Moto Bike Rental - in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I have noticed a few Moto Bike rental places scattered about Sosua. Are there any hiddens fees to be concerned about when renting. Is theft insurance included? Any fine print to be aware of?

I am considering renting a moto for a few days as an inexpensive alternative to renting a car. I would venture no further than Cabarete or Puerto Plata during the daytime.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
bigbird said:
I have noticed a few Moto Bike rental places scattered about Sosua. Are there any hiddens fees to be concerned about when renting. Is theft insurance included? Any fine print to be aware of?

I am considering renting a moto for a few days as an inexpensive alternative to renting a car. I would venture no further than Cabarete or Puerto Plata during the daytime.
Take out all the insurance that is humanly possible!
Don't leave your passport with rental agent!
Lock up your bike everywhere you go!
Read the CONTRACT before you sign it!

pasala bien,
Ricardo

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As you are responsible for any damages to the bike, it wouldn't hurt to take pics with your digicam, if you have one, at the point of rental.
I know lots of people who leave their passports as a deposit, others leave a credit card chit, and by all means, do keep it locked and in view, if at all possible.
You can go to a hardware store and buy a padlock for a few bucks and always loop it through the rear sprocket when you park it.
This ensures you that anyone who has the key to the provided lock, cannot steal it, without lifting it into a truck.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
So far the replies are somewhat depressing. Maybe it is not a good idea after all.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
HOWMAR said:
For a few hundred pesos a day you can hire a "watchie" to ride shotgun.

LOL, with my kind of luck the "watchie" would turn out to be the "stealie".

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
For a few hundred a day, you are all set with a motoconchista complete with his own moto!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tamborista said:
For a few hundred a day, you are all set with a motoconchista complete with his own moto!

I assume a motoconchista would be a motoconcho and the owner/driver hired for the day. The only problem with this is I would like to have a chica tag along. I rode 3 on a concho once and it was an experience. Not bad with 3 for short distances around Sosua but I doubt I have enough nerve to take a ride to Cabarete with 3 on a concho.

I feel comfortable driving the moto as I used to ride a motorcycle in the states years ago. I just don't feel comfortable worrying about theft. None of the rental places offer theft insurance without a ridiculous deductible?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As you said, if there is theft insurance, the deductible is high.
The people in this forum are giving you all the warnings, as we assume that duty & obligation, but don't kid yourself, driving a bike in this country is a total blast and if you are careful, there's nothing that compares to it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Rocky said:
As you said, if there is theft insurance, the deductible is high.
The people in this forum are giving you all the warnings, as we assume that duty & obligation, but don't kid yourself, driving a bike in this country is a total blast and if you are careful, there's nothing that compares to it.

I appreciate all the advice I have received in this thread and many others. I know driving a bike in the DR would be a blast. Being able to pull over on the side of the road anytime you like and just admire the scenery would be awesome. I will be back in Sosua in January. I will probably rent one for the day and "keep it in sight" at all times.

Does the true same hold with car rentals? (Theft, insurance, etc.) I have no desire to rent a car simply because it lacks the thrill of the wind slapping you in the face and the pure rush of riding a bike.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bigbird said:
Does the true same hold with car rentals? (Theft, insurance, etc.) I have no desire to rent a car simply because it lacks the thrill of the wind slapping you in the face and the pure rush of riding a bike.
If you go to one of the local cut-rate rentals, you probably can get one with a broken out windshield.;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
HOWMAR said:
If you go to one of the local cut-rate rentals, you probably can get one with a broken out windshield.;)

You guys are just too funny..............:surprised ;) :bandit: :cross-eye :classic:

Status
Not open for further replies.