question, please help

andreaincali

Dec 5, 2005
Hello, My family and I went to Cabarete a few years ago and loved it, and want to go back this year. Spirit airlines has cheap flights into Santa Domingo (around $200 round trip) Is there any way to take a taxi from there to cabarete? Is this something you would suggest to do or not?

Thank you!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Here comes Santa, here comes Santa

andreaincali said:
Hello, My family and I went to Cabarete a few years ago and loved it, and want to go back this year. Spirit airlines has cheap flights into Santa Domingo (around $200 round trip) Is there any way to take a taxi from there to cabarete? Is this something you would suggest to do or not?

Thank you!

The distance might be shorter from Punta Cana--dont know --but from Santo Domingo I think you would be giving back most of your savings

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
johne said:
The distance might be shorter from Punta Cana--dont know --but from Santo Domingo I think you would be giving back most of your savings
...specially in time, you will literally lose 2 days just traveling. Why not flying into POP or STI? From where are you flying?

andreaincali

Dec 5, 2005
andrea9k said:
...specially in time, you will literally lose 2 days just traveling. Why not flying into POP or STI? From where are you flying?

We are flying from detroit, they offer going into Punta Cana or Santo Domingo, not POP :( oh well

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
I would take Punta Cana, stay at La Posada de Piedra or El Cortecito Inn and organize trips to Higuey town, Bayahibe and Altos de Chavon. In Bayahibe, I would try to jump into a boat to Saona and/or Catalina Islands. Saona is absolutely beautiful.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

Jess

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
If you want to fly to Santo Domingo, take the Caribe Tours bus to the North Coast. Very cheap...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Forget Punta Cana and fly into Santo Domingo.

One good possibility is to take a taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tours bus terminal. I think past posts in other threads have said this costs about US$25 dollars for the taxi. But tickets on the Caribe Tours bus to Sosua. This will cost you RD$240 or about US$8 per person. When you get to Sosua, take a taxi to your hotel in Cabarete. This will cost you about US$8 for the taxi.

Caribe Tour has buses leaving every hour from 6 or 7 am until 7 pm. The ride to Sosua will take about 4.5 hours, the cab to your hotel in Cabareta about 15 minutes.

Or take a taxi all the way. If you take a cab from the airport to your hotel, it it going to cost you more than US$100. You will have no trouble getting a taxi at the airport to take you all the way. If your family and luggage can fit comfortably in a taxi, it could be a good way to go and will get you to Cabarete faster than will a bus.

If you want to go to Cabarete, the idea about going to Punta Cana and taking a boat to Samana (after a long bus ride to get to the boat) makes no sense.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
But thats IF you can find a taxi that will take you all the way. The thing you DON'T want to happen is play taxi/gua gua connection all the way having luggage and all.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a million taxis at the airport and a zillion in Santo Domingo. Don't worry, there are plenty of drivers looking for a passenger that wants to go from the airport to Cabarete. If you have decided to go by taxi, the worst that will happen is that you will transfer to another taxi in Santo Domingo.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Oh really? I was advised to go the bus route because it would be hard to find a good taxi to go the whole way. I was in a different situation though and I've never seen the taxi situation at SDQ...:classic:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
why would you go by taxi all the way from SDQ to Cabarete? It'll set you back more than the extra cost of a flight from the US tot POP or maybe even an internal flight. I would just take the Caribe Tours bus, they're modern, comfortable and reliable, and very cheap; a taxi over that distance will probably mean lots of negotiation and hassling over extra gas money or whatever.

andreaincali

Dec 5, 2005
Thank you for everyone's adice... Not sure what were going to do yet, but now I have lots of info to go by!!

thanks again

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
qgrande said:
why would you go by taxi all the way from SDQ to Cabarete? It'll set you back more than the extra cost of a flight from the US tot POP or maybe even an internal flight.

Detroit to POP or STI is usually $200 - $300 more per ticket than flying into SDQ.

MCM

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
I agree that a taxi to Caribe bus in Santo Domingo and then bus to Sosua is the way to go. I've taken that bus and it is very comfortable. Also there is a taxi stand right across the street where you can get a ride to Cabarete. Don't be thinking of this as a big hassle.