How do they keep Presidente so cold??

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
How do resturants serve Presidente with that thin layer of white ice on it? Do they keep it in a raised temperature freezer or switch on and off between freezer and thaw? I was just curious on how the keep it so cold, its just a degree away from freezing.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I was told that Presidente adds a proprietary antifreeze concoction to its brew, made up of ethylene glycol and/or acetone and/or ethyl alcohol and/or others, in order to lower the freezing point below 0ºC, and that way prevent the competitor's beer from using their freezers installed in all retail outlets. They can get away with this because there is no FDA here (for what it's worth, e.g., aspartame)

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
nlove88 said:
How do resturants serve Presidente with that thin layer of white ice on it? Do they keep it in a raised temperature freezer or switch on and off between freezer and thaw? I was just curious on how the keep it so cold, its just a degree away from freezing.

that all depends on the freezer and if there's electricity.

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
whoa

Mirador said:
I was told that Presidente adds a proprietary antifreeze concoction to its brew, made up of ethylene glycol and/or acetone and/or ethyl alcohol and/or others, in order to lower the freezing point below 0?C, and that way prevent the competitor's beer from using their freezers installed in all retail outlets. They can get away with this because there is no FDA here (for what it's worth, e.g., aspartame)
this is DISTURBING! :eek:

Freezing point is 0ºC, some items will not freeze at this temprature and even colder temps but you can never lower the freezing point.

The amount of alcohol will also determine at what temprature an item will freeze, I store my rum and scotch right in the freezer but it doesnt freeze, cold actually enhances its taste.

But a proprietary antifreeze concoction in the beer, I doubt this very much!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Mirador said:
I was told that Presidente adds a proprietary antifreeze concoction to its brew, made up of ethylene glycol and/or acetone and/or ethyl alcohol and/or others, in order to lower the freezing point below 0?C, and that way prevent the competitor's beer from using their freezers installed in all retail outlets. They can get away with this because there is no FDA here (for what it's worth, e.g., aspartame)

How do they get away with selling it in the United States?

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
nlove88 said:

Last week I got a Presidente at one of the street bars in Cabarete and when the waitress put it down it just oozed out ice slush all over the table.

No problem, she just bought me another one without me even having to ask.

It was at the German Bar in the middle of Cabarate on the opposite side from the beach. They have higher tables right beside the sidewalk. Can't remember its name. They have great Pizza's there as well.

Being a New Zealander weened on cold beer I am always happy with the great chilled beer that is almost 100% of the time served on the North Coast.

Not like in Europe thats for bloody sure.

Those first two quick ice cold Presidente's after getting off the plane are surely a great start to a visit aren't they.

While I was waiting for my luggage at POP the lights went out for about two minutes, lol. I just stood there smiling and thinking how nice it was to be back in the D.R. and how shortly I would be having my first cold Presidente'.

When I am in the D.R. the glass is always half full.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
POP Bad Boy said:
.............that it was frozen and is "just a degree" away from thawing.

The beer could not be frozen at any point or the carbonation would not happen, that's nasty. Also, the higher alchol%, the harder to freeze it becomes. I'm sure some people know this already but if you ever have a beer with no bubbles cause you've been nursing it to long, just add a pinch of salt to get'em back;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Hot air rises - just like the threads in this forum

Perhaps it's the coolers?

The vast majority of beer coolers you find the in DR are top loading. Hence - at least in theory - only the warmest of the cold air escapes, keeping the ice box very cold, all the time (again, assuming you have 'luz'). They may keep them just a tad below freezing and you get that icy film on the side.

The orgasmic slush is just an anxious beer that overeacts. That stuff happens on the rock.

Ontheside: I've seen Brugal in at least 2 San Francisco bars.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Cleef said:
Perhaps it's the coolers?

The vast majority of beer coolers you find the in DR are top loading.
Gee, what do you think is in all those one and two-door upright coolers with the Presidente logo on the side.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Cleef said:
....The orgasmic slush is just an anxious beer that overeacts. That stuff happens on the rock. .

In more than one bar and colmadon I've seen it done time and time again, and explained with the authority of a PhD, however, I'm still at a loss on the science of it: the bottle is turned bottoms up and spanked twice.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
An experienced Barmaid will stroke the bottom of the bottle and work her way towards the neck to prevent an overcooled Presidente from prematurely exiting the bottle upon opening.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
OK OK - Here's the secret.

But you must promise not to tell anyone. Dip the bottle in water just before placing them in the fridge. Forget all other speculation. That's the secret. PLEASE don't tell anyone.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
True

HOWMAR said:
Gee, what do you think is in all those one and two-door upright coolers with the Presidente logo on the side.
I wouldn't say these are the majority, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking more the colmado coolers. The one's you get from behind the counter are the one's that are glass icecubes.

If you'll notice too, the places that have the vertical doors never serve very cold Presidente's. Just my experience anyway.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
mmmm working the neck

Tamborista said:
An experienced Barmaid will stroke the bottom of the bottle and work her way towards the neck to prevent an overcooled Presidente from prematurely exiting the bottle upon opening.
I liked her too.