Need a Decent Butcher!!!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I know this sounds silly, but does ANYONE know of a butcher in Santiago, Puerto Plata(or points east), Santo Domingo or ANYWHERE who knows how/will cut up a beef in the American manner?

I have tried La Serina, National and other Supermercados here in Santiago(and elsewhere), but can't find a butcher who knows how to cut meat that doesn't come out tough and stringy and absolutely inedible. They don't know one must cut meat exactly cross-grain in order to get good meat cuts.

Am I asking for a miracle? please be candid.

Also, if anyone knows where I can buy Corned Beef(fresh,frozen) I'd sure appreciate it. If not, guess I'll have to get on a plane and go to Provo and buy it there.

I'm DESPERATE!!!

Texas Bill

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, TexasBill!!

If you want the beef to come out like it does in America, make the butcher use a cow from America.

I think your best best is to find a Mexican butcher who knows how to handle one of those Texas scrub Brahmas, and knows how to deal with tough beef!!

Suerte.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Texas Bill said:
Also, if anyone knows where I can buy Corned Beef(fresh,frozen) I'd sure appreciate it. If not, guess I'll have to get on a plane and go to Provo and buy it there.

I'm DESPERATE!!!

Texas Bill

Hehehe! I know what you mean. Now, if you talk to me nicely, I can ask a friend a Provo to buy, pack in an ice chest and stick on the plane for us. How's that for a plan?. Really expensive though.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Pricemart in S.D. sometimes has imported cuts of beef. There also used to be a small store on Privada between Enriquillo and Betancourt that sold imported meat for outrageous prices. These are all precut/prepacked though, I don't know anyone who has a few sides feedlot Angus or Hereford to cut up for custom orders. If you find someone though let me know

:rambo: Hook 'em Horns buddy.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Bill - Provo is easier, believe me. Fresh Tuna and Salmon Steaks, REAL filet, RACK OF LAMB (sshhhhhh .... and veal) !!!!! The list goes on .....

Stay well,
Amy

P.S> Graceway - I'm lovin' ya'll right now!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Chris said:
Hehehe! I know what you mean. Now, if you talk to me nicely, I can ask a friend a Provo to buy, pack in an ice chest and stick on the plane for us. How's that for a plan?. Really expensive though.

Can you bring beef into the DR this way? Curious because I will be staying at an ApartHotel and would love to cook some American Beef Steaks one night.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
bigbird said:
Can you bring beef into the DR this way? Curious because I will be staying at an ApartHotel and would love to cook some American Beef Steaks one night.

SSSSHHHHHHHHH!!! DAMMIT!

To answer your question, it depends on who you are ..... :bandit:

Stay well,
Amy

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Currently I'm doing a project in the meat industry here, so I learnt a few things about feeding cows and pigs meant to become food.

Newborn novillos (bulls for slaughter) are kept with mama and milk fed for up to 7 months before they get put out to pasture.

Then, they are on pasture (solamente yerba) with no additional feed for another 7 months or so.

Then they go to a feedlot with 'fattening food' and remain there for about 5 months simply to fatten up.

I think when this project is over, I'll not accept another one in the meat industry. Although I grew up on farms and my Dad was in the meat industry, I'm just realizing that this is brutal stuff! Those little bulls are real cute.

Anyway, the bulls for slaughter from the biggest meat producer here never eat any corn.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Chris said:

OK, tweet tang, who do we kill to get this done??????????

TB

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Texas Bill said:
OK, tweet tang, who do we kill to get this done??????????

TB

For you, "I killa da bull!" ;)

Seriously, write me a pm of what you want - I'll get on the horn to a friend to get a price and I'll let you know price and cost to transport with Skyking.. Then the thing is done!

Its_where_I_Belong

Nov 5, 2005
There is a Swiss butcher a little off Sosua. I don't recall the anme of his business but he is pretty good.

Now I don't know if its like in the USA, because first best butchers are European, but he sells to a lot of restaurant owned by Europeans around the Cabarete and Sosusa area. Excellent Filet, excellent Rib etc...

cheers

AR

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It looks like I'll have to make a trip to Sosua, or therabouts----

and check out these places.

Thanks for all the responses!!!

Keep 'em coming.

In the meantime, I'll just have to SUFFER!!!

Texas Bill

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Its_where_I_Belong said:
There is a Swiss butcher a little off Sosua. I don't recall the anme of his business but he is pretty good.

Now I don't know if its like in the USA, because first best butchers are European, but he sells to a lot of restaurant owned by Europeans around the Cabarete and Sosusa area. Excellent Filet, excellent Rib etc...

cheers

AR
You are probably talking about the German Butcher, or at least that is the name of his store. His name is Danny and located on the East end of town. If you look like a tourist on a one-time shopping expedition, be prepared to eat shoe leather. If you convince him that you are going to be a regular, he may sell you some of his good stuff.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
l_th said:
Try Nelo's in Santo Domingo.

His butcher shop is located in a small supermarket near Evaristo Morales

He died about 12 months ago, his daughter is now running the supermarket.

He made good sausages, his meat cuts were so, so...