Flying to STI from UK via JFK...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I am told by the AA that all passngers flying from UK need to collect their checked in luggage and take them through customs (even if just passing through) and then hand them in again to AA desk at JFK ! Not sure why but some timewasting restrictions of some sort....!? Now the questions I have:

1- Does this means I must also go through immigration or is it all done in the transit hall ? (Immigration lines are long and I would want to avoid them - even with UK passport)

2- Do I have to queue again at AA check-in desk at JFK ?

FYI AA said no need for this on the way back though ! (same route)

3- One other question, are there any ATM machines at JFK transit hall (or are they all outside)

Thanks,

A

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
1 (Transit Hall?) You clear INS first, then go to the luggage, collect it , go through customs and immediately hand them over to transit baggage (not a check in desk but a belt set up just for this right after you clear customs).

Then back through TSA security....on it goes. Everyone arriving in any US airport can in theory leave the airport and enter the US so everyone has to qualify for entry. Hence INS and Customs

2, No with a boarding pass issued at LHR just go on to the gates.

3. I am sure there are ATM machines in the airport, as there is no transit hall you are going through.

Note connecting ITI in Miami might be better as they have a facility where one US Gov't person does both INS and Customs, your bags are checked through to the international destination and they have a private TSA station for the connecting passengers so you never enter the insecure terminal area at all. I am surprised on your ITI connection the bags are not all the way to STI. From anywhere international, to Canada (I fly AA a lot from South and Central America back to Canada) , and connecting in MIA, bags are checked through, even if the ITI station is closed.

Note ensure you have a generous amount of time to connect - at least 2 hours preferably 4.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It is probably too late for you now, but you can fly direct from Puerta Plata to the U.K. Check with a Dominican travel agent. Avoid the U.S. at all costs for changing planes. You have an excellent chance on missing your connection and they could not care less.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Direct flights from UK to POP were much more expensive over the holidays I got a cheaper one to STI via JFK. Although charters to POP with a week notice could be very cheap but I don't have the luxuary and have to book way ahead.

It sounds like no matter what card we already have we must queue and queue and then queue a bit more. Normally I don't care but as I arrive at 22:20 I was hoping to get out before midnight...

(I have about 3 hours for connecting at JFK - let's hope it is enough, I have seen INS queues before, sometime they are a mile long !?)

Thanks for the really good info....

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Call AA and ask if LHR - STI is an ITI connection specifically to see if the bags are checked through. They are for SDQ-LHR via MIA so I am wondering why they say it is not the same, the other way around.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i am sure that Atlanta Has the ITI program with customs, mean that your luggage will be offload for a international flights into another international flight.

Just make sure if you check your bags as ITI, they will Palce the Orange ITI bag on them. Otherwise you must clear Customs with your bag.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the tip, but I am flying with American Airlines (AA) through JFK and apparantly ALL passengers arriving from UK to USA need to clear customs even if they are only connecting to another flight to another country.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
There is no transit facility in JFK like MIA has so you are stuck waiting 30 minutes then humping the bags, though not a huge distance. Still a pain vs. through checking.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Spoke to AA :

1- Go through INS
2- Pick up suitcase
3- Go through customs (with suitcase)
4- Right after customs there is a AA place to drop off suitcase again (no check-in required)
5- Go straight to boarding gate for STI (no check-in required)

Phewwwww..... (direct UK to POP is worth a few quid more now !)

* Also the same on the way back

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
They failed to mention after the customs bag drop you are in the insecure area of the airport and will need to reenter with the TSA security check - depending on the time of day and terminal that you have to go to vs. where you arrived this can be over an hour on a good day. Expect the whole process to use up the whole 3 hours with INS lineup, waiting for bags, customs lineup, terminal change, TSA lineup.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought !
Everything was pretty much as described above. I was lucky that there wasn't much waiting or long queues but I can imagine it could be very busy. I think next time I prefer the direct flight though because my return flight door-to-door (from Sosua to North London, UK) took 19 hours !? That is with a taxi from Sosua to STI and public transport from Heathrow to my flat.

Thanks for all the help