Major Marmite Catastrophe..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Reading Chiri's blog a while ago about her "Marmite Problem", I sniggered a little, thinking I still have an unopened jar in the kitchen cupboard somewhere. So, tonight, I find that the 'unopened' jar has been eaten. The confusion arose as I have a little jar somewhere on the kitchen counter and that is what I use, for my 'marmite soldiers'. Obviously the rest of the family used the 'unopened' jar and neatly placed it back in the kitchen cupboard after use. (No, I'm not very good with keeping track of kitchen supplies.)

So now, who is coming to visit from the UK? Take note! We're pleading! We need Marmite down here! ;) I'll happily trade a couple of Presidentes for a few jars of marmite! And I'll share with Chiri!

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Oh God no - Anything but that!!!!

Hmmm - Now, how can you claim to be a real Marmite lover when you only keep one jar spare? What if it got dropped or stolen? Then what would you do? I happen to keep two spare jars for such an emergency and I guess I might be able to LEND you one. Not wishing to reveal my address in case of Marmite thieves working in the area, perhaps you could let me know where you are and if you're local then maybe, if you really ask nicely, perhaps we will be able to arrange an undercover rendevous for a delivery.

- By the way, another occassional poster has dozens of jars of the stuff but I can't name him here in case of reprisals.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Also available in Canada

Chris said:
Reading Chiri's blog a while ago about her "Marmite Problem", I sniggered a little, thinking I still have an unopened jar in the kitchen cupboard somewhere. So, tonight, I find that the 'unopened' jar has been eaten. The confusion arose as I have a little jar somewhere on the kitchen counter and that is what I use, for my 'marmite soldiers'. Obviously the rest of the family used the 'unopened' jar and neatly placed it back in the kitchen cupboard after use. (No, I'm not very good with keeping track of kitchen supplies.)

So now, who is coming to visit from the UK? Take note! We're pleading! We need Marmite down here! ;) I'll happily trade a couple of Presidentes for a few jars of marmite! And I'll share with Chiri!

"Marmite" yeast extract I believe you are talking about, correct. I was weened on it in New Zealand. Toast, marmite and cheese.

It is definitely available in the Supermarkets in Canada, I always have a jar at home. I have never had any luck getting a Canadian to try it tho, lol.

That would be a good trade, a couple of small jars of Marmite for a couple of Presidentie's in Cabarete. The insight you guys could offer on Cabarete to the
visitors would be a bonus to them as well.

I hope you get a 'taker'. If not, my next trip for sure I will do the trade with you.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Simon & Nicky said:
Hmmm - Now, how can you claim to be a real Marmite lover when you only keep one jar spare?

You did not see the size of the spare. My buddy Peter formerly from Cabarete carried it around in his pocket on the beach and for an old duffer, he was propositioned many times (because of the HUGE bulge in his pants). T'was a BIG jar!

Before we arrange the secret rendevouz to get one jar from you (what will I share with Chiri?), let's see if we can 'con' some Canadians and Brits into bringing us a new supply ;) They want Presidente, we want Marmite! They want local knowledge, we have it! Seems do-able to me eh?

6 Presidentes for 6 jars of Marmite! Any takers!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Kiwicanuck said:
"Marmite" yeast extract I believe you are talking about, correct. I was weened on it in New Zealand. Toast, marmite and cheese.

It is definitely available in the Supermarkets in Canada, I always have a jar at home. I have never had any luck getting a Canadian to try it tho, lol.

That would be a good trade, a couple of small jars of Marmite for a couple of Presidentie's in Cabarete. The insight you guys could offer on Cabarete to the
visitors would be a bonus to them as well.

I hope you get a 'taker'. If not, my next trip for sure I will do the trade with you.

I'm going to keep you to this trade! Yes, marmite, toast and cheese! Btw, I'm South African and a SPRINGBOK! Can we be sports enemies but Marmite friends now?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chris, you can get it in the States too - my next consignment is coming from there. If I get more than one jar I'll consider sharing, in return for your unsolicited offer above.

But all the same, other travellers from the US might want to contribute to this worthy cause.

Further reading...

ilovemarmite.com
britishexpatsupplies.co.uk

At this rate we'll get DR1 right up there on google when people search on marmite.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Chirimoya said:
.... If I get more than one jar I'll consider sharing, in return for your unsolicited offer above...

Unsolicited? It was your blog that made me check the marmite stocks! and then I found the catastrophic shortage!

Seriously, we have about one month's Devil's Poo stocks left. Spring is not going to do it (thanks!). We simply have to find a way! :classic:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Robert said:
Send me a list, I'm going to England soon.

Here's the list!

Marmite! At least six jars! We need a few spare for the "black" market.
If you're back before Christmas, a Christmas puddin' with hard sauce! If not back before Christmas, we'll eat it after Christmas! :classic:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Simon & Nicky said:
- By the way, another occassional poster has dozens of jars of the stuff but I can't name him here in case of reprisals.

I just noticed this comment. Reprisals be damned! We're talking about Marmite here! It's a serious issue.. ;) How can my granddaughter grow up without dipping marmite toast soldiers into an egg? This all has to do with the future generation. And if the other 'occasional poster' is who I think he is, he'll share his marmite!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hillbilly said:
Pretty funny site!

Jerry Hall: "You don't "eat" it; you spread it!! "

HB :D:D

You go on and eat your "Postre de dulce fr?o, flan". We'll eat the flan, and the Christmas puddin' with hard sauce and the the 5-layer trifle. It is Christmas after all!

And on Christmas morn, we'll have our marmite soldiers dipped into an egg.. fer sure!

But we're having a fairly vegetarian Christmas this year - on the surface of it. I'll probably do a little roast pork which Richard and I will have with delight! While kids and friends look upon us in horror! And then they'll ask for just a little taste! And we'll have corrupted another one! :classic:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chris said:
Unsolicited? It was your blog that made me check the marmite stocks! and then I found the catastrophic shortage!

Seriously, we have about one month's Devil's Poo stocks left. Spring is not going to do it (thanks!). We simply have to find a way! :classic:

One month? We've been in famine mode for at least two days. I'm typing with the DTs, it ain't easy...

Fairy Godmother said:
Send me a list, I'm going to England soon.

One jar will do, as long as it's not the really tiny size.;)

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Chris said:
I'm going to keep you to this trade! Yes, marmite, toast and cheese! Btw, I'm South African and a SPRINGBOK! Can we be sports enemies but Marmite friends now?

Oh my God, Christ almighty, a bloody South African, that changes things, lol.

I protested the South African Rugby Tour of Britian in 1970 by taking over the field at Twickenham. Boy was that a long time ago.

At least the All Blacks are the best team in the world at the moment.

Cape Town or Cabarete, I would take Cabarete also.

Bruce ( a real kiwi name )

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Kiwicanuck said:
At least the All Blacks are the best team in the world at the moment.

Bruce ( a real kiwi name )

We've kicked your a$$ at the worldcup before and, my friend, we'll do it again :laugh:

Stay well,
Amy

*having a toast to all rugby fans living/visiting in the DR*

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'll dring to tha' mate, hic?~!

amy2761 said:
We've kicked your a$$ at the worldcup before and, my friend, we'll do it again :laugh:

Stay well,
Amy

*having a toast to all rugby fans living/visiting in the DR*

Enjoy rugby a whole bunch, and would love to sit down with you both and watch a match or two! Can't ever find any on the telly any more...

Must be the Marmite talking me bloddy head off......:D:D:D:D:D

HB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
After many years of hearing about marmite on DR1 I'm going to look for it today since someone mentioned we have it in Canada, I'll check when I go shopping this afternoon.

I take it marmite soldiers are made by slicing a piece of toast with marmite into 1/2 inch strips for dipping?