buy my bf a dress shirt here in the states and asked him to get measurements by a tailor in DR.
Problem:
I don't know what metric system is used there.I have 60-shoulders, 65-waist, 70-arms.

I've asked my bf what measurement those were(cm, mm,) and he replies "you know the ones that tailors use,so i give up and surrender to the forum.

thanks in advance

Sep 19, 2005
I dont know what you look like, But I will guess that they would have to be CM.... there are about 25mm's per inch......and we know your arms are longer than 3"......more like 30"...........a cm= about .394" so there are about 2.5 CM'er per inch............or just take his INCH measurments and divide by .394"... and you will have his CM size.....so if he is a 44" chest .......44"/.394"=approx 111 cm. and if he has 37" arms then he would have approx 94 CM arms..........hope that doesnt make it worse for you....bob

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Don?t make an storm in a glass of water, when we go to store to buy we only ask about sizes S, M, L, XL.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He should know what size shirt he wears...of course he might mot be able to read those letters: S M L XL.....:9

Any ruler now has metric. Find out what it is in inches or just take a tape measure to a store and look for a shirt with 60 centimeters across the shoulders between the arm seams...

But why bother? His girl in London just sent him one from her shirtmakers...

HB :sourpuss:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just Buy Him An "XXL" NFL Jersey.They LOVE those Here!

The "Baggier" the better.Most Dominican men don't need,want,or own, a "Dress Shirt"! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
BluKris said:
I've asked my bf what measurement those were(cm, mm,) and he replies "you know the ones that tailors use,so i give up and surrender to the forum.
Some taste in men you have. Whats the matter, you couldn't find an uneducated loser back home to buy stuff for?
AZB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Criss Colon said:
The "Baggier" the better.Most Dominican men don't need,want,or own, a "Dress Shirt"! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
But the fairytale includes him being properly attired for the wedding.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
BluKris said:
I need some help.I 'm trying to buy my bf a dress shirt here in the states and asked him to get measurements by a tailor in DR.
Problem:
I don't know what metric system is used there.I have 60-shoulders, 65-waist, 70-arms.

thanks in advance

If he's a very thin guy then it's cm 60= 23 & 1/2 inches/ 65=25 & 1/2 inches

arm 70 =27 & 1/2 inches and if that is the inside seam he has very long arms. So even though he's thin you would still need to get a large of xlarge for the length of the arms.

Ask him for his neck size as shirts are sold by neck size.

Maybe this will help

http://www.metrication.com/

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
If he's a very thin guy then it's cm 60= 23 & 1/2 inches/ 65=25 & 1/2 inches

arm 70 =27 & 1/2 inches and if that is the inside seam he has very long arms. So even though he's thin you would still need to get a large of xlarge for the length of the arms.

Ask him for his neck size as shirts are sold by neck size.

Maybe this will help

http://www.metrication.com/

hello anne, I am going to beg to differ here....I buy dress shirts and they are labeled neck dia and arm length...mine are 18-37....I am only 6'3". Tall, but not really tall so I really dont see how anyone could be tall and thin with 27" arms... plus i beleive those measurements were hers... and make sense as such..... the measure of the arm for dress shirts is where the top pf the shoulder meets the run of the arm, usually there is a seam there and they run the measure down to the cuff, on the outside of the arm ........hope that helps.....I think a tailor would measure for a shirt based on the neck and arm length for sure, maybe the shirt tail length as well, but she isnt looking for a tailored shirts anyway. Maybe he has always bought his shirts from a tailor and as such only knows those sizes...who knows....have a nice day...bob

Sep 19, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
I do it on purpose you know. Makes you guys answer properly. :laugh:

so would it be safe to say you are "stimulating" the guys here?

:nervous: :nervous: ha ha ha.......bob

BluKris

May 19, 2005
AZB said:
Some taste in men you have. Whats the matter, you couldn't find an uneducated loser back home to buy stuff for?
AZB

THAT WAS HIGHLY UNCALLED FOR.YOU HAVE SOME ISSUES.TRY NOT BEING SUCH A D!@%.

BluKris

May 19, 2005
Thanks everyone for your input. Some where a little confusing, some where just ignorant and some really cleared things up.

I've never seen a dress shirt sold s, m, l, xl....
My bf is 6'6" and weights 215(he plays basketball).And for inquiring minds it's just since i can't accompany him to his Christmas party I wanted to have something from me to wear(so it's like i'm still part of the evening).
I have neck size 17"in, but i'm still a bit lost with the arm length.
Any more suggestions are still appreciated.

Sep 19, 2005
BUY nothing less than the 37" ers. I havent seen them longer on the shelves, but hey you may get lucky at a big and tall shop, or dept. defeinatly go with a TALL as well if they offer it, that way the shirt will still stay tucked in!.........good luck...bob

BluKris

May 19, 2005
I Knew I Could Count On You Guys!

Ricardo900 said:
It's obvious that many posters on DR1 don't wear a shirt & tie to work, just kidding.

Blu, here's a link you can use.
http://www.symsdress.com/menstips.htm

I'd like to thank everyone again for all their info.I feel i have enough info to get a great shirt.I wish we could post pictures so i could share how it turns out.