Ex-Pats-who were you before?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm interested in finding out a little more of who you were BEFORE you began your life in the DR. I am particularly interested in what your involvent was in politics, community affairs, causes, etc. things of this nature.
For example, if you would share with this board, in the U.S. did you lean to the right? Left? Didn't matter? Were you active in a polictical party in your city or state?

Aside from those that retired from years of work, and this was their retirement dream, what was the #1 reason you pulled the trigger and said this is it.

Have you substantialy changed from the type of person you were before to who you are now? I don't mean--yes I don't go to work anymore since I retired--no, I mean from within. Personality. Drive. Ambitions. All of th inner stuff.

PM s welome if you do not care to share in public.
No Im not writing a book its just that other treads have made me start to think about this and I'm just curious. JOHN

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I was a college student going to graduate school before a big bus called the Peace Corps hit me and then a semi named Mrs. HB came along and ran me down.

After 43+ years, I don't rightly recall what I was, beyond being something I am not today....:p

But that's just me, and I am the crusty old curmudgeon of this board...

HB :D:D:D

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
Interesting question.

I was a newly separated veteran getting used to a "normal" American life. Ha. I survived the war just fine but I was having a hard time surviving the peace.

I was working too much and living too little. Always stressed out about something, always flying off the handle at some poor, undeserving person. I was drinking a lot because I didn't have any other outlet for my frustrations.

I finally graduated from college in May (Go, Tarheels!) and thought that would somehow make my life feel different. It didn't.

I was making good money at my job but by the time the mortgage was paid, the insurance was taken care of and the SUV was filled up, I wasn't left with a whole lot.

And one day, I just said enough.

That's really about it, nothing too terribly exciting.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I didn't quite understand the concept of expat, so I looked it up in the 'donkey slayer' ('mata burros', a Spanish slang term for dictionary), and found the following:

expatriate
noun {C} (INFORMAL expat)
someone who does not live in their own country

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/expatriate

My question: What can you call those 'expats' who can (and rightfully do) claim the DR as their own country?

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Curmudgeon, I don't think so

Hillbilly said:
I was a college student going to graduate school before a big bus called the Peace Corps hit me and then a semi named Mrs. HB came along and ran me down.

After 43+ years, I don't rightly recall what I was, beyond being something I am not today....:p

But that's just me, and I am the crusty old curmudgeon of this board...

HB :D:D:D

( my dictionary )
Curmudgeon : noun, A gruff or irritable person, esp. an elderly man.

Isn't perception how others often see people differently than how they see themselves.

I would not have considered you elderly Hillbilly altho I have not had the opportunity to meet you in the D.R. yet.

Irritable and gruff, doesn't sound like you does it ? lol

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
so my question then is

Mirador said:
I didn't quite understand the concept of expat, so I looked it up in the 'donkey slayer' ('mata burros', a Spanish slang term for dictionary), and found the following:

expatriate
noun {C} (INFORMAL expat)
someone who does not live in their own country

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/expatriate

My question: What can you call those 'expats' who can (and rightfully do) claim the DR as their own country?
when can you claim a country is rightfully yours?

BTW--is the DR a dual citizen country? As an a
American must you renounce the US cit. in order to become a Dom. citizen??

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I was a workaholic superintendent of schools in Hyde Park, NY, when I burned out, quit my job in my 14th year there, sold the house and car, bought a cruising sailboat and, with my wife, ran away to sea. After 2 years of going up and down the intercoastal waterway and exploring the Bahamas, we headed for the Caribbean. We arrived in the DR at the end of 1985, spent several months in Puerto Plata, then got to Samana in March, 1986. The plan was to spend a month or so there, then head on down island.

We did go down island, but not until 1997. 3 years later, we were back in the DR, moving off the boat into a condo we bought in Sosua.

I'm not sure who is older, Hillbilly or me, but I agree that he is the crusty old curmudgeon of this board;) :classic:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
johne said:
when can you claim a country is rightfully yours?

BTW--is the DR a dual citizen country? As an a
American must you renounce the US cit. in order to become a Dom. citizen??
Dual citizenship is recognized by both governments.

-NAL

BTW: Anyone with a Dominican parent has the right to claim their Dominican citizenship dual or otherwise. It's in the constitution.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
johne said:
Have you substantialy changed from the type of person you were before to who you are now? I don't mean--yes I don't go to work anymore since I retired--no, I mean from within. Personality. Drive. Ambitions. All of the inner stuff.
This country will either pervert you or make you a better person.
Once you are away from the control of the "911 society", where laws and policing keep most people under control, the "real you" has the opportunity to exhibit itself.
I have seem many people come here who were on the fence, so to speak, and became scam artists, and others who excelled in this land of freedom.
Living here has given me a new appreciation for people who have good intentions and live by their moral code, be it different from mine, it doesn't matter.
I used to associate with people because of common interests and activities, with little regard or interest about who they really were inside.
Now, who they are, means the world to me and makes all the difference.
Other than my family, I left only 2 true blue friends behind, back in Canada.
Now, I have more than I can count on my toes & fingers.
At the risk of insulting someone I might forget to mention, people like alanindr & Mary, Danny & Dianne of D&D, The Healer, Campesina, carina, Howmar, Hillbilly, Larry, aka MangoLarry, the one & only Robert, El Viejo, Simon & Nicky, Dawnwill, Ricardo of Sosua, Anna Coniglio, Chris, Andrea9K, Ken, (just to cover the toes & fingers), shine like brilliant stars. (I know Anna doesn't live here, but she is very much part of our community)
So, now I have friends for different reasons than I used to, and it took living in this country to make me see the true value of who people are.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
thanks and second question

Nal0whs said:
Dual citizenship is recognized by both governments.

-NAL

BTW: Anyone with a Dominican parent has the right to claim their Dominican citizenship dual or otherwise. It's in the constitution.

Nal-would you happen to know what percentage of ex pats take Dom Rep. citizenship?

JOHN

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
I worked for an american registrar body. I also was a university assistant professor, tired of the can dos and can not dos of life in university and the fast passing days. Somehow I am doing the same here (educating) in other level and with other methodologies. BUT with a sunny sky over my head, green everywhere, good weather all year round and gorgeous beaches close enough. Unfortunately, my work is delivered as projects, so whenever I am approaching a deadline I can work up to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week if it is necessary. Most the times it is not, but when it is... rats!

Jess

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Stirring the pot

Rocky said:
This country will either pervert you or make you a better person.
Once you are away from the control of the "911 society", where laws and policing keep most people under control, the "real you" has the opportunity to exhibit itself.
I have seem many people come here who were on the fence, so to speak, and became scam artists, and others who excelled in this land of freedom.
Living here has given me a new appreciation for people who have good intentions and live by their moral code, be it different from mine, it doesn't matter.
I used to associate with people because of common interests and activities, with little regard or interest about who they really were inside.
Now, who they are, means the world to me and makes all the difference.
Other than my family, I left only 2 true blue friends behind, back in Canada.
Now, I have more than I can count on my toes & fingers.
At the risk of insulting someone I might forget to mention, people like alanindr & Mary, Danny & Dianne of D&D, The Healer, Campesina, carina, Howmar, Hillbilly, Larry, aka MangoLarry, the one & only Robert, El Viejo, Simon & Nicky, Dawnwill, Ricardo of Sosua, Anna Coniglio, Chris, Andrea9K, Ken, (just to cover the toes & fingers), shine like brilliant stars. (I know Anna doesn't live here, but she is very much part of our community)
So, now I have friends for different reasons than I used to, and it took living in this country to make me see the true value of who people are.

You forgot Scott, you guys are just having a tiff, he owes you to much to continue his boyscott, oop's, I meant boycott.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Kiwicanuck, my personal opinion is that making a personal matter between individuals a topic of discussion on a public message board is in very poor taste. Perhaps you would like to air your personal affairs so that we can all comment on them.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Criss Colon said:
I couldn't afford the "PU$$Y":lick: in the United States!:cry:
Or want it for that matter!
Hahahaha, at least one honest answer so far.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
I thought laughter was the best medicine

Ken said:
Kiwicanuck, my personal opinion is that making a personal matter between individuals a topic of discussion on a public message board is in very poor taste. Perhaps you would like to air your personal affairs so that we can all comment on them.

I was just trying to add a little humour Ken. I was not airing personal matters in public. It's public knowledge as far as I knew. If you would like to know anything about my personal affairs, just go ahead and ask.

Even better, check out my web page at www.kiwicanuck.com

I have nothing to hide, absolutely nothing, not yet anyway ;)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Kiwi Canuk : God, your wedding suit looks even worse than my high school grad suit(mine was wine coloured) I hope to soon join in the exodus from North America to the DR. My main reason,. weather, even as a kid I hated the cold even though I played 15+ years of HOCKEY, CURLING, ICE FISHING, SNOWMOBILING...ETC. Secondary reason: my wife would like to return and grow her business. I think that when you have a good income, the DR is a great place. Will I like it, only time will tell, however if you have the resources(money), you don't have to put up with lack of power...etc. I fully understand people like Sunny who would like to escape/rebuild themselves. I tell my kids, ages 27, 21, 17, 15, that every morning you the chance to start over and I really believe that. For those that have already made the move, congratulations and good luck, and for those thinking about it: plan well and good luck.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
At the ripe old age of 17 I came down to the DR twice for 2 weeks at a time at the end of my last year of highschool, graduated, and up and announced that I was moving to the DR. The heck with college!

So when my mom was convinced I was serious, she said," well if you're going, I'm going", and my brother (as always very efficient with words) said," Ditto". So my father was pretty much left without a choice. The house, the car, the boat, everything was sold and we moved down the same year in the month of September. 9 years later I'm all alone here but no one could convince me to go back to Quebec!! Especially on days like this when the temperature's around -18!! ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
johne said:
Nal-would you happen to know what percentage of ex pats take Dom Rep. citizenship?

JOHN
Unfortunately, I don't know the percentage and/or if authorities are keeping a track on this.

All I can say is that some expatriate are taking up their Dominican passports, while others are not!;)

-NAL