Are people living in USA are really better off than us here?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, first of all, i want to make this clear, this thread is not about bashing USA. So please read the message and don't twist my words. Contrary to what many believe, I love USA and its my home.

Ok, lately I have been making free calls to USA using the free calling program that I have on the internet. It doesn't cost me a penny to call usa so I have spent many hours chatting with my friends whom I didn't call in many years.
This is what I have learnt about many people's lives in USA.
Most of my friends are making good money yet they all claim to be simply "making ends meet".
the classic example of a friend of mine who is a chiropractor in san francisco. He makes very good money if you look at the numbers alone and he sees far more patients that I see in santiago. His fees are not cheap either. Now when he broke down his expenses, I was left with my mouth open. he pays 2 thousand dollars rent for living in a small house, he pays high taxes and has huge expenses at his clinic. After paying light bills (both house and work), water bill, rents, phone lines and car expenses, he is left with nothing at the end of the month. He is dying to come and visit me, but he never seems to get time off or has money to spend on vacations. On top of all that he lives and supports a live-in girlfriend, 50 yrs old. he is only 42. yes folks, his girlfriend is 50 yrs old. he is one of the guys who has been brainwashed by the women liberation into thinking, age is only a number and love is blind. For god sake, she will be 60 in 10 yrs. he is a tall, intellectual type average good looking fellow. Whats the hell is he doing with a 50 yrs old woman? I am left with my head shaking.

the other friend of mine has to hold 2 jobs (always working), his wife has a full time job and they both leave home when its dark and come home when its dark. They are also just making it. Another friend of mine is 42 yrs old and still lives with his parents. Turns out, many single guys still live with their parents even well into their 30's.
One friend has 1 month of vacation from his airline job yet he chose to drive a limo to make quick extra cash to pay off some credit card debts. He flies for free all over the world yet the last time he came here was 3 yrs ago. Mind you, he is dying to come back.
last night my friend took out his girlfriend to dinner and ended up spending 150 dollars on some susi and drinks. he had to eat again after the date because the food portion was scarce and he left hungry.

My friend in cleveland, ohio has to even work on sundays to catch up with the paper work in his business. he too has huge expenses and never has time to take a vacation.
The examples can go on and on and it seems the life is getting tougher for many in USA. My uncle is retired and owns his own home in queens yet he still depends on salaries from his kids. He is renting his basement to make some extra income. Seems like all the people who own houses in NY have to rent one part of the house to generate some extra cash.

It seems people are working more and more yet life is becoming tougher and tougher every day. Now there are some really well off folks but they seem to be becoming fewer and fewer. Wealth seems to be going towards a very fewer selected folks. If this trend keeps up, I am afraid that by the time many folks turn 65 and retired, they will be either dead or broke.

Now in DR, we make 10 times less yet it seems we all have time and money to live a comfortable life. I travel more to USA and around the world than many folks come here from there. Ok, I don't pay as much as many folks for airline ticket but don't forget, when I travel, I spend money in dollars (money that has been converted from pesos) and while I am there, my clinic is closed here. I loose money everyday that I am away, yet when I come back, I have to pay all the expenses waiting for me at the end of the month. Domincians seems to be enjoying life more than their counterparts in the great up north. I will go out tonight and I will see plenty of folks drinking dancing and laughing the night away. Many end up in motels with a 23 yrs old santiaguera, as opposed to a 50 plus yrs old granny.
I was actually thinking of moving back to USA in some time in the future, but now I have other thoughts. I guess I have become so lazy living here that I will never be able to get used to working like a machine.
AZB

HDCarl

Aug 3, 2002
You make many good points, and it is something I have given some thought to as well. I have been to the Dominican Republic three times and the Phillippines once. They are both countrys where most of the people are "poor". One thing that I observed is that the "poor" people there seemed generaly happier and a lot less stressed than the "well off" people in the US.

A guy in the Phillippines told me he thought that we had it all wrong, too much emphasis on making money and accumulating things, while he was happy to just have his family and a beer to enjoy out on his front porch with his friends. I sure can't say he was wrong.

HDCarl

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't give up my citizenship, but have no desire to live in the US. Foir one thing, my wife and I live much better here on our limited income than we would be able to in the US.

An even bigger reason is that I feel old in the US. People look old, walk old, talk old, etc. Here age is not a consideration for much of anything, and you are accepted for what sort of person you are and what you can do.

An occasional visit to see family members is enough of the US for me.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I quite much agree with the general feeling of the 1st post... What is true for the US is also true for Europe.
Now I wish to emphatize that those of us who have the best life are the "expats"... We had the education and culture of the western world, and now we can take it easy under the coconut tree...
At the bottom of the pyramid, most folks in the barrios are dreaming of "Nueba Yol", and don´t give a damn about sweet island life...
But those of us who grew up in major western cities, studied in good schools and read Jack Kerouac are now really happy to hang out around the Monument with a cold Brahma while planning to seduce one of those most beautifull ladies ever seen...
just my 2 centavos...

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Same old Same old...

AZB said:
Ok, first of all, i want to make this clear, this thread is not about bashing USA. So please read the message and don't twist my words. Contrary to what many believe, I love USA and its my home.

Ok, lately I have been making free calls to USA using the free calling program that I have on the internet. It doesn't cost me a penny to call usa so I have spent many hours chatting with my friends whom I didn't call in many years.
This is what I have learnt about many people's lives in USA.
Most of my friends are making good money yet they all claim to be simply "making ends meet".
the classic example of a friend of mine who is a chiropractor in san francisco. He makes very good money if you look at the numbers alone and he sees far more patients that I see in santiago. His fees are not cheap either. Now when he broke down his expenses, I was left with my mouth open. he pays 2 thousand dollars rent for living in a small house, he pays high taxes and has huge expenses at his clinic. After paying light bills (both house and work), water bill, rents, phone lines and car expenses, he is left with nothing at the end of the month. He is dying to come and visit me, but he never seems to get time off or has money to spend on vacations. On top of all that he lives and supports a live-in girlfriend, 50 yrs old. he is only 42. yes folks, his girlfriend is 50 yrs old. he is one of the guys who has been brainwashed by the women liberation into thinking, age is only a number and love is blind. For god sake, she will be 60 in 10 yrs. he is a tall, intellectual type average good looking fellow. Whats the hell is he doing with a 50 yrs old woman? I am left with my head shaking.

the other friend of mine has to hold 2 jobs (always working), his wife has a full time job and they both leave home when its dark and come home when its dark. They are also just making it. Another friend of mine is 42 yrs old and still lives with his parents. Turns out, many single guys still live with their parents even well into their 30's.
One friend has 1 month of vacation from his airline job yet he chose to drive a limo to make quick extra cash to pay off some credit card debts. He flies for free all over the world yet the last time he came here was 3 yrs ago. Mind you, he is dying to come back.
last night my friend took out his girlfriend to dinner and ended up spending 150 dollars on some susi and drinks. he had to eat again after the date because the food portion was scarce and he left hungry.

My friend in cleveland, ohio has to even work on sundays to catch up with the paper work in his business. he too has huge expenses and never has time to take a vacation.
The examples can go on and on and it seems the life is getting tougher for many in USA. My uncle is retired and owns his own home in queens yet he still depends on salaries from his kids. He is renting his basement to make some extra income. Seems like all the people who own houses in NY have to rent one part of the house to generate some extra cash.

It seems people are working more and more yet life is becoming tougher and tougher every day. Now there are some really well off folks but they seem to be becoming fewer and fewer. Wealth seems to be going towards a very fewer selected folks. If this trend keeps up, I am afraid that by the time many folks turn 65 and retired, they will be either dead or broke.

Now in DR, we make 10 times less yet it seems we all have time and money to live a comfortable life. I travel more to USA and around the world than many folks come here from there. Ok, I don't pay as much as many folks for airline ticket but don't forget, when I travel, I spend money in dollars (money that has been converted from pesos) and while I am there, my clinic is closed here. I loose money everyday that I am away, yet when I come back, I have to pay all the expenses waiting for me at the end of the month. Domincians seems to be enjoying life more than their counterparts in the great up north. I will go out tonight and I will see plenty of folks drinking dancing and laughing the night away. Many end up in motels with a 23 yrs old santiaguera, as opposed to a 50 plus yrs old granny.
I was actually thinking of moving back to USA in some time in the future, but now I have other thoughts. I guess I have become so lazy living here that I will never be able to get used to working like a machine.
AZB

The poster's opinions seem to always focus on a one-sided view of The Travelling Salesman a novel that showed this hurried life of working to survive and having no other life. Yes, it is true that the work ethic in the US is demanding and that many people reply on 2 or even 3 jobs and income to meet their expenses. But-this is only one viewpoint of AZB postings and he (and some others) never seem to post the OTHER side of the picture. Successful business people enjoying their work, highest quality of life imaginable in the world, comfort, safety and I can go on and on..

The picture the OP paints is accurate for only a percentage of the population (no I dont know the percenatge) but a distorted picture of life in the USA.For example, I returned late Friday night from the DR. Yesterday mornig, Saturday, I went to my office at 8AM to catch up on my work. So..., because I went to work on a Sat. do I now have the the imprint of the mold that AZB has cast. No-I enjoy my work, I make money, I can have both worlds, enjoy the comforts of NYC and travel to the DR every 5 or 6 weeks.
Unusual? No. I am a VERY small fish compared to the life styes of millions of people that work hard (because they WANT to ) and enjoy the riches of our economy.
Who really cares if you make 10x less then your counterpart in the US? You choose to live the life style you have . Others have taken alternatives but working hard is not always bad for the heart or the mind, infact its highly recommended by the medical profession :}
The very fact that you question weather or not you should return to the US indicates to me that you are questioning "Dominicans seem to be enjoying life more than our friends up North" In my opinion,that is only worthone centavo, I dont think so.
BTW--I also live in Queens so the next time you pass through please contact me and come and visit my home.

JOHN

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It seems to me that the only posters that take exception to AZB?s view of life in the U.S. live in the U.S. Anyone that lives here full time pretty much agrees with him, myself included.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
AZB, you are so right. Life in the US is such a rat race. We have let ourselves buy into the Madison Ave. hype. We are exposed to so much advertising we spend our money on needless things and can not resist the urge to spend more than we make. Credit card debt is at an all time high while savings are at an all time low. We are a nation of consumers. Consumers of things that are worthless.

We have been led to believe that if we do not have the latest i-pod, drive an SUV, ware designer clothing, eat at fast food restaurants, have cosmetic surgery, take all types of medications, and live in a 4br. $250,000 home, we are some how not part of the Great Society. Status is everything in America, and the signs of status are expensive.

We are exposed to more retail outlets per sq. mile than any other nation in the world, and we feel that we need to spend money at each of them.

As I set here and look around my home I see hundreds of items that I own that I really do not need. My closets are packed with shirts, pants, jackets and ties that I will never have on my body again. I have collectables that will bring a fraction of the original cost should I decide to liquidate them. I waste more food than I consume. Artwork adorns my walls simply because I thought that I needed it to show off my good taste. I own 2 cars, yet can only drive one at a time. Where did I go wrong? Who knows? I just bought into the American hype.

The big question is, was the cost worth the possessions? In most cases no. Long hours working, the quest for more and more money, was just not worth the final outcome. Stress, a deteriorating family life, divorce, estrangement, inflated ego, and loss of values took their toll.

Still I am not sure that I would want to live anywhere other that the U.S. 24/7 lights, anything that I truly need available 24/7 within minutes of my home, changing seasons, cities with infrastructures, first class medical and dental facilities, and so on.

The big difference for me is, that in the DR I can relax and enjoy life.

Oh, did I mention that I also like the sexy chicas in the DR who could care less if I am more than 3 times their age.

Chuckuindy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
and??

SKY said:
It seems to me that the only posters that take exception to AZB?s view of life in the U.S. live in the U.S. Anyone that lives here full time pretty much agrees with him, myself included.

who is in a better postion to take exception to his viewpoint than those that oppose it? Somehow I am missing your point that you as an observer sitting in a third world country with AZB might disagree with an opposing viewpoint.
Please clarify.

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Judging from the pictures I have

chuckuindy said:
AZB, you are so right. Life in the US is such a rat race. We have let ourselves buy into the Madison Ave. hype. We are exposed to so much advertising we spend our money on needless things and can not resist the urge to spend more than we make. Credit card debt is at an all time high while savings are at an all time low. We are a nation of consumers. Consumers of things that are worthless.

We have been led to believe that if we do not have the latest i-pod, drive an SUV, ware designer clothing, eat at fast food restaurants, have cosmetic surgery, take all types of medications, and live in a 4br. $250,000 home, we are some how not part of the Great Society. Status is everything in America, and the signs of status are expensive.

We are exposed to more retail outlets per sq. mile than any other nation in the world, and we feel that we need to spend money at each of them.

As I set here and look around my home I see hundreds of items that I own that I really do not need. My closets are packed with shirts, pants, jackets and ties that I will never have on my body again. I have collectables that will bring a fraction of the original cost should I decide to liquidate them. I waste more food than I consume. Artwork adorns my walls simply because I thought that I needed it to show off my good taste. I own 2 cars, yet can only drive one at a time. Where did I go wrong? Who knows? I just bought into the American hype.

The big question is, was the cost worth the possessions? In most cases no. Long hours working, the quest for more and more money, was just not worth the final outcome. Stress, a deteriorating family life, divorce, estrangement, inflated ego, and loss of values took their toll.

Still I am not sure that I would want to live anywhere other that the U.S. 24/7 lights, anything that I truly need available 24/7 within minutes of my home, changing seasons, cities with infrastructures, first class medical and dental facilities, and so on.

The big difference for me is, that in the DR I can relax and enjoy life.

Oh, did I mention that I also like the sexy chicas in the DR who could care less if I am more than 3 times their age.

Chuckuindy

seen in the media gallery you dont" seem to waste all the food than you can consume" LOL and all kidding aside, why lump an entire nation in one pod? Not everybody gets caught up in media hype. Not everyone is involved in a rat race. YOU got caught up. YOU bought all the s*&^ you didnt need. YOU eat fast food. (not good for you try eating slow food) YOU take all kinds of medications. Why? Probably because your doctor ordered them for you and you need them. YOU have an inflated ego-not ALL Americans need an interpeter and need to interview 20-25 young girls in the DR to satisfy their ego. YOU do judging from your previous posts. Having money? YOU offered to make the life of someone in the DR secure through your money and largess. Not ALL Americans do.
Stress, divorce,--YOUR problems and universal not a issue regarding whether you live in US or DR. Right?Loss of value. Same issue. Right? YOUR problem??

In summary--I dont think you have supported AZB's issues at all.

JOHN

BTW-what works of art did you buy maybe when you trash them I would be interested. Always interested in trying to enhance my image around the house. Hey, and your second car-selling for a good price? I'll just have to put more time in at the office to afford these purchases. Oh well, off to work we go, off to work we go...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
johne said:
The poster's opinions seem to always focus on a one-sided view of The Travelling Salesman a novel that showed this hurried life of working to survive and having no other life. Yes, it is true that the work ethic in the US is demanding and that many people reply on 2 or even 3 jobs and income to meet their expenses. But-this is only one viewpoint of AZB postings and he (and some others) never seem to post the OTHER side of the picture. Successful business people enjoying their work, highest quality of life imaginable in the world, comfort, safety and I can go on and on..

The picture the OP paints is accurate for only a percentage of the population (no I dont know the percenatge) but a distorted picture of life in the USA.For example, I returned late Friday night from the DR. Yesterday mornig, Saturday, I went to my office at 8AM to catch up on my work. So..., because I went to work on a Sat. do I now have the the imprint of the mold that AZB has cast. No-I enjoy my work, I make money, I can have both worlds, enjoy the comforts of NYC and travel to the DR every 5 or 6 weeks.
Unusual? No. I am a VERY small fish compared to the life styes of millions of people that work hard (because they WANT to ) and enjoy the riches of our economy.
Who really cares if you make 10x less then your counterpart in the US? You choose to live the life style you have . Others have taken alternatives but working hard is not always bad for the heart or the mind, infact its highly recommended by the medical profession :}
The very fact that you question weather or not you should return to the US indicates to me that you are questioning "Dominicans seem to be enjoying life more than our friends up North" In my opinion,that is only worthone centavo, I dont think so.
BTW--I also live in Queens so the next time you pass through please contact me and come and visit my home.

JOHN
John, I know you are a millionire and own 50 apartments in NYC. I am sure you live in a palace but please tell me, what is the percentage of people who are successful like you? I don't think many folks on DR1 or anywhere know people like yourself (owning 50 apartments in NYC). You are a tiny percentage and you can live like a royalty anywhere. I am certain you don't speak for the majority who is struggling in USA just to make ends meet. No one holds 2-3 jobs for fun. They have to do it because it is necessary to make ends meet.
Yes, yes, I also met some indian IT business owners who own buildings in NY and employ 200 people and make millions. I know some Mds in atlanta who own huge clinics and make millions. I am also sure the same people like them and like yourself don't know any people who work 2-3 jobs and struggling to pay bills. Maybe you folks live on a different planet but what I see in USa is a very accurate picture for many (large percentage). maybe if you leave your palace and get to kknow the real labor force in NYC then you will see why so many people are living on credit card and seem to be only 2 paychecks away from disaster.
About myself, Yes I do make 10 times less than majority of americans but I live much better than many. I have no stress, I have my toys that I enjoy and I travel more them many, not just to USA but to far away counties. I will be in mexico this month (leon GTO and Tepozotlan). I don't think I am the one who is complaining here.
Have a good day.
AZB

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
johne said:
who is in a better postion to take exception to his viewpoint than those that oppose it? Somehow I am missing your point that you as an observer sitting in a third world country with AZB might disagree with an opposing viewpoint.
Please clarify.

I am not an observer. I have lived for many years in both places, have you?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
And the answer is----- They both have their plusses and minuses. I have a great life in NY, and a great life in Sosua. It's snowing today, but I'm not worried about having luz to watch the Giants Cowboys game. I'm 61 and I enjoy my work, if I retire I'll probably get old fast and have a whole new set of problems. My Manhattan coop costs me a bundle, but I'm building a beautiful house in Sosua with the equity from that apartment. I enjoy the contrast between the 2 countries and can appreciate the good qualities of both. Happiness is within, folks. - D

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Amen

Danny W said:
And the answer is----- They both have their plusses and minuses. I have a great life in NY, and a great life in Sosua. It's snowing today, but I'm not worried about having luz to watch the Giants Cowboys game. I'm 61 and I enjoy my work, if I retire I'll probably get old fast and have a whole new set of problems. My Manhattan coop costs me a bundle, but I'm building a beautiful house in Sosua with the equity from that apartment. I enjoy the contrast between the 2 countries and can appreciate the good qualities of both. Happiness is within, folks. - D

and in order to find that happiness one needs to find the balance and the mix that is best for him.

JOHN

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Thank you John

Well, well, John, thanks for casting your moral judgment on me. I am certainly glad that he who is with out sin threw the first stone.

Each of us have our own paths in life to follow, and sometimes we take the wrong road, according to society. In the US we have the freedom to retrace our steps regardless of how many wrong paths we take. This is not always the case in countries such as the DR. We are so blessed with all of the opportunities we have here.

The way I represent myself in the Media Gallery and in my posts is the real me. I never asked you are anyone else to accept who I am or what I do.

You truly reap what you sow in life and at this sage in my life the harvest is bountiful. (According to me.) Sure I am old and fat and have some bucks that I can spend anyway that I like, and yes I take advantage of others, just like everyone else in this world does. However I never, repeat never take more than I am willing to give in return.

Yes John, all of the problems I have had in life I created for myself, and being less than perfect I will continue to make mistakes.

When our lives are over I hope that your obituary will be as glowing as mine.

PS Unless you like US Western art my collection of James Earle Fraser, and Frederic Remington?s would not impress you.

Chuckuindy

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
To clarify

AZB said:
John, I know you are a millionire and own 50 apartments in NYC. I am sure you live in a palace but please tell me, what is the percentage of people who are successful like you? I don't think many folks on DR1 or anywhere know people like yourself (owning 50 apartments in NYC). You are a tiny percentage and you can live like a royalty anywhere. I am certain you don't speak for the majority who is struggling in USA just to make ends meet. No one holds 2-3 jobs for fun. They have to do it because it is necessary to make ends meet.
Yes, yes, I also met some indian IT business owners who own buildings in NY and employ 200 people and make millions. I know some Mds in atlanta who own huge clinics and make millions. I am also sure the same people like them and like yourself don't know any people who work 2-3 jobs and struggling to pay bills. Maybe you folks live on a different planet but what I see in USa is a very accurate picture for many (large percentage). maybe if you leave your palace and get to kknow the real labor force in NYC then you will see why so many people are living on credit card and seem to be only 2 paychecks away from disaster.
About myself, Yes I do make 10 times less than majority of americans but I live much better than many. I have no stress, I have my toys that I enjoy and I travel more them many, not just to USA but to far away counties. I will be in mexico this month (leon GTO and Tepozotlan). I don't think I am the one who is complaining here.
Have a good day.
AZB

AZB--yes it is true that I have been blessed through hard work and a great deal of timing luck.I own those apartments in the Brooklyn/ Queens area but I also own a a good deal of real estate in East Orange New Jersey which is an urban area where perhaps 50% of all my tenants receive social assistance from the City of East Orange. This type of ownership certainly has given me an education in living from hand to month on a day to day basis. A month doesnt go by where I dont have a tenant that skips during the night because they cant pay the rent, so I am very aware of the "other way people live".
On the other hand these people ALSo do not represent the US. What about our middle class? All across America the majoi9ty do not live my lifestyle and certainly do not live like the tenants I have in New Jersey.This part of the population is hugh and represents the majority, not the way you see America or perhaps the way you think I see it.
Anyway, right now I need to go out and shovel snow. Its going to look strange because Im going out in my shorts to show off my tan I got last week in Juan Dolio. JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I never

chuckuindy said:
Well, well, John, thanks for casting your moral judgment on me. I am certainly glad that he who is with out sin threw the first stone.

Each of us have our own paths in life to follow, and sometimes we take the wrong road, according to society. In the US we have the freedom to retrace our steps regardless of how many wrong paths we take. This is not always the case in countries such as the DR. We are so blessed with all of the opportunities we have here.

The way I represent myself in the Media Gallery and in my posts is the real me. I never asked you are anyone else to accept who I am or what I do.

You truly reap what you sow in life and at this sage in my life the harvest is bountiful. (According to me.) Sure I am old and fat and have some bucks that I can spend anyway that I like, and yes I take advantage of others, just like everyone else in this world does. However I never, repeat never take more than I am willing to give in return.

Yes John, all of the problems I have had in life I created for myself, and being less than perfect I will continue to make mistakes.

When our lives are over I hope that your obituary will be as glowing as mine.

PS Unless you like US Western art my collection of James Earle Fraser, and Frederic Remington?s would not impress you.

Chuckuindy[/QUOTE
had a problem with your life style nor do I have a problem with the interviews. Maybe you should learn to speak Span. I am not throwing the first stone I am mearly reinforcing all of which YOU have stated in a public forum. Everything I wrote YOU said so get used to it.

Oh, and BTW I absolutly loath western art.. Thanks anyway. What about the car?? (only kidding Chuck)

JOHN

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Millionaire?

AZB said:
John, I know you are a millionire and own 50 apartments in NYC.
AZB

?johne ? 10/15/2003

I'm in NYC and would like to purchase ballet tickets for a friend of mine in Santo Domingo. The tixs would be for sometime end of Dec.-early Jan.

How would I go about this? how to find schedule? how to order and pay for?? all suggestions welcome--thanks in advance.?

Is this a post that a millionaire with 50 apartment buildings in NY write?

Chuckuindy

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Woops

I screwed up again. he was takning about tickets in SD, not in NYC. My mistake

Chuckuindy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What is the big issue of not having lights 24/7 in DR? the solution is so simple: just get a damn inverter with 8 batteries and your problem is solved. I never have a black out in my house (maybe onces in 2 yrs when the blackouts last 12 plus hrs). I really don't care about black outs as long as my computer and my TV stays on. My inverter is the best investment that I had made in this country.
You complain about water shortages? Big deal, solution: get a huge water tank on the roof and your problem is solved for life.
Gasoline is rationed? fill up the tank and you are set for a few days.
Every problem in DR has solutions and often times, the solution is simple and a life time fix.
We have advanced telecommunication systen. DSL was here way earlier than many US cities. We have major airports in every major city, major resorts and sun all year round. Some people think we live in a 3rd world country. You want to see a 3rd world country, try visiting Haiti, you don't even have to go to rwanda to see the real poverty. Its right next door to us.
Please do not give me this 24/7 lights lame excuse.
AZB