Sending money - need your help

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hello everyone.

I must not know how to use the search feature of this site. I searched for threads on "sending money" to the DR. Didn't find anything that could provide me with what I was looking for. Therefore, I opted to create a new thread.

Can you folks list the services you use to send money from the US to the DR? Interested in web-only services. There is one I have always used but their service has been getting really bad lately. it's envios boya. Their rate is better than western union. That is the only reason I had been using them.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Escott_sankybanky2.jpg

Http://www.sankybanky.com

A Name you can Trust!

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
El Tigre said:
Hello everyone.

I must not know how to use the search feature of this site. I searched for threads on "sending money" to the DR. Didn't find anything that could provide me with what I was looking for. Therefore, I opted to create a new thread.

Can you folks list the services you use to send money from the US to the DR? Interested in web-only services. There is one I have always used but their service has been getting really bad lately. it's envios boya. Their rate is better than western union. That is the only reason I had been using them.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
;)

PayPal and AlertPay only work if the receiver has an email address and a bank account.

The best site, IMO, for sending money internationally is www.xoom.com. You can use either a credit/debit card or a checking account.

Westernunion.com also does transfers online but you can only pay with a credit card.

Another one is www.moneygram.com. I don't know too much about it except that you can use a credit/debit card or checking account to send money.

If you send money via Xoom.com, the pick up site will be Messon (for Puerto Plata. Other cities, I don't know). If you use Moneygram, there are a gazillion banks throughout the country that can facilitate the transfer.

Gawd, I know a lot about sending money to a foreign country. Too bad I'm not an dumbass or else I would be a Sankie's dream girl.

Hope this helps,

Sunnie

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
sunshine_79 said:
The best site, IMO, for sending money internationally is www.xoom.com. You can use either a credit/debit card or a checking account.
I always thought that xoom and enviosboya were the same service. Both logos appear at the top of enviosboya webpage.

However, even the highest fee schedule (they have four) shown on the xoom website seem less enviosboya. Also, the exchange rate is better.

What's the catch?

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
rellosk said:
I always thought that xoom and enviosboya were the same service. Both logos appear at the top of enviosboya webpage.

However, even the highest fee schedule (they have four) shown on the xoom website seem less enviosboya. Also, the exchange rate is better.

What's the catch?

I'm not sure if there's a catch, I've never had any problems. I had to use Xoom to send money to myself a couple of times cause I'm a retard and keep losing my bank cards.

I find that their rates are really cheap, especially if you use a bank account. Worth checking out if you need to send money.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm convinced I have the best system for sending money to the same person on a regular basis. I opened a separate bank account with my NY bank and sent the atm card to the DR. I can transfer money online to that account for a $5 fee, and the account costs me about $3 per month. With the amount of money I send each month that comes to .5% You can't beat it. - D

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just use Envios Boya. They partner with Xoom and the recipient can either pick up the cash or they will deliver it to their home address in either USD or pesos. Their fees are very low compared to Western Union.

I use them at least a couple of times a month and so far have been very happy with their service.

Danny: The difference is that the person who gets the ATM card cannot withdraw in USD, so they lose some money as part of the exchange rate as they will get whatever the bank is paying, which is always significantly lower than the going street rate.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
suarezn said:
Just use Envios Boya. They partner with Xoom and the recipient can either pick up the cash or they will deliver it to their home address in either USD or pesos. Their fees are very low compared to Western Union.

I use them at least a couple of times a month and so far have been very happy with their service.

Danny: The difference is that the person who gets the ATM card cannot withdraw in USD, so they lose some money as part of the exchange rate as they will get whatever the bank is paying, which is always significantly lower than the going street rate.

Actually the rate isn't lower. For instance today we got 32.6 at the Banco Popular in Sosua, while today's poster in the "exchange rate" thread got 32.25. The atms seem to use the going rate of the previous day. - D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
suarezn said:
Suarezn, whenever my daughter was in the DR, I've used Envios Boya. However, today I clicked the Xoom link on the the Envios Boya website and noticed their fees are lower than Envios Boya (sometimes, depending on the option, substantially lower).

I don't understand why Envios Boya would provide a link to a site that charges lower fees than they charge. Any Insight?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
suarezn said:

Thanks suarezn. And thank you all.

I am having a major issue with Envios Boya. I send the money let's say at 10 p.m. tonight. Back in the day when Boya was superb the money will be hand delivered to the recipient before noon the next day. Now they deliver the money late afternoon. Yes I know the money gets there regardless but people count on the remittance we send. That delivery time is unacceptable. I have had to use WU a couple of times because of this. I guess I'll have to use Boya when it's not urgent.

Muchas gracias,
Alexander.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
El Tigre said:
Thanks suarezn. And thank you all.

I am having a major issue with Envios Boya. I send the money let's say at 10 p.m. tonight. Back in the day when Boya was superb the money will be hand delivered to the recipient before noon the next day. Now they deliver the money late afternoon. Yes I know the money gets there regardless but people count on the remittance we send. That delivery time is unacceptable. I have had to use WU a couple of times because of this. I guess I'll have to use Boya when it's not urgent.

Muchas gracias,
Alexander.

Xoom.com will deliver the money to the address of residence as well.

Or better yet, send it to me and I will personally deliver it for a "nominal" fee. I do singing telegrams as well.