Arod, USA or DR in wbc?

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
January 17, is the deadline for Arod to make a decision as to wich team will he play for. Will it be USA or DR? Who do you think he'll play for? I am hoping it's DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
pimentel79 said:
January 17, is the deadline for Arod to make a decision as to wich team will he play for. Will it be USA or DR? Who do you think he'll play for? I am hoping it's DR.
Let's wait and see because only one person truly knows what he will do!;)

-NAL

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
Personally, it wouldn't bother me if he decided to play for the U.S. I'm sick and tire of Dominicans talking all that trash about how he denies being a Dominican or how he doesn't scream to the world that he is Dominican. The way I see it the DR has done doodely squat for Rodriguez. Damn it...everything this guys has is thanks to the U.S so, why in the world can't he say that he is an american of Dominican parents or that he feels he is both. A lot of Dominicans or those that criticise him are just a bunch of hipocrites. I bet anything that if there was an American who was born and raised in the DR who later became famous and decided to say "oh, I'm not a Dominican I'm an American," they would be all over that too. I could see it now....they would be saying things like "what an ungrateful person he is" and so on and so on. So, with that being said, give Alex Rodriguez a damn break already. He is an American of Dominican descent and that's that!

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
I agree with you, but Dominicans take great pride in him. You also have to remember, alot of his baseball skills were developed while he was in the DR. Therefore, DR has contributed some what to his athletic development. I am also a Dominican American born, and raised here in the states. My main reason for me wanting to see him play for DR is because this country is highly successfull in almost everything they do. The US is not short of any gold medals or athletic championships. It would be nice to see a small country like DR in a big stage, winning a championship witnessed by the world, against the worlds biggest, and most popular countries, such as the US.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
I agree with defender...

The reason why D.R. doesnt produce winning teams, is because they don't make the over-all commitment to train them and provide better resourses for them....and when Dominicans see a star rising in the community they want to hold claim to these athlete's without any contribution to there success..plus and just to clearify..I played against A-Rod many times in Miami, with my high school and in the spring leagues as well his spanish was awful and he did not want to speak it most of the times

He developed most of his skill in the U.S. and not in the D.R. yes he would play sandlot ball and all, but not until he was in pony league and high school did you see his talents come of age, he is stuck between two countries now trying to make everyone happy, I believe he won't play at all! for this reason, according to his cousin who plays softball with me here in Orlando Fl.

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
A-Rod should play for the U.S.A , just for the plaon fact that D.R is not gonna need him and everyone and thier mother knows he is Dominican and proud,so Dominicans should just fall back and let him shine.It would be pretty sadd to see an Argentine-American playing for Argentina(soccer[Agrentina is a powerhouse in soccer and is second only to Brazil in producing incredible soccer players that play all over the world),For Argentina it would be insult for that to happen(needing foriegn players to compete instead of domestically produced players) and the rest of the world would see it that way.Dr in baseball is seen the same way(Country that produces many talented baseball players),DR has like 3 guys that could fill alex"s position .It would also be better for Alex , i think he would get more endoresments (let him get that money).

Last edited:

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
Arod is on the verge of becoming the best in the game. It would be nice for DR to be represented for his accomplishments, and stamped in the record books, recognized by baseball fans for many years to come.
note: If ARod were to play for DR even though he was born, and raised in the US, he will certainly not be the first. example: Doug Mirabelli was born and raised in Arizona, but he will be representing Italy in the WBC.

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
According to ESPN and MLB He already stated in several occasions that he would want to represent the Dominican team in the WBC.. The only problem is that is up to Commissioner Selig to decide what country he will play for, as well as with Moses Alou. Either or are as well as any other player with the same condition is not listed in any of the roster as of right now. But both have already said who they want to represent.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
He has no choice

If A-rod plays for the American team he will forever be persona non-grata in the land of his ancestors. If he plays for the Replublica Dominicana you will get a few sports reporters in the U.S. who will bicker about nationality etc. but no major backlash. For better or worse, he really has no choice IMO. He is very image conscious and I will bet dollars to donuts he plays for the D.R. .

As for catching...it is an oddity for the D.R.. They have dominant players all over the field and in pitching but no real depth or stars at catcher...It will probably boil down to Miguel Olivo and Alberto Catillo (who is a fine defensive catcher).

All in all, I can't wait,this is gonna turn the country upside down for a couple fo weeks and should be a ton of fun. Opening night for the D.R. will be against Venezuela, a strong team, and will most likely pit Pedro Martinez against Johan Santana :classic:

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
Malafama said:
According to ESPN and MLB He already stated in several occasions that he would want to represent the Dominican team in the WBC.. The only problem is that is up to Commissioner Selig to decide what country he will play for, as well as with Moses Alou. Either or are as well as any other player with the same condition is not listed in any of the roster as of right now. But both have already said who they want to represent.

actually, the commisioner Bud Selig stated, that the decision as to wich team Arod will play for is entirely up to him.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASA...t_id=1276699&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
According to the rules, Alex can play for either team.

P.S. Alex is more Dominican than Livan Hernandez is Puerto Rican, yet Livan will be playing for Puerto Rico.

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
How in the world is Livan Hernandez going to represent Puerto Rico, if he is not even Puerto Rican? I thought you had to have some type of ties to the country you'll represent.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Redscot said:
Opening night for the D.R. will be against Venezuela, a strong team, and will most likely pit Pedro Martinez against Johan Santana :classic:
If Pedro's healthy. He's still recovering from an injury at the end of last season.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
rellosk said:
If Pedro's healthy. He's still recovering from an injury at the end of last season.

Very true, I as a Mets fan feel that one all the more. Well, if he can't go I guess they'll just have to settle for the A.L. Cy Young winner :bandit: .

On the Livan Hernandez thing, I think it is ridiculous and the Cuban authorities made mention that they have spoken to the Puerto Rican Sporting Authorities regarding him and the other Cuban Pitchers, Contreras, El Duque. They told P.R. that they felt it would be unsporting and unhonorable to use the pitchers who have no real ties to the nation. The thing is, as the D.R. has a dearth of quality catching, P.R. has a dearth of quality pitching. It will be intersting to see howit unfolds.

On another note, Piazza, Delucci, Mirabelli and many other Italian Americans will or may be representing Italy.

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
daddy1 said:
plus and just to clearify..I played against A-Rod many times in Miami, with my high school and in the spring leagues as well his spanish was awful and he did not want to speak it most of the times

He developed most of his skill in the U.S. and not in the D.R. yes he would play sandlot ball and all, but not until he was in pony league and high school did you see his talents come of age, he is stuck between two countries now trying to make everyone happy, I believe he won't play at all! for this reason, according to his cousin who plays softball with me here in Orlando Fl.

I know this is way of the subject, but I currently live here in Miami, been here since 1989 from NYC, and am strongly considering moving to Orlando within the next 2 years. I am thinking about resigning my current career here, and am contemplating maybe to do my own thing over there, such as a sporting goods store or something. How big is sports in Orlando? My mother lives up there, and i never quite payed it any attention. All I know is that I love it up there, and have grown very tired of living down here.

D R HaTe Me

Oct 27, 2005
a-rod should play for u.s.a because he was born in new york and raised in fort lauderdale,florida. a u.s.a representer all the way

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
pimentel79 said:
Arod is on the verge of becoming the best in the game. It would be nice for DR to be represented for his accomplishments, and stamped in the record books, recognized by baseball fans for many years to come.
note: If ARod were to play for DR even though he was born, and raised in the US, he will certainly not be the first. example: Doug Mirabelli was born and raised in Arizona, but he will be representing Italy in the WBC.

Italy is not a baseball super power like D.R is and they actually need foriegn talent to even compete in this tournament .Theres a good chance that there will be a few Italian Americans playin for Italy.

Redscot

Dec 10, 2004
FuegoAzul21 said:
Italy is not a baseball super power like D.R is and they actually need foriegn talent to even compete in this tournament .Theres a good chance that there will be a few Italian Americans playin for Italy.

True, but rules can't be made with sympathy as a factor. It has to be a clear ruling that covers all teams/nation's. Personally I think 1st generation is reasonable....the Cuban pitchers playing for Puerto Rico however I find a stretch and unreasonable.