In Defense of Carol Morgan School

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
In the last couple of days the Dominican press, TV and radio programs, specially "El Gobierno De La Ma?ana" led by Alvaro Arvelo's strident's voice have led a frontal first page attack on this school because of the installation of metal tube barriers filled with concrete in the lateral sidewalks on Sarasota Avenue. While the reasons are not totally clear, it appears security against terrorism could be one, and to prevent parents from parking their vehicles on the sidewalk another one. Regardless of the reason, here are some facts:

1)City Mayor Roberto Salcedo sent his crews to dismantle the barriers due to the pressure, after certain permits were issued, following the irresponsible tradition of government to disrespect its desicions once they are made.
2)An anti-american campaign begins with this issue based on the misconception that Carol Morgan School is an American school. The overwhelming majority of students in this school is Dominican. Many teachers are Dominican born with U.S. education. The school board, and PTO is mostly Dominican, including almost every board president in their history.Simon Suarez, a prominent member of ASONAHORES was recently president and former student. Key decisions and policies are set by Dominicans on the board, although followed strictly by its principal and assistants, who are mostly Americans.
3)Contrary to what was wrongfully stated by Z-101's Alvaro Arvelo, the barriers do not block pedestrian traffic because the barriers are posted on the borderline of the sidewalk and not on the sidewalk itself. Arvelo sensationalized his version by saying that many pedestrians would be killed because they would have to walk on the street pavement. WRONG!! If anything the most protected pedestrians in DR, besides those walking by the U.S. embassy's barriers, would be those walking by CMS. If a car loses control, the pedestrians would be safer than any pedestrians in Santo Domingo.
4)Supposing the reason was to abolish parent parking on the sidewalk, now pedestrians cannot be accidented by parents' cars and the flow of auto traffic would be smoother with CMS's alternative parking areas. Pedestrians crossing would have safer areas to cross, since the barriers have ample space in between and do not move. You can hit them if you're blind , but they can't hit you! A blind person can use its stick to check.
5)If the reason was protection against terrorist acts, the entire citizenry would benefit, but most important our hundreds of DOMINICAN kids in that school. Yes, they are mostly the kids of the rich and the super-rich, but they are Dominicans and the future heads of many of our most important businesses and institutions. As an extra, we are protecting the children of our foreign friends which come from almost any nation in the planet.
6)This school is the most technologically advanced in the country and provides vital social services to the poor thru their social activities and participates in sister school programs in disadvantaged areas. I have personally gone to distribute children's books and do readings to neighborhood kids. I was a student here too. I am Dominican.

So Mr. Arvelo, perhaps you might wish to put your anti-Bush, anti-American feelings aside and advice Mayor Salcedo to equally take down dangerous street barriers placed by most of our other "Dominican" schools to slow down the car traffic(policias acostado), but that at night, they are crime traps and accidents waiting to happen. Mr. Salcedo could also take down illegal sidewalk car dealerships, sidewalk cafes, sidewalk tire repair and car repair shops and other illegal businesses occupying almost every sidewalk in Santo Domingo. How about "padres de familias"(street vendors taking our sidewalks? How about Mr. Salcedo...your own violation of taking all for yourself and the PLD party the sign areas in the tunnels used to "advice traffic to slow down and drive safely" for your personal political campaign ads to run for mayor again? Isn't that illegal? Check again Mr. hypocrite. Perhaps you ought to spend more time picking up my garbage for which my fee was increased by 1004%, but I hardly see a garbage truck.

Mayor Salcedo, with his easygoing manner and "cara de yo no fui" is one of our most deceptive and hypocritical politicians in DR, who uses part of his time in office to run his own TV programs thru PROGRAMARTE, Inc. He runs theater shows, tv programs, master of ceremony acts and others at our tax expense. This is the best candidate to be told" "e pa fuera que va". What with his obstruction of traffic with his "Malecon Libre", where he never consulted us residents in the area if we wanted to close our main street, so that mostly people from other vicinities under other mayors use it free, while we can't get to our homes on time? Is Malecon really free. Try parking!
TW

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree with most of this, although not so much with the attack on the Mayor. However, Carol Morgan school security is not as tight as it looks. I have had to enter the campus several times recently and they don't always ask for ID. How do they know I'm not a suicide bomber or a kidnapper?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Golo100 said:
In the last couple of days the Dominican press, ...Regardless of the reason, here are some facts:

1)City Mayor Roberto Salcedo sent his crews to dismantle the barriers due to the pressure, after certain permits were issued, following the irresponsible tradition of government to disrespect its desicions once they are made. TW

My sources tell me that Mayor Roberto Salcedo found out about the barrier after the ruckus was made in the media, that the initiative for the barrier came from the US Embassy, not Carol Morgan School. That authorization was granted not following City Hall's regular administrative channels, situation that raised welts within City Hall, even causing the firing of a Director. The barrier will be authorized once Carol Morgan follows normal application procedure. This incident can be attributed to interinstutional jealousy within City Hall. The media are buzzards, and like to make a mountain out of a molehill.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
It is my understanding that the school had their permits issued by the Ayuntamiento del Distrito Nacional in mid-October and that there was something about this in the Listin Diaro at the beginning of November. I also think that El Nacional published a anti-project piece on Dec. 5 that was retracted/corrected on Dec. 6.

I agree with many of Golo100's points. The only time pedestrians weren't able to use the sidewalk was during the construction phase. The school uses an American curriculm but is overwhelmingly Dominican in number of students by nationality. These are the youth who will be running many of this country's businesses and governmental agencies in the future and their exposure to community service and to nonDominican teachers, peers and ideas is, in my opinion, important to the future of the country.

Carol Morgan isn't perfect, but it is in my opinion the best option for secondary education in the country just because of the variety of programs offered and that it offers the chance for students to broaden their horizons by having nonDominican friends and through things like going to the Hague for a MUN (Model United Nations) conference or travel to other countries for sports tournaments.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Golo100 said:
In the last couple of days the Dominican press, TV and radio programs, specially "El Gobierno De La Ma?ana" led by Alvaro Arvelo's strident's voice have led a frontal first page attack on this school because of the installation of metal tube barriers filled with concrete in the lateral sidewalks on Sarasota Avenue. While the reasons are not totally clear, it appears security against terrorism could be one, and to prevent parents from parking their vehicles on the sidewalk another one. Regardless of the reason, here are some facts:

1)City Mayor Roberto Salcedo sent his crews to dismantle the barriers due to the pressure, after certain permits were issued, following the irresponsible tradition of government to disrespect its desicions once they are made.
2)An anti-american campaign begins with this issue based on the misconception that Carol Morgan School is an American school. The overwhelming majority of students in this school is Dominican. Many teachers are Dominican born with U.S. education. The school board, and PTO is mostly Dominican, including almost every board president in their history.Simon Suarez, a prominent member of ASONAHORES was recently president and former student. Key decisions and policies are set by Dominicans on the board, although followed strictly by its principal and assistants, who are mostly Americans.
3)Contrary to what was wrongfully stated by Z-101's Alvaro Arvelo, the barriers do not block pedestrian traffic because the barriers are posted on the borderline of the sidewalk and not on the sidewalk itself. Arvelo sensationalized his version by saying that many pedestrians would be killed because they would have to walk on the street pavement. WRONG!! If anything the most protected pedestrians in DR, besides those walking by the U.S. embassy's barriers, would be those walking by CMS. If a car loses control, the pedestrians would be safer than any pedestrians in Santo Domingo.
4)Supposing the reason was to abolish parent parking on the sidewalk, now pedestrians cannot be accidented by parents' cars and the flow of auto traffic would be smoother with CMS's alternative parking areas. Pedestrians crossing would have safer areas to cross, since the barriers have ample space in between and do not move. You can hit them if you're blind , but they can't hit you! A blind person can use its stick to check.
5)If the reason was protection against terrorist acts, the entire citizenry would benefit, but most important our hundreds of DOMINICAN kids in that school. Yes, they are mostly the kids of the rich and the super-rich, but they are Dominicans and the future heads of many of our most important businesses and institutions. As an extra, we are protecting the children of our foreign friends which come from almost any nation in the planet.
6)This school is the most technologically advanced in the country and provides vital social services to the poor thru their social activities and participates in sister school programs in disadvantaged areas. I have personally gone to distribute children's books and do readings to neighborhood kids. I was a student here too. I am Dominican.

So Mr. Arvelo, perhaps you might wish to put your anti-Bush, anti-American feelings aside and advice Mayor Salcedo to equally take down dangerous street barriers placed by most of our other "Dominican" schools to slow down the car traffic(policias acostado), but that at night, they are crime traps and accidents waiting to happen. Mr. Salcedo could also take down illegal sidewalk car dealerships, sidewalk cafes, sidewalk tire repair and car repair shops and other illegal businesses occupying almost every sidewalk in Santo Domingo. How about "padres de familias"(street vendors taking our sidewalks? How about Mr. Salcedo...your own violation of taking all for yourself and the PLD party the sign areas in the tunnels used to "advice traffic to slow down and drive safely" for your personal political campaign ads to run for mayor again? Isn't that illegal? Check again Mr. hypocrite. Perhaps you ought to spend more time picking up my garbage for which my fee was increased by 1004%, but I hardly see a garbage truck.

Mayor Salcedo, with his easygoing manner and "cara de yo no fui" is one of our most deceptive and hypocritical politicians in DR, who uses part of his time in office to run his own TV programs thru PROGRAMARTE, Inc. He runs theater shows, tv programs, master of ceremony acts and others at our tax expense. This is the best candidate to be told" "e pa fuera que va". What with his obstruction of traffic with his "Malecon Libre", where he never consulted us residents in the area if we wanted to close our main street, so that mostly people from other vicinities under other mayors use it free, while we can't get to our homes on time? Is Malecon really free. Try parking!
TW
Well,

You know how things are! Newspapers have to be sold (though many are free) one way or another and when they need to fill up a page and there is nothing to write about, they pick on things that are stupid!

Typical of journalist, especially here!

However, get off the mayor's case! He's the best since Nicolas de Ovando this city has had and Nicolas was in power a loooonnnngggg time ago! Think, 1500s!

-NAL

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
I agree with most of this, although not so much with the attack on the Mayor. However, Carol Morgan school security is not as tight as it looks. I have had to enter the campus several times recently and they don't always ask for ID. How do they know I'm not a suicide bomber or a kidnapper?
Good point!

I guess a little Karate lesson for the kids is not such a bad idea!

Hey, it's good exercise!

-NAL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Good point!

I guess a little Karate lesson for the kids is not such a bad idea!

Hey, it's good exercise!

-NAL

Let me rephrase - how do they know I'm not a suicide bomber or a kidnapper with a black belt in karate?;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Where did Mayor Salcedo go to school?

I know Polo100 wouldn't be blasting his own 'lineage', so where did this great Dominican leader Salcedo get his education?

Carol Morgan a terrorist target?

Puuuuhhhleeez. Turn off CNN, fools.

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
ok

Golo100 said:

TW

I understand your point .. but they should improve their security in their own territory .. the sidewalks are for the pedestrians and its part of the Dominican Republic ... if they have a permit ok .. the DR has given a lot of permits, not aproved by all parties involved to a lot USA companies/schools .. etc

( who gave permission to the united states embassy to steal a street, if you happen to go to gazcue in santo domingo .. look it up ) if i buy a ^ 100 ft. solar^ thats were the law says i should use .. not the 100 fts. and the sidewalk as a bonus .

if its about terrorism .. i think they're over reacting, the only terrorism act is the corruption in all Dominican goverments ..

If the Sindico is against it ... maybe he really didnt know ... maybe the Carol Morgan started building that without permission ... or maybe they gave someone an amount of $ to shut his mouth .

About all the kids in the school being Dominican i think its not a valid point for disccussion and btw i had to walk around the street when they were building them .. i live behind the carol morgan school and its still dirty with mud and rocks ... im not defending the sindico .. my point is that i dont agree with them being built.

Rob

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Roberto284 said:
I understand your point .. but they should improve their security in their own territory .. the sidewalks are for the pedestrians and its part of the Dominican Republic ... if they have a permit ok .. the DR has given a lot of permits, not aproved by all parties involved to a lot USA companies/schools .. etc

About all the kids in the school being Dominican i think its not a valid point for disccussion and btw i had to walk around the street when they were building them .. i live behind the carol morgan school and its still dirty with mud and rocks ... im not defending the sindico .. my point is that i dont agree with them being built.

Rob

I think that the vast majority of the students being Dominican is valid point because many seem to view Carol Morgan as an American school trying to play outside the Dominican law, (see 1st paragraph) and it just isn't - it follows an American curriculm but it is basically a Dominican school in my opinion. When most of the staff (non-teaching included) and the vast majority of the students/parents are Dominican then it really isn't an "American" school. It is not owned by an American company. I think it is a very good hybrid of the two cultures with the Dominican culture being the controling influence.

The school had permits, they notified the public about the pending construction and whether any one individual feels that the threat is valid enough to justify this type of constuction or not doesn't negate those facts.

I also had to temporarily walk around the construction (we must be fairly close neighbors - I live behind the school as well) but it was temporary and in the front of the school for at least part of the time they did have posts with yellow tape running along the road so at least there was a little bit of a barrier/indicator to cars that they shouldn't be right on the curb so there was a little bit of set off space to help out the pedestrians.

Once the construction was finished there was not any reduction in the usability of the sidewalks at all, and as was pointed out the pedestrians would be better protected. One time a few years ago it was one of the trees in front of the school that saved some people on the sidewalk when a van went out of control and almost ran up on the sidewalk one afternoon. So I personally like the thought of a barrier between me and the traffic.;)

It is not like there aren't many sidewalks that make you take a detour out into the street for one reason or another throughout the city and most of those reasons are never repaired (or at least they haven't been fixed in the years I've lived here) or are caused by others being rude such as those that park their cars on the sidewalk.

The interesting part is going to be the "discussion" about who is going to pay to redo that construction.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
"Pedestrian safety". I thought it was an oxymoron here in the DR.

Even though it was not the reason the barriers were put up in the first place, I like the idea of pedestrian safety. Add a plane new sidewalk to the mix and you'll reduce the risk of pulling a nasty Gerald Ford by 99%.

Wonder if CMS will cut the cable they supply the 'semaforo luz' in the Nu?ez/Sarasota intersection with, while they're at it taking down those barriers. It's my impression the intersections run better with the lights than a cop. And having a 'no hay luz' around the time of picking up/dropping off school children will just add to the daily traffic carnage during those loading/unloading hours. If CMS has designated parking areas for these operations, they are not being used to their full potential. Actually there's a small street with no traffic whatsoever parallel to Sarasota just 100 meters from the CMS entrance, where 'choferes' and parents could park and wait for the kids or (God forbid in this country) get out, walk to the entrance and meet their kids there and walk back to the car hand in hand on a safe sidewalk.........

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Roberto 284 and the rest

Just for Roberto 284- What do you do when you walk around the construction sites of "torres", hi-rises and even private houses that load their sand and cement in the middle of the streets(done by Dominicans)? Why can't Carol Morgan use some "construction" leeway? In fact, I have rarely seen as neat a construction site as CMS's work. With the exception of a pile of sand at the entrance, nothing else seems out of the ordinary. Except, CMS offers lots of traffic aides to help the flow of traffic and protect pedestrians crossing, something most "Dominican" schools don't provide.

Let's be real. The CMS parents' drivers who pick up their kids at school and cause all these jams are not Americans, but their uneducated and driving cowboy Dominican chauffeurs, who used to pile up on top the median of Sarasota Avenue. CMS landscaped the entire median and now the cowboys can't climb over with their 4x4's over it to cross over the other side of the street or park on it.

Why doesn't Roberto complain about Hipolito's PPH headquarters at Avenida Enriquillo, when in its heyday they would park all their tax-exempted jeepetas everywhere but the lawns of home owners for almost 15 blocks? Why doesn't he complain about Dominicans who visit Bella Vista Mall and park on top of everything outside the mall and neglect to use the Mall's expansive parking lot? Why doesn't Roberto complain about the chaos caused by all the "Dominican" political parties' headquarters on Independencia Avenue whenever they conduct activities and turn it into driving chaos?

Has he ever been at Palacio De Los Deportes whenever any activity is conducted there? Oh...I forgot...they are Dominicans....they're entitled to mess up whatever they want because they are "Dominicans". They can invade lands, specially those owned by "foreigners" because we were born here. NICE GOING!!!

Has Roberto ever driven around Piantini in thew area of St. George School a Dominican school imitator of CMS. Have you seen the most outrageous "policias acostados" ever? These are concrete and pointed rocks that destroy tires? Has he ever driven thru Residencial Jose Contreras with the monster "policia acostados"? Who gave anybody the right to obstruct us who pay their license plates?

TW

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
wtf ??

Golo100 said:
Just for Roberto 284- What do you do when you walk around the construction sites of "torres", hi-rises and even private houses that load their sand and cement in the middle of the streets(done by Dominicans)? Why can't Carol Morgan use some "construction" leeway? In fact, I have rarely seen as neat a construction site as CMS's work. With the exception of a pile of sand at the entrance, nothing else seems out of the ordinary. Except, CMS offers lots of traffic aides to help the flow of traffic and protect pedestrians crossing, something most "Dominican" schools don't provide.

Let's be real. The CMS parents' drivers who pick up their kids at school and cause all these jams are not Americans, but their uneducated and driving cowboy Dominican chauffeurs, who used to pile up on top the median of Sarasota Avenue. CMS landscaped the entire median and now the cowboys can't climb over with their 4x4's over it to cross over the other side of the street or park on it.

Why doesn't Roberto complain about Hipolito's PPH headquarters at Avenida Enriquillo, when in its heyday they would park all their tax-exempted jeepetas everywhere but the lawns of home owners for almost 15 blocks? Why doesn't he complain about Dominicans who visit Bella Vista Mall and park on top of everything outside the mall and neglect to use the Mall's expansive parking lot? Why doesn't Roberto complain about the chaos caused by all the "Dominican" political parties' headquarters on Independencia Avenue whenever they conduct activities and turn it into driving chaos?

Has he ever been at Palacio De Los Deportes whenever any activity is conducted there? Oh...I forgot...they are Dominicans....they're entitled to mess up whatever they want because they are "Dominicans". They can invade lands, specially those owned by "foreigners" because we were born here. NICE GOING!!!

Has Roberto ever driven around Piantini in thew area of St. George School a Dominican school imitator of CMS. Have you seen the most outrageous "policias acostados" ever? These are concrete and pointed rocks that destroy tires? Has he ever driven thru Residencial Jose Contreras with the monster "policia acostados"? Who gave anybody the right to obstruct us who pay their license plates?

TW

Read my post again .. your going nuts ... i dont agree with them being built and its still messy and looks awful ... stick to the point or else we're gonna be discussing about Japan .

Rob

mariaobetsanov

Jan 2, 2002
Dominicans as a whole onky locks up after a crime!

I am a born Dominican, I realized that the mentallity of most is this is a good area of town why lock your doors. In the U S we do not have bars on our windows, will not buy a hause in an area where bars appear on other hauses. that in the US is a bad undesireable area. I have lived in areas that we were the first owner to place locks on doors and windows. Usually there is no street parking in an exclusive area. Your chances of a robery are almost non-existant.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Golo100 said:
.....thew area of St. George School a Dominican school imitator of CMS.....
TW

that is simply not true..............and is a crappy thing to say.

................anyway.............

after listening to all the stuff on the radio, i was surprised to see that the construction at cms wasn't as bad as we had been led to believe.

the class of people when you and others were schoolchildren at cms (40 odd years ago) is just not the same as now. the school was not the same as now.

with that in mind, like many others, what really pees me off are all the plastic people who park their jeepetas, in front of the school to deliberately block the rest of the traffic.....with the "look at me.....i send my kids to carol morgan" attitude.
i know they do it, i know a load of them, and they are not the chauffeurs - they are chopos of the plastic kind.
even though cms won't say it directly to the parents, they are obviously the real reason for putting up a few bollards.
cms is completely embarrassed with their own clientele.

it's not as bad now as when they could park their jeeps on the central divide. i applaud cms for putting up barriers to prevent that (they actually had the kids do it - passed it off as a school project or something).

what i do know is that cms deserves all the gyp it gets - if it really is a dominican school (which i don't doubt it is), why doesn't it profess that, instead of playing on the minds of people who think it is american.
smacks of insincerity to me.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
bochinche said:
that is simply not true..............and is a crappy thing to say.

................anyway.............

even though cms won't say it directly to the parents, they are obviously the real reason for putting up a few bollards.
cms is completely embarrassed with their own clientele.

what i do know is that cms deserves all the gyp it gets - if it really is a dominican school (which i don't doubt it is), why doesn't it profess that, instead of playing on the minds of people who think it is american.
smacks of insincerity to me.

I would be interested to know who your source was on your information about how cms feels, are they on the board or PTO? How do you know the parents are the "real reason" for the bollards and are these the same people who stated that cms is completely embarrassed with their own clientele? Who is "cms" in your view?

Why do you think the school deserves all the gyp it gets? What I've observed during my time here is that the other schools worry about CMS and what CMS is doing much more than CMS worries about the other schools and what the others are doing in their programs. I think there is a little bit of jealousy that clouds many viewpoints.

I think that many are confused when trying to label CMS as either an American or Dominican school because the CMS culture is predominately Domincan but the educational philosophy and curriculm are predominately American. It isthe combination of these two elements, along with the best physical space (fields, gym, etc.) that results in opportunities that just aren't available any where else on the island. Another of the strong "American" image ties is the fact that other than La Romana (which employs Brits) CMS has more foreign (American/Canadian) trained teachers than any other school and it has the most English (esp. by native speakers) spoken on its campus during the day.

One last thing to keep in mind - not every American embassy family with a school age child sends their child to CMS, the government pays the bill for the school that the parent chooses - some go to the American school, some of them go to the Montesori school. CMS is not the "official" school of American expats.