boca chica beach

andreaincali

Dec 5, 2005
does anyone have experiences from staying in Boca Chica beach? I have been to Cabarete, loved it, the location, nightlife, etc... and was wondering if anyone has stayed in boca chica and if it compared?

Another question regarding punta cana....if you do not stay in a all inclusive is there a town that you can walk around in, etc (similiar to cabarete)

thanks!

Sep 19, 2005
tried to get into boca chica over thanksgiving week. On the road from San Fransisco de macoris (rte 3) the sign for Boca Chica led us right to a construction project( not even 1/4mile from the ramp) and the road was closed completely...think they had a detour sign out?...not hardly.. and there was no other road . We had to turn around and went down the highway some more and found a road off the highway with no exit or over pass. and followed it into Boca Chica, but we couldnt see the beach very well because of all the shops. It didnt seem like there was much public access, but we were on a narrow road with lots of traffic. My point being they werent very helpfull in trying to get us there.. good luck...bob

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Me Gusta...

Rocky said:
There's no comparison between the 2 beaches.
Last time I saw Boca Chica's beach it was pitiful and polluted.
Damn!! When were you there???

-Helpmann :cool:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Last edited:

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
I sure don't like the look of Boca Chica beach from the photo's above and even many others I have seen. One of the requirements to a great ocean beach is that it gets deep fairly quickly. Just like Sosua and Cabarete beaches do. Look how far people are from shore and the waters only at there waist. A good childrens beach or for adults that can't swim. Not a great ocean beach tho, in my opinion.

I am a Kiwi, I should know my beaches, lol.

Bruce

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
August 2004

Rocky said:
Dang, when were those photos taken?
Recently?
I took them in August 2004, near the Playa Vista Beach Bar. I was in Boca Chica in May '05 and the beach looks the same as it did in '04.

-Helpmann :)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Kiwicanuck said:
One of the requirements to a great ocean beach is that it gets deep fairly quickly. Just like Sosua and Cabarete beaches do. Look how far people are from shore and the waters only at there waist. A good childrens beach or for adults that can't swim. Not a great ocean beach tho, in my opinion.
I happen to like the fact that the waters are calm and not deep, no undertow. Kind of like a giant wading pool. I live in NJ where the waters are rougher and deeper, this was my first experience with this kind of lagoon.

I only wish the water was a bit cleaner and that there was more of a beach. There are places where there is no more sand.

helpmann

On Vacation!
May 18, 2004
Different Tastes..

Kiwicanuck said:
I sure don't like the look of Boca Chica beach from the photo's above and even many others I have seen. One of the requirements to a great ocean beach is that it gets deep fairly quickly. Just like Sosua and Cabarete beaches do. Look how far people are from shore and the waters only at there waist. A good childrens beach or for adults that can't swim. Not a great ocean beach tho, in my opinion.
Boca Chica is definitely unlike the beaches in the North. It's a lagoon; the beach is enclosed by one of largest natural reefs in the Caribbean. The reef minimizes the tide and keeps out the fish and sharks. The water is very calm and shallow. You can walk about 100 meters out and still only be waist to neck high in the water. The water is calm enough to paddleboat or jet ski in, but still deep enough to drive a powerboat through.

What I like the most about the beach (excluding the women) is that you can set-up a beach chair a couple of yards from the surf without worry of being engulfed by a wave.

-Helpmann :)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
helpmann said:
The reef minimizes the tide and keeps out the fish and sharks.

I like that!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like a beautiful beach to me. I especially like the fact that it is shallow. Most people I know go to the beach to play around in the water, not so much to do some serious swimming.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
Dang, when were those photos taken?
Recently?
The photos are an accurate representation of BC today, although some of them look better than reality. Good photos.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Another thing I saw with Boca Chica is it seemed to be much more of a "locals" beach rather than a beach with locals but tons of tourists. I really liked that aspect.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Boca Chica serves its purpose for the locals from the Capital and the AI tourists have their own personal section of the beach. It all works out well.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
The beach is much cleaner in front of the hotels than in the public area. Having two kids I like Boca Chica. You don't have to worry about them all the time. The public area could get pretty dirty on a busy weekend.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
here is my take on boca chica (The beach not the nightlife)

Ok..its not the prettiest beach in the world...especialy with that big new port or whatever it is towards the east. But the beach itself and the water are clean. THey comb the beach every evening...so what little trash is gone. THis is not true once you get past the parking lot area that the locals use. THe parking lot area is clean...but once you get past it it gets pretty funky. I have never really hung out on that part....but walked thru a few times just out of curiosity.

Yes..the beach is surrounded by a big reef..and one can wade for quite a long time....and then you can swim out (takes about 10 mins) to a little mangrove island to snorkle. (again...perhaps not the BEST snorkeling....but it aint bad)

IF you really want ocean swimming or boogie boarding etc...there are beaches that are very close by...playa carribe, juan dolio etc...(has anyone heard of embasy beach? i did somewhere...cant find it).

So...what is nice about BC...it is an easy flight from many places. It is really close to the capital.so if you need a break from the beach...you can go in and walk around the colonial zone and the malecon...if you are an avid swimmer or snorkerler...there are other beaches near by.. IT is also very close to the airport...and it is VERY affordable..

Dont miss sunday if you are in BC....everyone comes out from SD durring the day and have a great party....and then leave promply at sundown.

Unfortunately...for a traveler...there just isnt much to DO in BC at night. IF you do your reasearch here...they have pretty much closed down the main strip at night (to get rid of the working girls)....but nothing has actualy replaced that...and its kinda dull at night.

oh...one last tip on the beach in BC....rent a chair from the guys one before the last guy before the beach turnes public (or better yet...bring a blanket and sit closer to the locals...and save some $$)....they are great guys and always take care of me.

Sure...there are better spots to go to....but BC aint bad when u are on a budget.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jrzyguy said:
Unfortunately...for a traveler...there just isnt much to DO in BC at night. IF you do your reasearch here...they have pretty much closed down the main strip at night (to get rid of the working girls)....but nothing has actualy replaced that...and its kinda dull at night.
Most of the places have reopened (or are in the process of reopening). The Bar Austria has reopened. It looks like they have the pool tables from the old Route 66; which has also reopened albeit it seems to be more of a disco type environment than before. The old Mad House is in the process of reopening, but it looks like they are completely enclosing it. The only things still closed is Cosmos disco and the place next door. There is a new place called, "The American Bar" that is appears to be attached the Hotel Europa.

The only thing missing are the tourists. I've been told, the working girls are still around, just not on Duarte.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
jrzyguy said:
IF you really want ocean swimming or boogie boarding etc...there are beaches that are very close by...playa carribe, juan dolio etc...(has anyone heard of embasy beach? i did somewhere...cant find it).

Playa Caribe is the beach formerly known as Embassy beach. The name was changed a few years ago because of the business next to it, Caribbean Sun I think is the name of the hotel or restaurant. It is a great beach with good waves for boogie boarding but the undertow is too much for most little kids.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
some good news at last! glad things are finaly re-opening again!!!!!

My recommendation was to rent a chair/table from the 2nd to last set of table/chair renters (is there a term for them?). there is costalunga beach club...(green umbrellas)...and they aer very nice and trustworthy.....but i like the dude that has some chairs right next to costalunga....the chairs are a bit weather worn....but he's really good people. I like that side of the beach....most of the euro tourists crowd up the other end near the hamaca. Just make sure to ask how much the fee is for he chair before you sit down!!!

This year i just plan on bringing a big sheet and sitting next to all the beach chairs.

cool info about playa caribe/embasy beach!!! i had asked about embasy...never found it...and i didnt know i had been going there for the past 4 years! LOL. great tiny beach...HUGE waves for boogie boarding...and NO VENDORS!!!

Any other recommendations for other beaches and good snorkeling spots near BC would be great. I found a RT from Newark to SDQ RT 188!! i am so there in february

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jrzyguy said:
...there is costalunga beach club...(green umbrellas)...and they aer very nice and trustworthy.....but i like the dude that has some chairs right next to costalunga....
Strange as it sounds, even though the chairs say "Costalunga Beach Club", there is no Costalunga Beach Club. The guy who owns the Costalunga Hotel, which is a bout 5 blocks from the beach, at one time had an idea for a beach club. It didn't work out, and he sold the chairs.

jrzyguy said:
I found a RT from Newark to SDQ RT 188!! i am so there in february
The $188US doesn't include taxes. A few months ago Continental changed their website and now they don't add in some of the taxes until you complete your itinerary. With taxes, the price is $303US, which is still a good deal.

Have fun!