when is the best time to buy computer?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok guys, I am back to my quest for finding a good cheap laptop. I had my eyes locked in on compaq and HP high powered ones but I had to cancell the order as I read some seriously bad reviews on these particular customized models.
Now I am fixed at buying a centrino chip machine. I am interested in toshiba M45-s269 model. It will do just about all I need to get out of a notebook.
My question is this: when is the best time to buy laptops, before christmas, after christmas or after new year? I will be heading to atlanta soon so should I wait till after new year? You think the prices will go down significally?
So how is it DR related? I live in DR, I love DR and I will be using this machine in DR.
Now folks I know where the best deal is available on this model walmart $996.
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The general rule about buying computers in the US is that if you don't have an immediate need for it, wait. Prices always come down, especially as new technology comes out.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hollywud, I have seen the vaios and they look charming but I am not so much into looks. What toshiba m45-s269 has to offer, sony would cost me at least 500 dollars more with similar features. Price of toshiba at walmart = $996 . This is about 200 cheaper than other outlets. Not to mention, no rebates to worry about, just a simple cheap price.
AZB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Save your money and buy an Apple.

I just brought a new 15" PowerBook and it's amazing!
Just upgraded after having one for 3 years, never crashed, always worked, never had a problem. No viruses, no spyware and no crashes, it just worked. I used to be a die hard PC guy until I stated using Apples on a daily basis 3 years ago. Now I wouldn't go back.

Plus it's not made of plastic and will happily take a few good knocks.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index15.html

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:
Save your money and buy an Apple.

I just brought a new 15" PowerBook and it's amazing!
Just upgraded after having one for 3 years, never crashed, always worked, never had a problem. No viruses, no spyware and no crashes, it just worked. I used to be a die hard PC guy until I stated using Apples on a daily basis 3 years ago. Now I wouldn't go back.

Plus it's not made of plastic and will happily take a few good knocks.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/index15.html
Nice machine, but the starting price 2000 dollars.... yikexxxx. No thanks.
AZB

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Notebook or PC

If your looking for a notebook. The best quality for the price are averatec's. They specilize in notebooks only. Sure Toshiba is good but they don't like the salt air too much. I've had friends who have had them and the've just stopped working. Apple are desiner computers as is sony which are not that great. Plus all these companies make other things besides notebooks Look at averatec's web site.There notebooks are good looking and powerful.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
If you buy a Toshiba model the warranty for thechnical service and parts in US is valid here too. That's an advantage if it have any troubleshooting.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm also thinking about purchasing a new laptop, my current one is beginning to give me some bad signs....:ermm:

In anycase, I never considered asking on a board for suggestions, but since this thread is on, why not!

What laptop would any of you say does not warms up too fast (I hear Dell's warms up quickly), are very well built, has at least:

a centrino chip with wireless lan capabilities,
SD slots,
USB slots,
DVD-R,
DVD player,
DVD-RW,
and CD player,
the most optimal graphics card,
17 inches bright screen,
minimum 4 hour battery life (this is a big must),
infrared port,
Intel Pentium M processor,
2.0 mhz speed,
and at or under 10 pounds in weight.
Plus, 1 GB DDR2 memory and at least 100 GB video memory

When it comes to replacing techonology, price is not important if the quality of the product is good.

I have been looking into the Toshiba Qosmio G25-AV513, but there are two things that I am not too sure about:

1. The battery life is no good, barely two hours!
2. I have heard that Toshiba's stop working and there is nothing to bring them back once they die.

Does anyone here owns or knows of a laptop that best fits the specifications I'm looking for?

-NAL

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have a Dell 600M Centrino. Already had to service it twice for cost over $400 out of pocket. Nice features, light weight but ...not very good reliability...cheap keyboard.....friends who also have Dell agree...this model also gets very hot....you realy can't put it directly on your lap for too long.

On the other hand, those who have bought IBM seem very,very happy...I will buy IBM next time.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Everyone is telling me where to buy the laptop but no one is answering the original question. When is the best time to buy, before christmas, after christmas, after new year, now?????
Why are people sending me Dell website links? you folks really think that I didn't do my homework well? I have checked and check everyday, dell, toshiba, HP, compaq, gateway etc etc websites religiously. I mean come-on folks, it was a simple question. Nevermind.
I will do my own research.
Thanks anyway.
AZB

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
AZB said:
Everyone is telling me where to buy the laptop but no one is answering the original question. When is the best time to buy, before christmas, after christmas, after new year, now?????
Why are people sending me Dell website links? you folks really think that I didn't do my homework well? I have checked and check everyday, dell, toshiba, HP, compaq, gateway etc etc websites religiously. I mean come-on folks, it was a simple question. Nevermind.
Thanks anyway.
AZB
At least three people answered your question about when to buy (see posts #2, 3, and 7). And all gave the same advice, wait until after the holidays. I guess it wasn't the answer you were looking for.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
AZB said:
Thanks anyway.
AZB

AZB, I don't think there is a good "time" to buy a laptop. Good laptops are carefully manufactured to never quite reach demand. You are not going to find a "surplus" laptop unless it's the last one and everybody at Best Buy has depositted a little finger grease into the keybord, smudged the screen and a coupla wannabe "gangstas" ran off with the mouse button.

Decide how much you want to spend and get the best laptop you can for that money.

Also I think you are going the right direction with Toshiba Satellite, mine has given me two good years so far and still runs well. Averatek's are cute and little but I have done some repairs on them and really would only recommend an Averatek a a second laptop or a backup laptop. They cannot stand constant use and are much less tolerant of salt air than Toshibas. Also I have yet to find an Averatek that didn't make we want to slam it against the wall for having a tiny, useless keyboard, and for putting all the most common function keys (like delete, backspace and tab) in wierd places.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Mr.mike. You have given me the precise answer that i was looking for. You are a genious
AZB

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
I had a Toshiba Satellite and am trying Dell Inspiron 700m right now. It doesnt warm up like others said (at least not mine). And is almost 2 pounds lighter.

My toshiba turned blind one day (monitor is not working), but is still working as fast as I want. I have heard several times (at service centers here and in Peru) that Toshibas weakness is there, in the lamp and or LCD relay (the latter is cheaper to fix). One of my customers have had 9 out of 15 toshibas serviced for the same reason, all of them after the second year.

Comparing it to my new Dell, Toshiba warms more and the Hard Disk makes more noise. But, my toshiba came with 3 USB slots, better located than Dell's which came with just two and are too close each other.

Dell offers a 5 hours battery as an upgrade, which I got and the battery lasts very close to 5 hours (at 10% it asks for charge)

Dell monitor beats Toshiba's big time. Having learned my lesson with Toshiba (got it with the standard 1 yr service warr), i got a 3 yrs service for my lil Dell this time.

Jess

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Feature for feature, dell costs more than Toshiba. New toshiba laptops give you 5400 RPM hard drives as opposed to standard 4200 RPM by dell. Faster spinning drives have faster response. What good is a laptop with fast chip and a slow drive? your laptop will be as fast as your slowest component in the machine. The new toshiba has faster centrino chips ex: m45-s269, it packs a 15.4 " true brite lcd wide screen. sata 80 gig 5400 RPM hard drive. 3 USB 2.0 connections (1) IEEE , 4 in 1 digital camera chip reader, 1.73 gig centrino processor intel chip, dvd dual layer r+- burner with CD-RW., wirelss lan, good sound system and slim black casing weighing only 6. somthing lbs. Now compare this to your dell with similar features and you would notice that you are paying almost 300 dollars more.
toshiba's new LCD screen will blow away the dell image quality as well. The new toshibas are no joke and walmart has this model for sale price of $996. Show me another Brand with same features and similar price. I bet no one can.
AZB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
specs all aside....i love my old dell....and their customer service can not be beat! I have had to replace a dvd drive and a couple of other things...and they are here the next DAY!!! sure i could have replaced it myself...but their warranty is great...and i like their quick service.

dude...when i buy i again..i am gonna buy a dell