Immigrating to Canada

canadiangrrl

Jul 22, 2005
Hello everyone,

I have a question and I hope that you all can give me some advice.
I am from Canada and my husband is Dominican. We met in August 2003 and were married in November 2004. I am sponsoring him here to Canada and I had sent the application in April 2005.

In May 2005 my husband's Application for PR was sent to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti. He had his interview in October 2005 and at that time they had taken his passport.

Now my question is this - since the first week of November the status of his application was changed to reflect "DECISION MADE" and that the Embassy would be contacting my husband. To date, no one has contacted him. How long does it usually take to be contacted once a decision has been made? It just seems like it is taking so long - Is this normal procedure? Should I start to panic???!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
canadiangrrl said:
Hello everyone,

I have a question and I hope that you all can give me some advice.
I am from Canada and my husband is Dominican. We met in August 2003 and were married in November 2004. I am sponsoring him here to Canada and I had sent the application in April 2005.

In May 2005 my husband's Application for PR was sent to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti. He had his interview in October 2005 and at that time they had taken his passport.

Now my question is this - since the first week of November the status of his application was changed to reflect "DECISION MADE" and that the Embassy would be contacting my husband. To date, no one has contacted him. How long does it usually take to be contacted once a decision has been made? It just seems like it is taking so long - Is this normal procedure? Should I start to panic???!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The Canadian Embassy in the DR will contact him. If you have not heard anything by the end of december contact your member of parliment, they should be looking for votes, so they should have better luck getting an answer than you. You could also phone/e-mail the Canadian Embassy in Port-au-prince. They answered my e-mails.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
chuckuindy said:
I hope that Robert does not get upset but many answers can be found either using the search engine on DR1 or looking at this site:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com/

Chuckuindy

You must have missed the word CANADA in the OP chucky. ;)

Here's the number to call and email address in Haiti

Postal Address
Canadian Embassy
A.P. 2054
Santo Domingo
Dominican Republic
Telephone: 809-685-1136
Fax: 809-682-2691
E-mail: port-au-prince-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/dominicanrepublic/visas-en.asp

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
it could be any day

I am sure they will call your husband before the 8 weeks are up. When we called we were told this step takes anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks.

canadiangrrl

Jul 22, 2005
I've tried to email the Embassy in Haiti, but I haven't heard a response from them and it's been almost 3 weeks.

People have been telling me to email my MP, especially now with the election - Thanks again for the advice. If we don't hear anything by the end of the month then that's what I will do. I was hoping that he could be here in Canada before Christmas so we can spend the holidays together:cry:

Thanks again

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
If I were you I would call the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo and speak to someone there. They definitely have it by now - everyone i know neevr received a phone call to pick-up the passport. We Canadians called and got that information and then told our loved ones to go to pick it up at the embassy. That goes for 2 friends and myself.

Where in Canada do you live?

Shelley

Oct 16, 2004
call Haiti

It can take that long for many reasons. In my case, his passport was apparently held up during shipping between Haiti and the DR. Call immigration in Haiti and ask to speak with someone. If you get voice mail, press 0 and ask to hold until someone is available. They will be able to help you. At first, they will be quite abrupt with you but if you're really nice and suck up a bit, they can be very helpful. It's a little premature to contact any government officials as the processing time they have posted for their office is a minimum of 9 months (to upwards of over a year). They are still within that range so, as frustrating as it is (believe me, I know) you can not say they are not doing their part.

Good luck! I'm sure he'll be here for the holidays!

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Melissa said:
If I were you I would call the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo and speak to someone there. They definitely have it by now - everyone i know neevr received a phone call to pick-up the passport. We Canadians called and got that information and then told our loved ones to go to pick it up at the embassy. That goes for 2 friends and myself.

I agree with calling the Embassy. We experienced delays during the process with things being held up in Santo Domingo for no reason. When the passport was ready, my ex did receive a call directly from the embassy.

canadiangrrl

Jul 22, 2005
Thanks!

From the time of my husband's interview, it's been 7 weeks. Thanks everyone for your info - I will call the Embassy in Santo Domingo and try the email addresses as well.

Yes, it is very frustrating - like I said, I've emailed the Embassy in Haiti about 3 times and I received no response.

I do hope he'll be here for the holidays and thank you all for your well wishes!!

canadiangrrl

Jul 22, 2005
Melissa said:

Hi Melissa - I live in Toronto

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
I don't understand how things got sent to the Embassy in Haiti if he is Dominican. Did someone make a mistake?

MeDominican

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
MeDominican said:
I don't understand how things got sent to the Embassy in Haiti if he is Dominican. Did someone make a mistake?

MeDominican

For people from the non-English speaking islands in the Carribean, the Canadian Embassy in Port-au-Prince handles all immigration matters. Does it make sense, no, but what can you do.

canadiangrrl

Jul 22, 2005
Received a reply!!

From my last post, I called the Embassy in Santo Domingo - and did not get anywhere - I was bounced from person to person to person who did not help me, and then finally was transferred to voicemail.

On Nelly's advice I emailed Francoise Roy and received an answer this morning stating my husband's passport and visa were sent to Santo Domingo and she would investigate it further and let me know when he will be able to pick them up - and she did send well wishes to me for Christmas and New Year's with my husband - so it looks like it will be any day.

Thanks again you guys!:classic: