The people do want education

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I got this on Dominican Today.com...it flies in the face of what most of us usually say. Dominicans do want education reform. Read the list...it is amazing that after reading the question 7.5% still said "sports".

Scandall

Santo Domingo.- Dominicans are clear their priorities where the government should allocate funds: health (55%); education (47.5%); and assistance to the poor (41.8%), according to findings of the latest Gallup-HOY survey.

The question posed to interviewees was: ?If you were President and had to invest economic resources in the following areas, but available money is insufficient, point to the three most preferred sectors to be covered by whatever scant funds there may be.? Eleven options were presented, yet interviewees added a 12th.

The responses were as follows:

Health: 54.8% Education: 47.5% Assistance for the poorest: 41.8% Create more jobs: 32.8% Energy supply: 28.7% Tap water supply: 21.9% Housing projects: 15.3% Highways and farming access roads: 15.1% Rural sector: 12.5% Public universities: 8.9% Sports: 7.5%

Across all social groups, people have the health issue as number one priority, while assisting the poor is third.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I'm actually pleasantly surprised and impressed by this number. Considering the Dominican psyche, as well as poverty being rampant in the DR, it's great to know that many are thinking Education will be the escape from the vicious cycle they are in.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The choices were in allocating government surplus funds. If given a free choice I believe they would choose a reduction in taxes, particularly on alcohol and tobacco.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Scandall the figures you quoted only reinforce my thoughts. I have always thought the Dominicans were interested in education and due in fact want more of same as does the president of this country. As I see it, the problem lies in the fact that the president can only do so much with the limited powers he has at his disposal. Throwing more money at the problem is no cure as all that does is fill the pockets of the corrupt even more with no end result on the education of the average Dominican. The average Dominican thinks there is nothing he can do so therefore he waits for the government to implement the changes that must take place which places the problem of education in the DR in the 'perpetual circle' that I have referred to in other posts.

The major flaws with the quoted survey, as I see it, are the words "If you were president" and "economic resources". This gives the impression that only the president can implement change and those changes can only be done with money of which both are a falsehood. It should be apparent to the average person that with a democratic society the president does not have the power to dictate that which must be done. It must also be apparent that more money doesn't alleviate the problem either.

I would love to see a worthwhile survey that would ask the questions such as what needs to be done withinin the present system to bring about a change to the better. With answers to that question the people would possible get an idea as to which dirrection they need to proceed.

I will say it again, the people need to get involved and demand that the proper things get done, Which brings up the question as to what are the proper things that need to be done? Different people have different ideas and then again some of those ideas are the same. There needs to be an "organized " association, group, team or what ever you wish to call them, to put their collective heads together and formulate their ideas into a plan of action and then follow through with that plan. If you need to petition the president, camara de diputados, secretary of education, or whomever then do it. If you need to use the media then search out those people associated with education within each media medium and present your ideas to them so that they may broadcast your ideas and/or demands to the public. If you need to hold demonstrations then do that. Or maybe a combination of all the above. This is where the minds of a group or groups come into play with the formulation of plans of what needs to be done and actions to achieve your goals. Organization is the key word here but before that there must be desire!

Rick

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Rick Snyder said:
Scandall the figures you quoted only reinforce my thoughts. I have always thought the Dominicans were interested in education and due in fact want more of same as does the president of this country. As I see it, the problem lies in the fact that the president can only do so much with the limited powers he has at his disposal. Throwing more money at the problem is no cure as all that does is fill the pockets of the corrupt even more with no end result on the education of the average Dominican. The average Dominican thinks there is nothing he can do so therefore he waits for the government to implement the changes that must take place which places the problem of education in the DR in the 'perpetual circle' that I have referred to in other posts.

The major flaws with the quoted survey, as I see it, are the words "If you were president" and "economic resources". This gives the impression that only the president can implement change and those changes can only be done with money of which both are a falsehood. It should be apparent to the average person that with a democratic society the president does not have the power to dictate that which must be done. It must also be apparent that more money doesn't alleviate the problem either.

I would love to see a worthwhile survey that would ask the questions such as what needs to be done withinin the present system to bring about a change to the better. With answers to that question the people would possible get an idea as to which dirrection they need to proceed.

I will say it again, the people need to get involved and demand that the proper things get done, Which brings up the question as to what are the proper things that need to be done? Different people have different ideas and then again some of those ideas are the same. There needs to be an "organized " association, group, team or what ever you wish to call them, to put their collective heads together and formulate their ideas into a plan of action and then follow through with that plan. If you need to petition the president, camara de diputados, secretary of education, or whomever then do it. If you need to use the media then search out those people associated with education within each media medium and present your ideas to them so that they may broadcast your ideas and/or demands to the public. If you need to hold demonstrations then do that. Or maybe a combination of all the above. This is where the minds of a group or groups come into play with the formulation of plans of what needs to be done and actions to achieve your goals. Organization is the key word here but before that there must be desire!

Rick

I agree. But I would also be willing to bet that the 7% that said "Sports" are more vociferous than those who want more education. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Scandall
"Let my people think"

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rick Snyder said:
As I see it, the problem lies in the fact that the president can only do so much with the limited powers he has at his disposal. Throwing more money at the problem is no cure as all that does is fill the pockets of the corrupt even more with no end result on the education of the average Dominican.
Rick
The words of wisdom and truth is a wonderful thing!

And Rick, it's not the way you see it, it's the way it is!

-NAL

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Okay, listen, the following is what I know, have and would like to do so please bear with me and hear me out.

1. I know, as do many others, that the DR education system is messed up.

2. I and many others would like it to be better.

3. Here in El Seybo I have a Dominican friend that is a news broadcaster for one of the radio stations here, has an hour long TV program on week nights called "Buscando Solucions" and is intelligent. He is a college grad of the DR, was born and raised poor and at present he isn't rich but he isn't poor as he was when growing up. This a man with a good head on his sholders and I think he would be a good asset to the DR in whatever capacity. He can operate a computer but he doesn't have one of his own and therefore I allow him to use mine. He speaks almost no English.

If there are any Dominicans out there that would like to get a grassroots effort going on doing something about the education system in the DR then I wish you would please contact my friend. If he were to see that there is a country wide interest in doing something rather then just complain then the possibility of his partaking with his knowledge and contacts, I think, would be beneficial and would help in organizing interested people. My problem is that I need other Dominicans talking to him rather then him hearing an American say the same things a lot of you Dominicans on this board say.

So how about it? Are there any Dominicans out there that are interested in seeing if you can figure out the problems that are within the educational system and are you interested in seeing if you can change things? If anyone thinks they would be interested in talking to my friend Alfredo (Blacky) then please PM or email me and I will send you his email address.

Rick

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rick Snyder, what would your "grass roots effort" actually do, besides promote rallies and hold meetings?

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
It wouldn't be "my" grass roots effort it would be your, the Dominican people, effort to bring about change within a system that hasn't changed except for the worst. As far as to what it would do would be up to you and the collective minds that would participate. With organization a group can determine what would help a particular area and strive to achieve that goal.

When you read that 90% of your children fail to complete high school you should be asking yourself why these numbers are so high. You can't say it's because of the president because these percentages were the same when Hippo was in office. These high numbers don't just happen when the students reach the last grade in their studies but are occurring in all the grades starting from the first. As an American, (outsider), in this country I have seen, due to having a son in the public school system here, that which is taught and how it is taught in the first, second and third grades.

It is my determination that the curriculum (what, when and how it's taught), within the public education system is in a shambles. After talking with my other half and a number of other, older Dominicans it appears that the curriculum has changed over the years. Also, I have seen a lot of the different school books out there and have studied them, for the 1st 2nd and 3rd grade, and the ones I consider to be exceptional books are not used in the system. This list could go on and on. The question I ask myself is if this poor educational planning and implementing is happening in the first three grades then what is the possibility that it is happening all the way up the chain? Does this lack of teaching some of the basics and omission of teaching certain things have any correlation with the high drop out rate? Are my observation just a figment of my imagination or would Dominicans come to the same conclusions as myself if these aspects of the system were studied?

When I approach the director and teachers of my sons school and the office of the secretary of education they are ALL in agreement that the system is lacking and has problems but nobody seems to want to attempt to correct those problems. When I, the outsider, make a suggestion I am very quickly given that "we don't need any help from you foreigners" attitude and it is this that makes me so very mad.

Would this reception to change be different if it were coming from a Dominican or an organized group of Dominicans? You tell me. While you are contemplating that question also tell me if you think there should be changes made in the school system. If changes should be made then what are those changes that should be made, as you see it? Do you care!!!!!

If you do care about the situation, have some ideas on what needs changing or how to change things to the better then you can put it on this board and we, as Dominicans and foreigners, can hash it around back and forth with nothing getting accompolished and everyone forgetting about it at supper time. OR, Dominicans talking with Dominicans, with help from foreigners if you want, can organize and discuss this intelligently and maybe come up with SOME ideas as to how to make the system better and then use the resources available to you to try to bring those needed changes about. Think about it.

Rick

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rick, good post. As a Dominican that has now lived in the USA for many,many years....I can tell you that I have no hope that Dominicans living in the DR can solve their problems. Everyone is entangled in the narcotic web of corruption.

Any plan that involves any politician is not a solution. The government cannot and will not be part of the solution....this must be painfully clear to everyone. That is why I continually regurgitate my aversion to a ballooning government budget and significantly higher taxes.

But this falls on deaf ears beacause most people.......... rich or poor.....edcucated or ignorant....class or no class....everyone down in the DR is on the take.

The bottom line is you just can't trust anyone...and that is sad.

MY SOLUTION: my own funding (modest trust to begin with) to edcucate the young folks without the intervention of the DR politicians. This will initially begin by helping Dominicans in the USA, who would hopefully bring back education and resources back to the island. It's in the formative stages, but that is how I hope to effect change.