Visiting the border market

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
I am thinking of visiting one of the border markets on my trip to DR -
Does anyone know what days of the week they are - and which is the best place to go? Will be staying up in Cabarete.
Is it worth the trip to see them? Are they safe to go to (will have my girlfriend with me)?
Any info much appreciated.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
Dajabon Market

If you are in Cabarete, you are looking at about a 3 - 3 1/2 hr. drive to Dajabon. It is interesting to see, but I don't know if that in itself is worth a 3 hr. trip.

I would suggest making a 2 day trip out of it and leave Cabarete on a thursday or sunday morning, check out Montecristi and Manzanillo while you are there the day you arrive and go to the market the next morning. You can spend the night in Montechico Hotel in Montecristi which is right on the water and was only 500 pesos a night last time I stayed there. Decent local standard with AC & hot water.

Market days are monday and friday, and things wind down by noon, although it is open until 3pm I think. Better off going a bit early in the morning, and head back to Cabarete after the market. Make sure you buy some Haitian rum.

There are pickpockets so be alert, but other than that I think it is safe.